Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   GM Recall Campaigns (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/)
-   -   went to the dealer for the recall... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-recall-campaigns-70/went-dealer-recall-50152/)

87z16 04-06-2014 07:59 AM

went to the dealer for the recall...

didnt think this had i direct link to the recall situation. just thought that it was a dealer only issue.

i went to the dealer on thursday after work to find out how to exactly handle the recall. well the salesman advised me since i got the letter everything was fine just bring the car down on Sat and everything would be fine. so i just left. to confirm that i didnt need anything else, i called the dealer the next day i was told itll be fine just come down, the earlier the better just bring it before 12.

so i get there about 7:20a they open at 7:30a parked my car went in. GREAT i was 2nd online. well then the rep told me that i needed to bring the car around back and wait there only he was scheduled and they are real busy. FINE i go back to the car i proceed to drive it out back & 4 more cars showed up. ok i wait some more after all they didnt know that i was there.

after waiting outside a bit i got to wait some more inside for awhile now behind 6 people. he asked if we all had appointments. when he got to me, of course i didnt i was told to just bring the car down. he asked me why i was down and i explained he said with an attitude, well " i can only help u 9-5 during the week i am real busy right now" i told him this is the only day of the week that i can take care of this. then left the room the finish up a report for a customer. i did some loud complaining in the waiting room he must've heard me and had second thoughts. he came in and i told him when i called this is what they told me to do. his demeanor changed a bit and told me that the rental co dznt open until about 9. have a seat and he will help me when the line goes down. well he did finally get me into a rental. but i got home at about 10:15a. 3 hrs just to take care of this and a bit of complaining. now if i was some younger kid he wouldve scared me off or taken him at face value with the way he acted and his answer.

i think the staff at this dealer needs to be trainned in their handling of this matter. if i ever said this to one of my customers and it got back to management i wouldnt be there much longer. first the people on the phones have to know the procedure, then the dealer needs to have more people on duty that can handle things during this time and the staff on duty need to approach matters better. after all us customers didnt ask for this to happen it has been thrust on us and therefore them since their executives had held this info to themselves for the past decade!!!

but again so far it is resolved for now. just had to vent a bit.

843de 04-06-2014 08:20 AM

Well the dealer may need an attitude adjustment, or they are overwhelmed by the amount of recall inquires.

You may want to give Chevrolet's Customer Service Division a call at 1-800-512-7300, they are in the office from 8a-9p Monday to Saturday.

Or you can send a PM to ChevroletCustomerService right here on the forum, and they'll address the issue.

P.S. Moved this into the Recall Forum, just because we're trying to keep recall related issues in one place

bowtieboy68 04-06-2014 09:58 AM

I'm under the impression that dealerships will call us when the part becomes available.
Is this not the case, and we have to be proactive about getting the new part?

whopper 04-06-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bowtieboy68 (Post 743291)
I'm under the impression that dealerships will call us when the part becomes available.
Is this not the case, and we have to be proactive about getting the new part?

No, just follow the info provided by GM in the notice you received, or in the press bulletins.

OP: that delay you encountered was exactly why I try and avoid dropping in at a dealers without a specific appointment made ahead of time. They are typically in an overload situation processing the early morning bookings.

But glad they got it taken care of in the end.

donbrew 04-06-2014 06:07 PM

Why not just read the letter that you say you got? I know it says something about the parts not being available until the middle of April. As I write this it is 4/6/14, not the middle of the month by any measure.

The SALESMAN you talked to cannot speak for the SERVICE department, he was trying to get you off of the phone. Many times the 2 departments are really different companies in the same building. Can you imagine how many ill tempered and misinformed people are showing up and/or calling them?

Am I not understanding something?

l78thumper 04-08-2014 11:46 PM

WE DONT have the parts yet. We will fix your car. YOU ARE only hearing 1 side of a story . I own an HHR and I am keeping it. PLEASE give your dealer a chance we are here to help. But alot of people are beeing very nasty to us and being very unreasonable. When we get the some of the 2.6 million ign switches we will fix your car. Sorry my turn to vent. It takes time to make new switches do you want them rushed so there not right. Give GM and your dealer a chance to repair your car. And remember YOU HAVE ONLY heard ONE side of the story. Im in the trenches every day.

whopper 04-09-2014 01:19 AM

Well said thumper!! :thumb:

843de 04-09-2014 01:33 AM

Bravo thumper!:thumb:

mikelikestobike 04-09-2014 08:15 AM

I have not received a letter yet. Called a local dealer spoke with the Service Manager. Just told him what was going on. He asked if I was having any symptoms (I'm not)... told me about the keychain thing.

He did say that they are getting a lot of calls, he thought it was because the media was saying that dealers would begin to do the repairs on April 7th... but they have no parts yet !

He did ask me to bring my car down, let them write it up, put in an order for the parts... then they will call me when they arrive to schedule the work.

Well said Thumper - Echoed what my Service Manager told me: they will take care of it, but they just don't have the parts yet!

To the OP: Wow! That morning must have been frustrating. It seems like you had done the right thing by calling twice... but you can kinda see the other side too, like Donbrew said probably a salesperson told you to come down and we'll take care of you, which is probably their standard line. They probably didn't even hear the recall part... But that's wasn't someone in Service saying that (not that you would have known that though)....

Anyway, glad it is getting taken care of. Are you just keeping the rental for the next week(s) until the part comes in? Is that the plan?

87z16 04-09-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by l78thumper (Post 743737)
WE DONT have the parts yet. We will fix your car. YOU ARE only hearing 1 side of a story . I own an HHR and I am keeping it. PLEASE give your dealer a chance we are here to help. But alot of people are beeing very nasty to us and being very unreasonable. When we get the some of the 2.6 million ign switches we will fix your car. Sorry my turn to vent. It takes time to make new switches do you want them rushed so there not right. Give GM and your dealer a chance to repair your car. And remember YOU HAVE ONLY heard ONE side of the story. Im in the trenches every day.

thumper. you are not reading my post correctly. i am not an antagonist, in these issues at least.:D i do not expect parts in immediately to fix their situation. i did not say anything about getting rid of my HHR. i perfectly understand the situation and i am not forceful in regards to this. we both have a reason to be angry at this situation me for being lied to and taken advantage of. after all the co knew of this issue 10yrs ago and DID NOT try to fix it nor did they acknowledge it. and you to have customers treat you disrespectfully. but remember you are the go between in these situations the customers do not have direct access to the executives so they vent their angers and frustrations on you.

whopper 04-09-2014 04:06 PM

He did not say you were antagonistic, nor did he say you were going to get rid of your HHR.

I read his posting as a general venting at the whole situation, not your specific issues (check out his other postings which have helped a lot of people out, and reiterates more or less what he posted here).

db/sb 04-09-2014 05:18 PM

I had once accused him of being a GM apologist which I've since backed off on. (Sorry for that, l78thumper). He's just giving his perspective as an employee in the middle of this mess. Most of the issues I've read about have been dealer issues rather than company issues.

87silver 04-09-2014 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb (Post 743826)
I had once accused him of being a GM apologist which I've since backed off on. (Sorry for that, l78thumper). He's just giving his perspective as an employee in the middle of this mess. Most of the issues I've read about have been dealer issues rather than company issues.

Agreed... Many cannot differentiate GM dealership from GM Corporate. I have had at least 4 issues with GM dealerships. I never argue with them. Instead, I contact GM Customer Service. They sometimes took a week to review the circumstances, but in all cases, GM (Corporate) Customer Service had resolved them to my satisfaction, even with one slightly out of warrantee.

l78thumper 04-09-2014 10:41 PM

87, I was not going after you. It was ALL of the Negitive that was going on didn't mean to single any person out like getting rid of my HHR. I hope none of you get rid of your cars over this. AND for the going on for 10 years you or we DO NOT KNOW the WHOLE story. I do know alot more about it. GM has to be very carful about what they do or say and probibly were told by there lawyers not to say anything. BUT I WILL stick up for GM on this as I have said I have been a service wrighter for 30+ years. GM would love to tell you all what happend on this problem and i promice you they DONT take lifes for granted they want us to like them and have us buy there cars. AND I for one will buy GM again. And your right some dealers SUCK and you should change from that dealer and tell them, never mind id better be nice LOL. I do understand all of your frustrations I own an HHR my self. I hope you find a dealer that treats you right.

l78thumper 04-09-2014 10:48 PM

Thanks ALL of you!!! Thank You DB

SS fan 04-10-2014 01:42 AM

Guess there were only a dozen deaths.....no rush then, I'll dive my other car.....gee whiz there....it's an HHR too. Now what ??

whopper 04-10-2014 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan (Post 743879)
Guess there were only a dozen deaths.....no rush then, I'll dive my other car.....gee whiz there....it's an HHR too. Now what ??

LOL - oh you had to mention the two HHRs.

Well, :D may I suggest you fire up the motorhome and enjoy that 8 MPG? :roflol: Oh wait - that's probably about the same as the SS the way you use the go fast pedal. ;)

mikelikestobike 04-10-2014 07:16 AM

Got off a little early yesterday afternoon, decided to take the Service Managers advice and run to the dealership. Advisor I spoke to was nice, but basically said we don't have parts. I said I know that, I was told to just come have you write it up and and order parts, just get it in to the system. Call me when you do have the part.

He said ok. Asked if I was wanting a rental car while I waited. I said I wasn't sure if that was necessary, am I in danger? He said, you shouldn't be. Told me about the no other keys hanging from ignition... which I've been doing for months, even before my year was recalled.

He did tell me that they had about 75 cars ahead of me waiting for parts, kind of gestured to the back lot (like a lot had a rental...). I asked about how long he thought, and he just had NO idea.

87z16 04-10-2014 08:09 AM

thumper. thats what i get for not being on enuff to see what is going on and who is who. hope no ill wills. :thumb:

i have been running across GM dealers on LI that are similar. why doesnt GM get rid of them?? its not always a numbers issue. in the last few years i have had plenty of bad experiences at GM dealers over the last at least 15yrs. i was a diehard chevy guy. there was one dealer on LI that i liked and they got rid of the dealership. i thought the parts guy was a jerk at first and after a few times there, most dealers are the same out this way thats why i returned, he wasnt so bad after all. i got turned off due to some sales techniques and tactics. i dont play well with teachers nor car salesmen.

i was nothing but GM's for me until my last new car purchase, i bought a KIA, and love it. at least assembled in the GA,USA.

i do get the idea of the company and the stores. now from what i've learned and seen, i will never buy a new GM except a Corvette or CTS-V. problem is i cant afford either so i don't think ill get one!! but i will buy a GM used. but i will consider almost any mark except dodge, maybe a ford, doubt it but maybe.

db/sb 04-10-2014 09:19 AM

We recently bought a KIA also. So far, it looks like that dealership will bend over backwards for you. We got a rock chip on the rocker panel on the way home from purchasing it(!). I mentioned that to the salesman with no expectation of them doing anything and a week later there was a $50 KIA Visa card in the mail that he said I could use for a 'paintless ding repair' if I wanted to since they have a detailer that comes to their dealership and that's what he'd charge to fix it. I've only had experience with 3 GM dealerships over the last several years and never had any problems with them. I guess that's were I got the notion that dealership and corporate were one and the same. At least, they should be but I guess that would be one of those "in a perfect world" scenarios.

l78thumper 04-10-2014 08:29 PM

No problems here 87 and sometimes bad dealers screw it up for us. Thanks. Gota admit them KIA'S arn't bad eather they have come along way. SSFAN again you have not heard BOTH SIDES of the story AS I have said before. If you feel THAT strong SELL your car. I feel very sorry for thoes Familys also And IF your saying im not KISS off. I have also seen what people are putting on there key rings these days and it would shut off an 18 wheeler.So be carful of what you say. Your just speaking of what the news says no what really is. Thoes people are not with us anymore and we my never know the truth as to what really killed them.

whopper 04-11-2014 12:25 AM

:chillpill: Ok - hold it - cool down guys.

Thumper I do believe you have misread SSFANS comments out of context - he LOVES his cars, believe me I know. I appreciate what you are saying, but man, it's getting harder and harder to read your posts - it's working my reading glasses into overtime.

I'm closing this thread for a while.

whopper 04-14-2014 01:38 AM

Thread reopened.

dudetenn 04-18-2014 11:17 PM

I have an ' 08 and still have not received a recall notice!

843de 04-19-2014 01:43 AM

GM was to begin sending out the second round of recall notices for '08-'11 owners on April 21st. So you should receive it next week I'd imagine.

As it is, the facility making the required parts is now running full three shift days in order to produce the revised pieces in a timely manner.

But remember, with the sheer number of vehicles involved, including to 489,000 +/- HHR's produced, patience is required.

mongo 04-22-2014 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 843de (Post 744982)
GM was to begin sending out the second round of recall notices for '08-'11 owners on April 21st. So you should receive it next week I'd imagine.

As it is, the facility making the required parts is now running full three shift days in order to produce the revised pieces in a timely manner.

But remember, with the sheer number of vehicles involved, including to 489,000 +/- HHR's produced, patience is required.

Jeez, I hope there aren't any problems with the 'rush order' parts.... I've worked in the manufacturing sector long enough that this is when mistakes happen....

donbrew 04-22-2014 04:54 PM

The sky IS falling!

Oldblue 04-22-2014 06:30 PM

Don't worry , Don I'll save you!!! I have realized over the years, hurry up and wait, they will get to your ride when they have the parts!! My service advisor was very understanding, explained the order process , offered a loaner car, and got me a coffee while she did so!!

jwhouk 04-22-2014 07:14 PM

Got the second notification today from Chevy, this time to tell me that parts were now available (on a limited basis) to replace the ignition. I'm going to have to call the local Chevy dealer in the morning about seeing if they have the parts yet - which they might not (this is a somewhat backwater town).

l78thumper 04-23-2014 12:18 AM

Dude call your local Chevy dealer and you can order your ign switch and most likely your ign cylinder at any time. You dont' need a recall notice to get your car fixed. As for me I am waiting till the rush is over and the parts arn't rushed. And oh yea 843 second wave already started trust me I ordered 30 sets today LOL. Phone at work ringing off the hook.

l78thumper 04-23-2014 12:40 AM

FOR all of you guys. You need to call and ORDER your ign kits. Parts are not going to just be at the dealer. There ordered for YOUR cars vin#. Call your dealer please or a dealer near you.

843de 04-23-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by l78thumper (Post 745331)
FOR all of you guys. You need to call and ORDER your ign kits. Parts are not going to just be at the dealer. There ordered for YOUR cars vin#. Call your dealer please or a dealer near you.

X2 Thumper!

jay loukakis 04-24-2014 11:30 AM

I just got a 2nd recall letter saying it will take 90 minutes to install the 1st letter said the time to install would be 40 minutes, Does GM know anything???

fastsuv 04-24-2014 11:54 AM

I have a question I have not found asked yet, or if it has I haven't seen it.

My HHR has never had this problem in 160K miles. If GM wants to replace the switch, should I do it?

The reason I ask is that in the past I have taken vehicles in for a warranty repair only to have something else get broken or trim pieces reinstalled without all the fasteners, etc. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thoughts?

Steve

whopper 04-24-2014 12:14 PM

It's a recall due to SAFETY issues. It's your choice - if you are not concerned about the safety issues, and are more concerned about the possibility of them screwing up something else in the process, then don't do it.

However, if you don't do it and you have an accident down the road, then don't come blaming GM...... and be prepared to be sued big time.

Snoopy 04-24-2014 03:01 PM

Jay......I think you are getting "cranky" in your old age:lol:.

You did read and understand that, at first, the ignition switch was the only item they were replacing. GM is now replacing the switch AND the ignition under the recall.....so it will take a little more time.

Snoopy 04-24-2014 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 745454)
It's a recall due to SAFETY issues. It's your choice - if you are not concerned about the safety issues, and are more concerned about the possibility of them screwing up something else in the process, then don't do it.

However, if you don't do it and you have an accident down the road, then don't come blaming GM...... and be prepared to be sued big time.

I agree with whopper. But I will add a thought. While I'm not an attorney, I would think if you sold the car to a new owner and did now have the recall performed AND did not inform the new owner of this situation, you COULD be held somewhat accountable for any/some damages he/she has against you. You know, kind of passing on a knowingly faulty/dangerous/unsafe product.

But it IS broke and you should fix it. It just depends on when it will express the undesirable action of not allowing you to operate.

donbrew 04-24-2014 05:11 PM

4 pages in this thread, 26 pages in the ignition recall thread, 5 pages in the power steering recall thread.

How is this still news to veteran members?

whopper 04-24-2014 05:33 PM

Did you say recall Donbrew? What recall? ;)

tucsondivots 04-24-2014 07:58 PM

Got the second letter yesterday to call dealer now and make an appointment to replace ignition switch on my 2006. It says it should take 90 minutes but will likely take longer due to service scheduling requirements. "If required, your dealer will provide you with some form of courtesy transportation at no charge." Also, the letter says they will cut and, if necessary, re-learn two ignition/door keys at no charge. I am curious what experiences forum members have had so far. I am trying to keep up on the 26 pages.