Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   went to the dealer for the recall... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/went-dealer-recall-50152/)

Snoopy 06-06-2014 04:20 PM

Jay.......

I don't know what else to tell you.......YOU ARE STILL NOT UNDERSTANDING what I and several others are trying to tell you. THERE is NO RECALL on the 2006 and 2007 HHR EPS systems. HOWEVER, they have including a lifetime replacement warranty on those cars IF there is a failure of that MOTOR on those cars. It is more or less a goodwill gesture and this repair is covered by a separate AND DIFFERENT BULLETIN.

Some dealers, I am told, are not aware of this separate provision and need to be informed and provided the written copy and/or the bulletin number (I would provide the copy of the bulletin that was provided by donbrew, highlighting the last sentence pertaining to the 2006-2007 HHR's, especially if they see the NHSTA name on it).

As an alternative request Chevrolet Customer Service help from the rep on this forum.

Don't know what else to tell you....I out of this topic.

donbrew 06-06-2014 06:10 PM

Just junk the dam thing, it's more hassle than it's worth. And you are convinced that it's trying to kill you. How many other forums are you complaining on? I say "complaining" because you don't seem to want to accept any advice from us. Why keep posting the same complaints over and over again in different threads?

IF it's broken, they will fix it for free. The problem is showing that it's broken. They will NOT replace it just because.

If the code has been set it may still be in memory, the historic/permanent codes usually clear themselves after several warm up cycles, I don't know about this particular one.

There's got to be a "I hate GM" forum for you to vent on. If you want advice we are here for you.

I am getting bored now. :dizzy:

f4tal 06-07-2014 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlueMetallic (Post 748067)
This has quickly become the recall venting thread....
I understand the wait. I don't blame the dealership for not having parts, but it IS a pain when you've been put into a car (Chevy loaner) that DOES NOT fit your lifestyle (or fuel budget.) I'm going on 3 weeks with a V6 Silverado crew cab.... I MISS MY 30+ Per gallon!!! I swear I've spent an entire paycheck on the gas alone waiting for my car.

Why don't you take the rental back and change it for something new?

I went and dropped my 09 SS off today and got a rental. They tried to give me a truck first, I told them no way im driving that thing. I'm not going from 28mpgs to 16mpgs mixed driving. They gave me a chevy captiva LTZ instead. I'm going to drive this for a few weeks and then go see if I can get a buick regal. I'm almost tempted to trade this in for "employee pricing" on a new regal turbo.

DaytonaBlueMetallic 06-16-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by f4tal (Post 749431)
Why don't you take the rental back and change it for something new?

I went and dropped my 09 SS off today and got a rental. They tried to give me a truck first, I told them no way im driving that thing. I'm not going from 28mpgs to 16mpgs mixed driving. They gave me a chevy captiva LTZ instead. I'm going to drive this for a few weeks and then go see if I can get a buick regal. I'm almost tempted to trade this in for "employee pricing" on a new regal turbo.

"They didn't have anything else" at first, then they offered me an XTerra... Not much better on mileage.

Had it for two months, now I have to take the car back because there was other damage done while the car was at the dealer.

Luckily, while the car was encarcerated, I bought a Mercedes... So the truck sat for the last week. I won't need a loaner this time.

Cols2009HHR 06-16-2014 11:43 AM

Took my 2009 HHR LT, in for my appt. for the ignition recall replacement. Love the guys and gals at Burritt Chevrolet in Oswego, NY. They brought my car in, and the mechanic was working on it, and the new part, LOCKED UP! Here is the worst part, they contacted the parts place at GM, and they said the part cannot be rushed and that I'll just have to wait! I might be without my car for 2 weeks or more! Come on GM! Not very happy, and my HHR is one of the ones with a recall on the power steering also. Been wondering if the power steering part, when it can be ordered will not work also. I was worried about the parts , because so many had to be made. What about quality control? I miss Stella(my HHR's name) already. I have a loaner HHR, and I hate it, hate the color, hate where the window buttons are. I'm supposed to be getting a different loaner today or tomorrow. GM, please get your act together. I had no problems with Stella, before the part replacement.

Slide_Rite 06-17-2014 11:32 AM

Jeez, after reading some other's experiences...I feel pretty lucky. I took my HHR in on Sat. after receiving the recall postcard via snail mail. No appt. in advance, and I was fully prepared to get the run around...but instead completely the opposite. A girl took my recall card & started getting me checked in while a service advisor finished with another customer. 10 minutes later, I met with the advisor & he told me right then. "We'll get you into a loaner & get your HHR all fixed up, but parts are being made to order with each VIN and it may be 4-6 weeks till she is fixed." He made it seem like once the vehicle is checked in, it cannot leave until repaired due to safety & liability issues.

Thankfully, they put me in a 2014 Sonic LT (with only 5 miles!), which should get about the same mileage, probably slightly better. So...while it isn't my HHR, it could be much worse. :)

Cols2009HHR 06-17-2014 04:49 PM

Burritts just called around 5, said come down we have a different car for you to drive. A Chevy Sonic, with all the bells and whistles, with only 4,000 miles on it. They are supposed to know more about my parts status tomorrow. Cute car, but I miss "Stella".

donbrew 06-17-2014 05:15 PM

Brand new things to complain about? I just hate it when a company tries to do the right thing!

BTW, did you EVER have a problem with the old part?

Cols2009HHR 06-17-2014 09:04 PM

As I stated above, "I had no problems with Stella, before I took it to get the part replaced".

donbrew 06-18-2014 06:23 AM

That's what I meant. It wasn't broken, they tried to make good on a potential problem, something went wrong. You get a free loaner and complain about the WINDOW SWITCHES and COLOR. We call that nit-picking in Virginia.

What does "locked up" mean? Could they have just put the old parts back? I don't understand how the part could be that broken from the factory (I am thinking installer error).

And now you want to worry about a totally unrelated part from a completely different factory. Maybe "number 31" works QC at every factory in the world. (that's an old garment factory joke, remember the number 31 tag in the pocket?)

Cols2009HHR 06-18-2014 08:02 PM

I'm not a mechanic, I'm a nurse, so my mechanic knowledge is limited. The service guy said that after it was installed, they tried to start it and it "locked up?" I think he said something about the pins or something? Sorry I can't describe it better. No word on "Stella" today. I'll try to get a better understanding of what happened when they call me again so I can tell you more.
Oh, the HHR, they gave me first was what I was complaining about. It's a 2008, with 140,000 miles on it. The recall repair had not been done on it and no one in the dealership likes to drive it. I have no complaints about the new loaner they gave me, it's new and beautiful.

Britjoe 06-22-2014 06:58 PM

Had My Ignition fixed

Had My Ignition fixed, by my local Chevy Dealer it was in and out in a couple of hours and all seems to work great, no problems to report, then I just received another Recall letter about the Power steering, so whats involved in this one.

firemangeorge 06-22-2014 07:08 PM

I would suggest to read the Recall thread and any related links within. Any questions about the EPS motor recall need to be posted there.

No need to rehash the same old info again.

donbrew 06-22-2014 07:15 PM

Merged Britjoes redundant thread into this one.

Britjoe 06-22-2014 10:12 PM

Thanks

Cols2009HHR 06-24-2014 01:38 PM

You were right! Donbrew!

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 750274)
That's what I meant. It wasn't broken, they tried to make good on a potential problem, something went wrong. You get a free loaner and complain about the WINDOW SWITCHES and COLOR. We call that nit-picking in Virginia.

What does "locked up" mean? Could they have just put the old parts back? I don't understand how the part could be that broken from the factory (I am thinking installer error).

And now you want to worry about a totally unrelated part from a completely different factory. Maybe "number 31" works QC at every factory in the world. (that's an old garment factory joke, remember the number 31 tag in the pocket?)

Spoke with Chevy Customer Care today, guess what donbrew? You were absolutely correct!:twothumbs: According to Chevy, the mechanic "broke a piece off my part" , so that is why 9 days later I am still without my car. My new part is suppose to arrive some time this week. I appreciate your input. Thanks again. Of course Burritts have yet to admit the fact to me.

07azhhr 06-24-2014 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cols2009HHR (Post 750882)
Spoke with Chevy Customer Care today, guess what donbrew? You were absolutely correct!:twothumbs: According to Chevy, the mechanic "broke a piece off my part" , so that is why 9 days later I am still without my car. My new part is suppose to arrive some time this week. I appreciate your input. Thanks again. Of course Burritts have yet to admit the fact to me.

Let us know when Stella gets her groove back.

donbrew 06-25-2014 05:20 PM

I don't know why the couldn't just replace the pins in the cylinder. Locksmiths do it everyday, maybe the cylinder is sealed, maybe it was the switch he broke.

Beachbum1 06-26-2014 10:40 AM

Good news fo a change!
Took my 07 HHR in wed 7:30 AM. They took me home, Called at 11:30am work done . Picked up car, checked 2 new keys, checked everything I could think of and all worked fine. Only dissapointment was svc mgr trying to sell me everytning he thought my car needed.

Cols2009HHR 06-27-2014 01:51 PM

Stella's Home!

:twothumbs::happyfacerainbow:Stella finally got to come home today! Stella got her groove back!

penning4544 06-30-2014 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by penning4544 (Post 748843)
I dropped my HHR off two weeks ago because I couldn't even turn the car off. So I just dropeed it off and the service guys told me it might be three weeks to get the part. I said I understood and being I can't turn the key at all, the car wasn't doing me any good. And being I used to work in Audi service, I know how the recall process can work and not being able to get parts, etc... So I called yesterday just to get a status, they asked who I was (last name) and couldn't find me in the system, then they asked what kind of car it was (HHR SS, solid rear quarter, can't be many of those there), I waited on hold for 15 minutes just to be asked those same questions again. So that tells me that the guy can't find me in the system and tells me to just wait till I get a phone call. I almost asked, how are you going to call me if you can't find me in the system or my paperwork. Got to love it.

So I sent an e-mail to the service manager on Thursday asking status on my car being I didn't want to wait on hold again and explained the last time I called on what happened. The response I got was an apology for the delay and that GM has taken full control of the parts distribution. Later that day, the part arrived, and they asked if they could have it overnight to look at another issue and they would call me the next day, I told them they already had it over a month, what's one more day. I still haven't got a phone call. So I wonder if the part did come in, or if they lost me again. In any case, when I get my HHR back, I'll be selling it, I'm done with this. My boss had the same service issues at another dealer, I just don't have a quality dealer that understands customer service anymore, and the manufacture doesn't have time to even care with all the recalls they have going on.

donbrew 07-04-2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by penning4544 (Post 751606)
So I sent an e-mail to the service manager on Thursday asking status on my car being I didn't want to wait on hold again and explained the last time I called on what happened. The response I got was an apology for the delay and that GM has taken full control of the parts distribution. Later that day, the part arrived, and they asked if they could have it overnight to look at another issue and they would call me the next day, I told them they already had it over a month, what's one more day. I still haven't got a phone call. So I wonder if the part did come in, or if they lost me again. In any case, when I get my HHR back, I'll be selling it, I'm done with this. My boss had the same service issues at another dealer, I just don't have a quality dealer that understands customer service anymore, and the manufacture doesn't have time to even care with all the recalls they have going on.

Methinks a lot is missing from the story. I have had a car sit on a dealers lot for a week waiting to get OBD codes read, so I get that. But something is missing.

Inframan 07-05-2014 12:17 AM

I kept putting off taking in my HHR. I couldn't think of when I would have time. I got a couple letters and a post card. Luckily, I have a good friend who is a Chevy mechanic. He told me about the getting a free rental even while I would be waiting for the parts. He set me up on a waiting list for the rental. His dealership is about 30 miles out of the city so the small town rental place had a limited number of cars available. He left my name with the service advisor. That guy was great. So friendly and was he told me a couple stories about the recall. Including a woman who had just picked up her car one day short of two months. Her rental was almost $2K!!! I told him as long as I have a car to get me where I need to go, I'll be fine. I ended up with a Cruze LTZ with the RS package. This is a small car but its a nice trade up from my HHR. Leather, sunroof, push button start and a whole bunch of goodies in it. Sorry to hear that others are finding it difficult to get their situation resolved. Actually, I might complain when I get my HHR back!!! LOL :D

toolbender 07-07-2014 10:13 AM

I stopped by the dealer last week for an arrival update on parts; ended up scheduling for tomorrow as the parts had been setting back on a shelf. When I asked how I would get home after dropping the vehicle off; was told I could just set and wait, as they've refined the repair time. We'll see if that goes according to plan. If not, perhaps I'll spend the time at a competing dealerships next door to where I'll be waiting to see how eager they are for business. The way I see it this Chevy dealer is missing an opportunity to sway future purchase.

tucsondivots 07-07-2014 03:07 PM

Took my 2006 HHR to the dealership today for ignition recall. Done in about 90 minutes. No drama, everything works fine. I am taking my 2010 HHR in next week. That will leave only the power steering motor in my 2010 to be done. Parts not available yet.

ewg53 07-08-2014 09:55 AM

Dropped my 2006 off this morning appointment for 7 asked if it would be done by 12 said they would need it all day.
Said they have some from yesterday that they have not touched yet, dealer is in National City,CA big Navy town so lots of cars from all over country here.

jimfet 07-09-2014 12:50 PM

Just had mine done today. Had a 10:00 appointment, and they were done at 10:30. New switch and 2 new keys. 2 more HHR's were there getting theirs done also.

Laco 07-11-2014 02:04 PM

I called a week ago, was told by local dealer they would order the parts. They called two days ago, scheduled for this morning, left the car around 8:00am, got a call @ 10:20, car was ready. New switch, two new keys that work in the ignition and the door, all seems well. Ignition switch has a completely different feel to it, more solid feeling. Local dealer is really backed up with recall work, more active than I have ever seen that dealership.

sleeper 07-11-2014 11:37 PM

My parts are 'in'. They are just waiting for me to schedule an appt to do the dealio..

They said it was a 1 to 1.5 hr fix... Guess they are pretty well practiced up on swapping these over..

Forgot to ask them, But do they need to disconnect the battery in back for this ?

I got a ton of stuff in there..

hurst2001 07-12-2014 06:03 PM

Just had mine done today sat,and i waited over 2 hours for them to do it, and furthermore know my remote start does not work after i got home to test it ...So know im am:grrrr: ,It worked before with no problem no check engine light on nothing ,the lights will flash but that it nothing.. wondering if the need tp program it ,calling them Monday and *****..So check your remote start before you leave....

hurst2001 07-13-2014 09:05 AM

well found the problem hood was not closed all the way.....What were doing under the hood?

toolbender 07-13-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 752624)
My parts are 'in'. They are just waiting for me to schedule an appt to do the dealio..

They said it was a 1 to 1.5 hr fix... Guess they are pretty well practiced up on swapping these over..

Forgot to ask them, But do they need to disconnect the battery in back for this ?

I got a ton of stuff in there..

Having had mine done, I'll take a wild guess at answering both hurst2001 and your questions.

All of my radio presets remained which leads me to believe they do not disconnect at the battery, but rather pull an ignition fuse or link under the hood.

jamblazer 07-16-2014 08:55 PM

Sucessful Ignition Switch Recall at Dealer

Responded to GM flyer for recall of ignition switch in my 2008 HHR by calling local Chevy dealer. Dealer called about 3 weeks later and said parts were in-house, and they were vehicle specific to my VIN. Took in yesterday, and dealer replaced ignition switch, and provided two new keys and two NEW fobs!! Told me that old ignition switch and keys would be destroyed.
(Surprised to see elsewhere that person received old keys back.)

Fobs work great, as do new keys...was reluctant to do the recall since vehicle has not experienced a problem in 65,000 miles, but decided to go ahead just to be safe...glad I did.

Slide_Rite 07-16-2014 09:10 PM

Man, that's pretty cool. Two new keys here, but no key fobs...I wonder if anyone has gotten key fobs?

donbrew 07-17-2014 06:20 AM

I moved the 2 thread that the above 2 posts were in to here, since there is absolutely NO reason to start a new thread on this subject.

Laco 07-17-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jamblazer (Post 753105)
Responded to GM flyer for recall of ignition switch in my 2008 HHR by calling local Chevy dealer. Dealer called about 3 weeks later and said parts were in-house, and they were vehicle specific to my VIN. Took in yesterday, and dealer replaced ignition switch, and provided two new keys and two NEW fobs!! Told me that old ignition switch and keys would be destroyed.
(Surprised to see elsewhere that person received old keys back.)

Fobs work great, as do new keys...was reluctant to do the recall since vehicle has not experienced a problem in 65,000 miles, but decided to go ahead just to be safe...glad I did.

Not sure why they replaced the fobs, as only the ignition switch and keys were part of the recall. As far as vin specific, yes they order by vin, but that's only for inventory control. Dealer can make any ignition switch kit work in any car, vin gives them info necessary to make the computer see the switch as valid, and so the switch recognizes the keys. Mine was replaced long before the parts ordered for my vin arrived, because some one else cancelled. Switch and keys work just fine, and if dealer does what they are supposed to any kit will work in any car.

toolbender 07-17-2014 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Laco (Post 753148)
Not sure why they replaced the fobs, as only the ignition switch and keys were part of the recall. As far as vin specific, yes they order by vin, but that's only for inventory control. Dealer can make any ignition switch kit work in any car, vin gives them info necessary to make the computer see the switch as valid, and so the switch recognizes the keys. Mine was replaced long before the parts ordered for my vin arrived, because some one else cancelled. Switch and keys work just fine, and if dealer does what they are supposed to any kit will work in any car.

This being a double recall of sorts with both the ignition switch and ignition tumbler replacement causes me to believe it is VIN specific to insure the ignition is keyed identical to the driver's door lock. What am I overlooking?

firemangeorge 07-17-2014 03:29 PM

It is VIN specific so only 1 set of recall parts can be ordered per car.

Could you imagine if it wasn't VIN specific. I'm sure there would be owners ordering the parts from multiple dealers and waiting to see which dealer got the parts in first.

The VIN specific thing is just a "checks and balance" system they're using so there won't be an excess of orders.

toolbender 07-17-2014 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 753150)
It is VIN specific so only 1 set of recall parts can be ordered per car.

Could you imagine if it wasn't VIN specific. I'm sure there would be owners ordering the parts from multiple dealers and waiting to see which dealer got the parts in first.

The VIN specific thing is just a "checks and balance" system they're using so there won't be an excess of orders.

So apparently they set the tumbler pins on the new ignition lock to match the old keys at time of installation?

Budster 07-17-2014 06:47 PM

On May 10th I called MK Smith Chevrolet in Chino, CA about the recall. On 5/26 they told me the parts were ordered. I called on 6/12 to get info on the parts and was told they will contact me. On 7/9 I received a letter stating the parts were in and got a 7/17 appointment which I did today. Got there and 2 hours later it was done. Got two new keys which (although have different ‘grooves’ work in the door). Now we will see if this is a permanent fix or will I have problems down the line. Time will tell.