Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   At 8K miles.....Turbo bearings shot (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/8k-miles-turbo-bearings-shot-24929/)

millerrdjr 08-04-2009 04:41 PM

You two are saying the same thing.
I think he said that soldering the wires has no effect on bearing failure.
Maybe you are saying that intermittent connections could cause surging?

Slilock 08-04-2009 10:17 PM

So are the bearing failures on Auto's only?

hyperv6 08-04-2009 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS (Post 402238)
not completely accurate hyperv6...continual surging will cause the bearings to fail especially with our conventional bearings. the air forced back in the turbine tries to reverse the spin of the propeller....you have a propeller on a shaft separated by a bearing that is spinning one direction at 10k rpm and you are block the flow of air that it is moving suddenly...causing surge...the air has nowhere to go and will drastically and dramatically slow the propeller's movement what effect do you think that has on the bearing? it is detremental

Ok?

I think I will wait for GM to give some kind of reason. I would think the surge form -15 PSI to 23 PSI back to -20.3 PSI would be as much a issue if not more.

You may be right but I need to see something more detailed on this before I will bite on anything more than just a bad bearing. I will wait to see what else comes up.

hyperv6 08-04-2009 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Slilock (Post 402343)
So are the bearing failures on Auto's only?

Too few to tell if this means anything at this point. Also there are more Auto SS than 5 sp.

JeramieJJ 08-05-2009 07:41 AM

Update - They will know more on the Turbo availability this Friday. I'll pose some questions, when I call on status Friday, in regards to what they believe the bearing failures are from.

hyperv6 08-05-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by JeramieJJ (Post 402369)
Update - They will know more on the Turbo availability this Friday. I'll pose some questions, when I call on status Friday, in regards to what they believe the bearing failures are from.

Thanks it would be good to hear their take on it.

JeramieJJ 08-07-2009 01:05 PM

latest Turbo part update: ETA of August 20th for the part to come in (from overseas! :roll:)

09BlackSS 08-07-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JeramieJJ (Post 402837)
latest Turbo part update: ETA of August 20th for the part to come in (from overseas! :roll:)

Is it a product of China or Japan? Any idea on the original manufacturer?

CarlsSS 08-07-2009 05:04 PM

It is a Bosch turbo, so I would think it would be coming from Germany...

hyperv6 08-07-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS (Post 402866)
It is a Bosch turbo, so I would think it would be coming from Germany...

It is Honeywell Turbo Technologies who make the turbo if I recall. I never head of a Bosch.

They are the company that makes most factory turbochargers. Note they are also Garrett Turbos but that name is now only used on non OE applications. They are based Morges, Switzerland.

They are made in Brazil, Mexico, China, Japan, South Korea, Austrailia, Czech Repub, France, Irerland, England and Romainia. Not sure where the GM one is made.

Our little unit is not some generic off brand unit. It is made buy one of the best suppliers around for OE applications as well as industry and racing. When you think Honeywell think Garrett.

Now Bosch contributes many electrical parts for the turbo system. My new Map sensors are Bosch in the stage kit.