GM Recall Campaigns For Information & Discussion of General Motors Recalls

Ign key and door key different after recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Ign key and door key different after recall

Not only did I get some generic key for my recall, but the new ignition key is totaly cut different from my old one, and does not work in the door. I thought this was done by lic plate, and or vin to make sure it was at least the same cut, and resistance. Mine was done by my lic plate. I asked the service guy a few days later if they may have had two sitting on the Tech's parts counter, and the tech, or the parts guy grabbed the wrong one. He said it was impossible, but bring it by so they can see what is going on. OK I just told you what is going on. Somewhere there is someone else driving another vehicle with my ignition cut, even if the key has been programmed to the vehicle. So now I have to drive 20 miles one way to do it all over again. I am starting to not like GM. I even bypassed two closer dealerships because their service is much worse.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

It's not GM, it's the dealer you used.
When mine was done, the tech tried both new keys right in front of me. In the ignition and the door.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM

Oh, I am sure it was the dealer. I love GM, but the
y are getting so expensive, and quite frankly the service sucks. Like I said, I pass two chevy dealerships, and even a buick/GMC to use what I thought would be a better choice, but if they can not get the simple things right.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Technical Moderator

GO BACK! They gave you the wrong key code, or you have had key cylinders replaced before. The new key and ignition cylinder are supposed to match the factory VIN, and therefore the door. If anything of a lock cylinder nature has been dicked with since it left the factory, things could be different and it ain't their fault.

Do you think that once a license plate is issued it stays with the car forever? Mine was originally titled in Michigan, it now has Virginia tags. NH is in the USA still, not the EU.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Here in Canada they are giving us a lifetime free key replacement - so the key HAS to match the VIN (meaning the door and the ignition key are matched to the vin). Yeah they screwed up - unfortunately. But you aren't the first one if that makes you feel any better.

Keep us posted on how it gets resolved if you can.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Sorry about the problem but the key issue is to check the new keys in the ignition and the door lock while at the dealer when you pick up the car, then this issue would have been identified and rectified right then and there, just a statement , an observation if you will that its a two way street, I can't tell you the number of times a customer would be in a hurry to pick up there ride , would not have the time to review what was done to the car.
Now conversely I can tell you it drives me nuts when the service writer hands you the keys and tells you your ride is out in the lot, here's the key pay up and go get it yourself. without showing you the work that was done, ensuring the work was done to your satisfaction, and making a connection of trust and goodwill with you the customer.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM

The same thing happened to me (06 LT) and the dealer's tech said the door lock cylinder was worn (?), but I've owned the car since new and used the key to open the door less than a dozen times. The dealer replace the door lock ($50+) and charged me $140+ to replace it.

The GM Customer Service Representative on this site contacted the dealer to resolve this issue soon, but it has been nearly a month and the phone hasn't rung yet. I suspect that the original key cut was incorrect and it was an easy way for the dealer to make $200.

And GM wonders why sales may be down.

Last edited by Old Lar; 09-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Old Lar
The same thing happened to me (06 LT) and the dealer's tech said the door lock cylinder was worn (?), but I've owned the car since new and used the key to open the door less than a dozen times. The dealer replace the door lock ($50+) and charged me $140+ to replace it.

The GM Customer Service Representative on this site contacted the dealer to resolve this issue soon, but it has been nearly a month and the phone hasn't run yet. I suspect that the original key cut was incorrect and it was an easy way for the dealer to make $200.

And GM wonders why sales may be down.
This!^^^^^