General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

WOW! Sway Bar!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM

WOW! Sway Bar!!

The Sway Bar was installed today. I went out and took some flat turns at 50 MPH, WOW, what a difference!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:45 PM

I figure that is one thing I will do when the weather warms up. Have been calculation and I should be able to get my 08 in a month or just a little more. So did the rear end stay more level than what you expected? who did you buy your from, not sure if you mentioned that in any of your post?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
I figure that is one thing I will do when the weather warms up. Have been calculation and I should be able to get my 08 in a month or just a little more. So did the rear end stay more level than what you expected? who did you buy your from, not sure if you mentioned that in any of your post?
There is a company here in the greater Washington DC area called "Trick Trucks." I purchased the sway bar (and they installed it) from them. (I am not good with tools.)

There are plenty of places to purchases the sway bar, in fact, my other thread ("Just Ordered Sway Bar") has recommendations on it.

The car stayed more level and seemed to "hug" the road better than without the sway bar.

Peace,
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM

The sway bar is an excellent mod and very easy to do. It definitely improves handling and can be done in less than 15 minutes. Definitely something I would recommend to any HHR owner.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM

i had mentiond on another post that even my wife mentiond that the turns felt kinda sluggish and asked me if there was a part that i could get to help that out. i turned to her, reached over and put my hand on her leg, looked her straight in her eyes and.....busted out a austin powers!!! "YEAH BABY YEAH!!" now it's just some time to wait and get some more cash flow in to get some more parts and ideas going!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 AM

My son and his friend installed the sway bar on my HHR. Neither of them know much about the HHR. He said his friend first went to install it on the front and found one already there. Then they figured out it went on the back and the installation went quickly.

The question I have is why does Chevy put one on the front but not on the back if it's needed? The additional cost would be minimal.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM

I am with you SandyBeach, it was such a noticeable difference after I put in the sway bar!. Was worth every penny.

Just love the new ride with the new rims, tires and lowered more now!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
The question I have is why does Chevy put one on the front but not on the back if it's needed? The additional cost would be minimal.
If you look inside the rear torsion bar there is a bar that is inside and acts as a sway bar. This bar much like the sway bar prevents too much twisting of the torsion bar. On the GM road race Cobalt they cut the bar out of the center of the axle and welded in a new one that was thicker, gave them the same benifits of a sway bar.

GM also has to take into consideration the skill level and comfort of everyone that could drive the HHR. The torsion bar is designed to twist in order for the car to handle. If you take out too much of the twist you get an uncomfortable ride and erratic steering, because the torsion bar doesn't twist enough.

LONG STORY SHORT, all front-wheel drive cars are degined to have understeer in order to prevent accidents, since most people react irratically when the vehicle oversteers. The less the torsion bar twist the more oversteer you get.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 AM

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer...plier_list.pdf

Page 146, fig 316, Shows how GM modified the rear twist beam.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 AM

I installed the Progressive sway bar several Months ago but never really had a chance to try it out since my Wife uses the HHR. She wound up in the hospital back on Nov. 30th for 11 days, then home recuperating until a couple of days ago. Anyway, I got to use the HHR all this time and I've gotta say I love the way it handles with that bar on. Handles in traffic like a dream compared to how I remember it previously.

Quick Reply: WOW! Sway Bar!!