GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Employee Pricing for Ignition Switch Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by blocker44
You do not need to trade in your HHR
You seem to know more about it than we do. How about sharing?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You seem to know more about it than we do. How about sharing?
The only thing I know is articles that I have searched for such as the one below. I would like details as well as you. This is from USA Today.

General Motors is offering employee pricing on a new GM vehicle to owners of 2.6 million small cars under recall for faulty ignition switches. Some 2.2 million of those recalled cars—a slew of 2000s-era Saturns, Chevrolets and Pontiacs—are in the U.S., with repair work currently underway.
The quiet move comes weeks after GM said it would offer $500 off the purchase of a new vehicle to affected drivers—a provision that ran through April 30. The automaker's latest program, also unadvertised, will save even more money for those who use it.
"This isn't something we're marketing, but it's just something the dealers have in their toolbox," GM spokesman Jim Cain told us. "People are taking advantage of it. The numbers — we're not going to disclose the numbers at this time, but it's several hundred. And you know (it will) probably increase as time goes on."
How much does employee pricing save? Cain said he'd "prefer not to" reveal that but confirmed that the prices are generally under invoice, and — a crucial detail — owners can pile any existing cash-back offers on top of them.
Though it sounds tempting, it's unclear if typical owners of the 2003 to 2011 cars —especially the older models— would be able to afford, or qualify for, new-car loans. The cars often are on second or third owners, either people who can't afford more than the few thousand dollars for, say, a 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt, or who use them simply as "beaters" — essentially, spare cars or ones used for chores or daily commutes instead of newer cars.
The recalled models that wind up being traded-in for other vehicles at a GM dealership have to be checked for all recalls and have all recall repairs made before they're resold, says GM spokesman Greg Martin. That's part of the dealers' franchise agreement with GM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:48 AM

I've gotten a couple "trade-in" cards from the local dealer. I always figured when i bought my 2009 Panel, it would be the last car I ever buy, since I also have a Silverado and a couple Harleys. Only drive 4 wheels when it rains or snows, hence my Panel doesn't have many miles. I think if I remember right, the last trade-in offer was $6K. Yeah, right. I have been in twice asking when they are going to do the recalls. They keep telling me no parts are available. Take it home and park it, again.