HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

At 750 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:43 PM

i got used to driving front wheel drive cars in the mid eighties, as my father was selling his rear wheel drive V8 cars for the newer and modern family cars that were coming out. One car was a 1987 cutlass cierra with a 2.8 v6. That was only a 120 hp motor with about 180ft/lbs of torque. Stomp on the pedal, dry or wet roads, the front wheels turned to the side and the steering wheel jerked. FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH MORE POWERFUL AND BETTER WITH these days but they still cant eliminate the torque steer. Some of the new japanese cars like the camry,altima and the accord have about 260-280 hp with front wheel drive and manage ok. If you look at all the high end performing cars, they all have rear wheel drive or awd as an option. It be nice if GM offers AWD on the SS , something with a permanent 50-50 split. It may add $1500-2000 to the price, but i think many would splurge to get a awd turbo retro looking wagon that goes like stink in any weather conditions.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:53 PM

usually torque steer will pull in one direction only, just as an engine twists on it's mounts from torque, in one direction only. If you are getting pulling from both sides, I would suspect traction controla, as it will jerk you back & forth, from 1 side to the other. Try turning off the TC, see what happens.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:04 AM

To itschaboykenny

I had a 2LT 5 speed on order when i read the first aticle on the SS, The dealer was a good and ordered me an SS, the 2LT is sitting on his lot.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM

To Nebulous1

Yes I have LSD on my SS.

Last night we had frizzing rain, real bad, I was pleasently suppriesed on how well the HHR-SS did.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM

I was wondering what the turbo looks like on this one , a bubby of mine has a wrx and it has a little turbo on it, does anyone have pics
Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
I get torque steer also with my 2.4. I find it hard to believe with more torque in an SS that there would be none. I've been waiting for someone to confirm that. Thanks.
because the SS has equal length halfshafts, this helps out alot against torque steer.

Any other HHR does not have this feature.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by johnbrum
I was wondering what the turbo looks like on this one , a bubby of mine has a wrx and it has a little turbo on it, does anyone have pics
Your absolutely right its a baby turbo back there behind the engine...Maybe i'll take pics this afternoon
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by turbofreak
I would ask others (like fastedSS) whether they see a max of 10 psi boost
in first gear. Again it has been hard to find good traction with crappy
winter weather but I see a max of 10 psi in first gear, then 15-17 in
2nd -5 th gears. What have others seen???

turbofreak
I see 12 or 13 psi as I hit the rev-limiter, That at about 90% throttle, at full throttle in 1st gear (manual) the wheels just spin. There just isn't enough grip for all that power. I haven't tried launch control yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by turbofreak
I agree here with c2vette about what I am feeling in the car and calling it
torque steer. The weather around here is crappy but when I do find what
appears to be a clear road and do a hard 2nd gear accel, I do feel the car
pull left or right. If it was really all torque steer, it would pull just one way.
Therfore what I am feeling, I believe to be the tires seeing limited traction
in different parts of road and the limited slip is changing power from side to side trying to maintain maxium traction.

turbofreak
What I feel is the same as you two. The steering wheel jerks from one side to the other and back. I don't think it is limited traction, the tires don't brake loose out of first geat. But, I'm not sure just what it is. Being a RWD guy I've not sensed this in any other car, when you mash the throttle it eithers goes or brakes loose.

With power while turning I get what I call a true torque steer, the wheels jerks away from the turn trying to straiten out.

The roads aren't that dirty here. I need to play some more. I'm waiting to see what the car mags say when they get to do a full test.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Have you guys noticed differences disabling the TCS & ESC? As I understand it, pressing the button once turns off TCS. A second press within 5 seconds should put it in competitive driving mode, which disables TCS and reduces ESC. Holding the button down for 5-10 seconds is supposed to completely disable both TCS and ESC.

Does the DIC say anything when you experience the switching? (i.e., low traction, ESC active, etc.)

I wonder if some torque steer is occurring, and the ESC is kicking in because it detects that the actual direction doesn't meet input direction. When the ESC kicks in it's supposed to brake different wheels independently, which sounds like it could possibly cause the sort of effect being described.

It might be worthwhile to try it in each of the different modes... strictly in the interest of science, of course.

Mine was supposed to be assembled two days ago (no President's Day holiday in Mexico). Here's hoping she's in line at the seaport for a nice Hawaiian cruise.

Quick Reply: At 750 miles