General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wood Floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM

Wood Floor

I guess Im bored from being home from work today. But has anyone thought of adding a retro wood plank floor to their HHR yet? I think it would make one heck of an impression when you open the hatch and see a wood and metal floor. Could make it a two part so when the seats are down it would cover them as well. Ok..someone please tell me I have gone off the deep end here...or more importantly...tell me this can be done. And cheaply too!
Old 09-04-2006, 03:00 PM

It has been suggested before. I don't remember when or where.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Well my search is not working again, so i couldnt look it up. Anyone find one available?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 PM

Hey Grey, try this link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=wood+floor
Old 09-04-2006, 04:09 PM

thanks...doesnt seem anyone has done it yet htough...I think me sees me winter project forming!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by greyghost
thanks...doesnt seem anyone has done it yet htough...I think me sees me winter project forming!
I would be very interested in how your project turns out. Keep us posted with pics and updates.
I had a wood deck in the PT that I traded in for my HHR. For my PT Woody I found a gentleman in St. Louis that did it for me. ($500)
Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 PM

I too am thinking it will be a fun project. I recently purchased an elemmat for protection to the back plastic cargo area, and it is effective but not real pretty. I also built a cargo bin to carry my tools and ladder in the back without moving around (Check out the link below). Since I have a lot of extra solid 3/4" T & G oak from when I installed new hardwood throughout our house, I have been thinking a wood removable bed would be cool. So far I have determined that:
a 1 X 3 subframe would be sufficent for weight and stability. The oak can attach directly to it. I am no fan of the laminate flooring products although easier to work with and more stable out of the box. Finishing would be with a black semi clear stain (to go with the black exterior of our HHR) and marine varnish for surface protection and sealer. This is really important to prevent damage for sure but mostly for stability to the wood in all temperatures and humidity conditions. Tops and backs both need to be protected. On top of the bed of oak, rails like they use in the back of the bed of the SSR would be ideal to "slide" things in and out without scratching the wood.
A pivot hinge would allow for the front section to be folded (or removed) when the back seats are in the up position; which in our case will be very rare!
I have a full workshop fortunately and have built a lot of solid Arts and Crafts style furniture and built ins for our home so I think this winter it will be the truck bed.
I have weighed the materials and the total weight of the wood bed would be around 16 pounds, which is cetainly manageable to get in and out if necessary.

Good luck with yous. We'll have to stay in touch as the projects advance!

Cheers....
Old 09-04-2006, 05:42 PM

Inspector..your so close to finishing it it sounds lie..so go ahead! lol. I am thinking of a decorative one as well, not something that stays in it. But the template should be easy enough...just trace an aouline from the rear mat. Adding a second piece for the rear seats area should be rather straight forward as well. Im guessing I could put a thin layer of elemat or something similar between the plastic floor and the wood overlay as well...just to make sure it stays put and doesnt scratch the interior. I will post pics once I get around to it...just need you to do the same.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Just make sure you get wood that has been treated for termites. You would have to do that here in Texas.
Kermit
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM

For sure. As I get going I will PM you with pics/problems. Still golfing season up here so I won't do much till the white stuff flies. The Elemmat is great and not a bad template starting point (a few curves won't work as it "tucks under" the Cargo tray bulges in the rear area by the speakers which helps it stay secure so watch for that.