Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/ignition-recall-done-now-ignition-binds-wont-turn-52043/)

shybull 09-29-2014 11:50 AM

Noise in steering wheel after recall work

Took my 2009 HHR in for the ignition switch and power steering motor recall. Now I have a grinding like sound when turning the steering wheel in either direction. I first noticed it when pulling into my garage after picking it up. Never had any noise before this. I have an appointment for them to look at tomorrow. Anybody else have any issues after having these recalls done?

madashell 09-29-2014 12:01 PM

Im going in tomorrow for the same thing, How long did it take for them to fix it?

shybull 09-29-2014 01:50 PM

I think it was about three hours for them to fix both the ignition switch and the power steering motor. I just dropped it off for the noise in the steering wheel. The service adviser said it could be the power steering motor they just replaced.

madashell 09-30-2014 07:49 AM

I just returned from having the steering motor being replaced it took less than an hr and everything seems ok

ChevroletCustomerService 10-01-2014 10:29 AM

Hi madashell and shybull,

We’re sorry to hear of the difficulties that you both experienced with your vehicles after having the recall completed. We understand that you have taken your vehicles to the dealership for this concern. Feel free to follow up with us in regard to your visit. We look forward to hearing from you both!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

shybull 10-01-2014 05:48 PM

They replaced the recently replaced power steering motor. No more noise. They said this has happened before.

MCHHR 10-03-2014 10:24 AM

GM refuses to stand behind their extended lifetime warranty of the power steering motor of my 2006 HHR. Now I have a rattle in my steering column from driving it without power steering for 5 days. Probably ruined something from having to yank the wheel to turn. Thanks GM!

ChevroletCustomerService 10-03-2014 01:14 PM

We'd like to look into this concern for you, MCHHR. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We truly apologize for the frustrations this situation has caused.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Snoopy 10-03-2014 01:42 PM

Directed to Chevrolet Customer Service.......

You know, there is so much controversy regarding the "Lifetime Warranty" application for the Electric Power Steering Motor. Almost every owner understands the recall requirements. But conflicts appear continually for the 2006-2008 limited warranty. I don't believe anyone has been successful implementing the warranty repair......even though GM Media and the Federal Government have posted information relative to it. It even has a separate Bulletin Number of.....14119. GM Dealers essentially refuse to recognize it, as well as YOUR supervisors in the customer service group (they appear to check the VIN and mention it is not "listed").

I believe you, as the Chevrolet Customer Service Representatives, could do a valuable service to this forum and the owners of the HHR's that are covered in the WARRANTY.

So, I believe one of you should elect to champion this topic with GM management and bring some type of conclusion to all responsible parties.

If you resolve this issue, maybe then, some members here will consider your position more than a "social contact".

MCHHR 10-03-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService (Post 760493)
We'd like to look into this concern for you, MCHHR. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We truly apologize for the frustrations this situation has caused.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I've PM'd you my information.

MCHHR 10-03-2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 760496)

You know, there is so much controversy regarding the "Lifetime Warranty" application for the Electric Power Steering Motor. Almost every owner understands the recall requirements. But conflicts appear continually for the 2006-2008 limited warranty. I don't believe anyone has been successful implementing the warranty repair......even though GM Media and the Federal Government have posted information relative to it. It even has a separate Bulletin Number of.....14119. GM Dealers essentially refuse to recognize it, as well as YOUR supervisors in the customer service group (they appear to check the VIN and mention it is not "listed").

I believe you, as the Chevrolet Customer Service Representatives, could do a valuable service to this forum and the owners of the HHR's that are covered in the WARRANTY.

So, I believe one of you should elect to champion this topic with GM management and bring some type of conclusion to all responsible parties.

If you resolve this issue, maybe then, some members here will consider your position more than a "social contact".

Snoopy -

You NAILED it!! I was denied this warranty from my senior adviser's supervisor. When asked to speak to someone higher up, they said there was no one higher. So, I guess Jeff Boyer and Mary Barra work under them?? Dealer acted like they'd never heard of it. Even a printout from the GM media website, the NHTSA campaign# 14V153000 along with the GM bulletin 14119 just isn't enough to say my part is warrantied for the life of the vehicle.

It's like buying something at the store, walking right back in to return it with your receipt and they just look at you and say, "You didn't buy that here. That receipt doesn't mean anything."

donbrew 10-03-2014 05:27 PM

Let us know if CCS does anything for you.

There are indeed people above the dealership level, and below the big silver building.

MCHHR 10-03-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 760516)
Let us know if CCS does anything for you.

There are indeed people above the dealership level, and below the big silver building.

Well I don't know if CCS here helped or what but I got a call from a GM exec today. Check my post on https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50057

Maybe this will finally be taken care of like they stated.

ChevroletCustomerService 10-03-2014 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 760496)

Hey Snoopy,

We are looking into this further, and working with our resources with this. If anyone feels they need this looked into, remember we are a private message away and are always happy to assist the best way possible. We appreciate the feedback and apologize for any kind of delay with this process due to the ongoing and overwhelming recall responses. We hope to hear from any of you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

madashell 10-13-2014 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService (Post 760279)
Hi madashell and shybull,

We’re sorry to hear of the difficulties that you both experienced with your vehicles after having the recall completed. We understand that you have taken your vehicles to the dealership for this concern. Feel free to follow up with us in regard to your visit. We look forward to hearing from you both!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I have no problem My Dealer here in Mass is a good GM rep (Cerrone Chevy Attleboro Ma)

donbrew 10-13-2014 04:59 PM

How long does it take the social media people to get an answer?

VagaBarnes 10-16-2014 01:30 PM

Ignition Recall done, now ignition binds and won't turn.

Had initial ignition recall work done on 9/18 for my '09 HHR. Went to pick it up at dealer and car wouldn't start. The ignition was locked. Dealer took it back and went through 3 ignitions and 2 sets of keys and finally got it to work. They said my ignition sleeve had a metal burr in it that was causing the ignition to bind and not turn. (Granted I've owned the car for 4 years and never had any issues with the ignition or keys). I finally drive away in ny car.

Jump ahead 2 weeks and the ignition would randomly bind and not start again. Called dealer back and explained issue and made appt for 10/16 to fix it.

Today I drop HHR off at dealer and they replace the ignition again and say it's ready. Go to pick it up and the ignition won't turn/car won't start. They said it feels like a tumbler pin popped out causing it to bind. Last I saw they were pushing it back to service. I left in a loaner vehicle.

I just got a call from the dealer and they said they have to order a ignition/steering housing, because mine does not align with the new ignition and that's why it keeps binding(Excuse #3). The dealer said my vehicle is the only one experiencing all of these issues. My vehicle is 100% stock, so shouldn't the parts fit? Anybody else experiencing this?

I pick it up tomorrow, we'll see what happens next.

Oldblue 10-16-2014 01:34 PM

No I have not had this issue . Recall for ignition done back in April or early May no issues

donbrew 10-16-2014 02:25 PM

Yes, a few others have had that sort of problem. Unless the posts have been moved a quick scroll thru this section will find you company.

Why do you ask? Technichians make mistakes all the time.

hhr06NJ 10-16-2014 08:49 PM

I am contemplating NOT getting the repair done?

What say you?

firemangeorge 10-16-2014 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by hhr06NJ (Post 761776)
I am contemplating NOT getting the repair done?

What say you?

That's your choice.

Only comment I have. Possible liability issue if you ever sell, trade or even lend out the car.

843de 10-17-2014 12:51 AM

I haven't had the recall done on any of mine yet. It's not because I don't trust my dealer, they're fantastic folks and I have nothing but good things to say about them.(Ben Mynatt Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC in Concord NC)

I'm just waiting until they've cleared the backlog of outstanding recall repairs, even the best techs can make mistakes when they're under the gun.

George does have a valid point, if you have an HHR and you sell it or trade it before the recall repairs have been performed, the onus and legal responsibility to disclose that information falls on you.

There are already cases in several states where litigation has been initiated due to a former owner failing to disclose whether a GM Delta Platform vehicle has had the recall done.

hhr06NJ 10-18-2014 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 761786)
I haven't had the recall done on any of mine yet. It's not because I don't trust my dealer, they're fantastic folks and I have nothing but good things to say about them.(Ben Mynatt Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC in Concord NC)

I'm just waiting until they've cleared the backlog of outstanding recall repairs, even the best techs can make mistakes when they're under the gun.

George does have a valid point, if you have an HHR and you sell it or trade it before the recall repairs have been performed, the onus and legal responsibility to disclose that information falls on you.

There are already cases in several states where litigation has been initiated due to a former owner failing to disclose whether a GM Delta Platform vehicle has had the recall done.

I thought of liability, more in the sense should i experience a failure, then an accident.

i am not worried about after a sale. the next owner can get the repair done. there is nothing on the title transfer paperwork asking for recall repairs. I'll disclose it IF i sell the car, which i am not planning to do.

I am concerned the LIKELIHOOD of FAILURE. The key positions FEEL positively locked in their respective positions. There FEELS like no tendency to move to the "OFF" position.

it's just that there are A LOT of complaints about the FIX; and the number of incidents of failure were pretty small, if i recollect...

donbrew 10-18-2014 10:23 PM

I had a pleasant experience with mine. They didn't even try to sell me anything!

But I went to the Buick dealer in town.

LawDog88 10-19-2014 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 761782)
That's your choice.

Only comment I have. Possible liability issue if you ever sell, trade or even lend out the car.

This was my first thought, too...

holly2452 10-20-2014 01:33 PM

Door Key Sets off Alarm

I recently had my 2008 HHR in for the ignition recall. After I got home, I tried my key in the door and it sets off the alarm. I don't recall my old key doing so. Can anyone comment on this? Other than that issue, I completely happy with the way the recall issue was handled at my dealership.

SholtC 10-20-2014 01:47 PM

Try locking the car manually, then unlock it with the key...shouldn't set the alarm off. The "alarm" sets when you use the door lock switch or remote, thus the vehicle thinks you are breaking into it. This would have certainly occurred with the old keys as well. It will have nothing to do with the work performed.

ChevroletCustomerService 10-20-2014 07:33 PM

We'd like to look further into this concern for you, holly2452. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and dealership name for further assistance. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

843de 10-20-2014 09:50 PM

:welcome8: aboard to both of you Holly and Sholt.

Holly, you might need to do "The Dance of The Door Locks" as Sholt suggested...

Lock the door with the key not the power lock button, then open the door with the key....the horn should stay blissfully quiet.

If it doesn't work the first time, unlock all the doors, then lock each door manually and then lock the driver's door with the key. Then try unlocking the driver's door with the key, the horn should remain silent.

But, if you're still having issues, take it back to the dealer. If you're using the key because your fobs are dead, or lost try a Search for Key Fobs. There are ways to repair dead ones, and info on what's involved in replacing them.

donbrew 10-21-2014 06:08 AM

Have you checked to see if they messed with the "personalization" menu in the DIC? That would be in your https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...s-manual-3074/ (link).

1961mustang 10-24-2014 10:01 PM

My wife's 2009 had the recall repair made about 3 months ago. She told me tonight that her ignition switch will not turn at times, she can wiggle the key and it will then turn. Sounds like possibly a second recall ignition switch problem.

donbrew 10-25-2014 07:21 AM

More likely the old steering wheel lock thing. Just wiggle the wheel left right a bit to release the cog, then the key should turn.

That is a normal thing since the 70's.

timmay5309 10-26-2014 04:07 PM

When my recall was done, the key would stick into the start position, and I would have to physically turn it back to run. When I asked them about it, they said it should loosen up after a few turns. The turn signal cancel stopped working after the ignition replacement as well. Luckily, I brought it right back, and they had to replace the ignition sleeve, and did not have the cover put back on correctly which fixed the turn signal issue they caused.

rhomanski 10-29-2014 05:01 PM

That happened to me too. I always unlock it with the key as well. The dealer told me mine was done. I walked up to it and unlocked it and the horn started blaring. I finally got it stopped, went home and locked it with the switch on the door and it never did it again.

holly2452 11-06-2014 11:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've sent a private message to Chevrolet Customer Service and I am waiting for their reply on this before I go back to my dealer. I believe when my fob went bad, I used my key to enter my car and no alarm went off....just saying. Thanks Everyone...I love this website!!!

LawDog88 11-07-2014 06:13 AM

^^ If that's the case, you likely used the interior door locker to lock it up. So if that is the case, and you opended it with your key, that would be why it never set off an alarm, as SholtC suggested.

donbrew 11-07-2014 01:56 PM

As is stated in the owners manual; if you lock with the fob and then unlock with the key the alarm will sound.

Coppell-HHR 12-18-2014 08:03 PM

Ignition recall done-key barely turns & check engine light is on

2006 HHR (111k miles). Had ignition recall work done yesterday at 5Star Chevrolet in Carrollton, TX. Daughter went to drive the car today and couldn't get key to turn. Came home from work and jiggled key like crazy while pushing on it hard with my thumb. It can take at least 20 good tries and it will work itself to the start position. I drove it for 5 or 10 minutes and check engine light came on. I'm hoping it's related to the recall work in some way. Strange thing is no matter how hard or far you jerk the wheel right or left, the steering wheel won't lock. Going back to the dealer tomorrow morning and will provide updates later.

I also wanted to thank all the forum members for all their advice & photos on the butyl patch repair issue. I bought this 3M black adhesive ribbon caulk at a NAPA store and repaired the leak myself.

843de 12-18-2014 08:36 PM

:welcome8: to the forum!

It does sound like the dealer's tech botched the recall repair procedure, you may want to bypass the service writer and go directly to the manager.

Glad to hear you found the butyl patch info you needed.

Coppell-HHR 12-19-2014 08:16 PM

Check engine light was for a bad thermostat which explains why the temperature guage was flat and didn't move. Totally coincidental and reasonable for an eight year old car with 100k + miles. So thankful it didn't happen on the way home from a 5 hour drive last week. Dealer has two new keys ordered and I'm hopeful that this will fix it along with double checking that tech didn't install something correctly.