HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

2009 HHRSS Needs a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 10:32 AM

2009 HHRSS Needs a new engine

I bought this car used with 60k or so back in 14. I have ran it pretty hard with only normal oil changes etc managed to get 215k with really not too many problems. I developed a serious problem where the car would overheat randomly unexpected just out of nowhere. Im talking one minute all is normal and the next minute it was 220 climbing 230 -240 and then just all of sudden it would drop back to normal 180-200 range. I realized it was using antifreze at a incredible amount. It started using 1 gallon per week at least. I was busy just kept pouring it in figuring i was running on borrowed time anyway. The car wasnt leaking anywhere at all, i put it on lift to search for any sign whatsoever of antifreze drip with every search never finding a drip nowhere nothing notta. I kinda figured with engine running hot like it did many many times the head is probably warped leaking head gasket and all antifreeze going out tailpipe most likely. And on its final day i was rolling down country road close to house picked safe spot to pass two slower cars, downshifted made the pass, I look down damn thing is going around 95mph. Even on its last day this thing would get with it. When i pulled up to my shop out back and shut it off i noticed something sounded way off. So i tryed starting it again and it acted like real real slow on starter but it fired up. I pulled it into shop then thinking this is bad , shut it off and the next time i tryed starting it sounds like 0 compression. i suppose like a drill motor. Im sure its pretty bad. I notice the crank is turning when I turn the motor over so this cant be good. Since then I have torn most of top of motor off , I notice the timing chain is flopping around completely loose. Would I be correct thinking the valves are bent? I can see all of the roller rockers everything looks normal and in place nothing broke there. Im not against patching it back together if i could get another 30-40k out of it. I dont need it as a daily driver anymore. But also I am interested in a used motor. I live 40 miles outside Atlanta Ga, do any of yall have any suggestions for reputable place to get used engine? Would it be worth it to get this engine out and just rebuild it? I dont need the car running anytime soon its just a project car now. I have looked at Copart to get a totaled car but im not sure about that whole auction process. Thanks for any suggestions yall
Old 04-04-2022, 10:58 AM

Did you ignore a CheckEngineLight? Broken chain does not necessarily mean bent valves; a compression/leakdown or a visual inspection with a camera would be needed (less than $20 attachment to cellphone). Did you check the oil for coolant ?
It does "sound" like a blown head gasket. However, the intermittent overheating seems more of a fan issue; it is supposed to be a variable speed thing and should definitely keep the temp below 220F.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:36 AM

I have a 2009 HHR SS and had the same problem. Seems that the 2009 model year the 2.0 block was made using a new process that instead of sand for casting the block mold they tried using foam. They had problems with cracks in the block. Some owners only got about 50,000 out of those blocks. I got 140,000 out of mine till it gave up. I first thought I had blown a head gasket, but come to find out there was a crack in the block. After further investingating is when I found out about the problems with the 2009 2.0 blocks.
I bit the bullet and had a new 2.0 put in mine.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:01 PM

https://zzperformance.com/products/lnf-gen-3-long-block
Old 04-04-2022, 01:15 PM

I read about that porous block lnf a long time ago. So honestly if thats a possibility with current motor the whole thing seems to be garbage. Yes I admit I ignored the intermittent check engine light for two years. I would get onstar report saying code such n such relating to emission valve timing etc.It was on one week off the next. I just figured after i was closing in on 200k I wasnt going to stop everything just to change timing chain, when I had the other issue of massive anti-freeze loss. I have bought some stuff from ZZP, but im not positive about spending 3k or more for new. Can you find a good used engine for 1000-1500? Reason I say that is because if I found engine with 75k - 90k miles it is only going to be grocery getter from now on , I probably wont drive it 10-20k miles over next 5 years. Its been down for few months and I have to admit I miss driving the damn car, always fun as hell to drive.
Old 04-04-2022, 01:36 PM

Not "cracks" in the block. tiny voids in the milled surface that were large enough so the head gasket could not seal it.
And, I think you got it backwards the 2008 was sand cast and had porosity problems, the 2009 foam method solved that problem. But, my memory could be suspect.
There was also a problem where one of the water pump mounting holes was drilled all of the way through (instead of being blind), also referred to as "porosity".

Auto makers tend to use "scientific" terms when speaking to us mere mortals. They rarely mean what they sound like. "Porosity" means voids in a contiguous surface not leakage like water through a sieve. Sometimes the casting can have sand grain sized bubbles just below the surface, then when it gets machined the bubble turns into a crater.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:19 PM
Administrator

The block porosity problem was in 2008 LNF blocks.
I suggest a tear down, assess the block, crank and internal parts, the head, valves and such, you might just need new gaskets, rod and main bearings , timing and balance shaft chains, water pump and get another 60,000 or more.
The ZZP route is attractive also if you want to keep the SS .