HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Accurate Build dates are as close as close as your Front or Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Accurate Build dates are as close as close as your Front or Rear Bumper

While at the body shop looking over the removed front and rear bumper covers I found the sticker in the cover form the assembly line.

The sticker is white and about 6 inches long and 4 inches high.

On it is the serial number, plant name, Model, part#, name of the part, "Option" that says Turbo, the date it was put on the car and the time of day,

Mine was assembled on June 18 2008 and the front bumper cover was installed at 7:04 and the rear at 7:13 AM.

There also was a crayon mark from the 17th that was for staging the part to your vehicle.

The stickers are on the driver side on the inside of the cover. The rear you should be able to crawl under and see it the front you may have to pull the close off down.

You might want to look soon as with time they will decay and become unreadable.

This info is backed up by my GMAC invoice I was able to get from the dealer.

It showed my SS was built 6/18 later shipped 6/21 and invoiced 6/23.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM

I was able to get my scanner to work and her is what to look for.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 08-27-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Reduced Pic Size. 1st Warning Given
Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM

i found mine it was in the middle of the inside of the rear bumper...... but because its close to the gas tank unable to get a good picture.... small sticker like 1 inch by 2 something like that
Old 08-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
i found mine it was in the middle of the inside of the rear bumper...... but because its close to the gas tank unable to get a good picture.... small sticker like 1 inch by 2 something like that

It should be bigger. There were a few other stickers but they were security and one other that had no info relivent info.

The one in the rear should be right behind the left rear tire. 4" x 6".

The scan above is smaller than they really are.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Good find, mine was on the side over by the exhaust outlet.

Mine's built May 20, 2008 (far enough away from Cinqo De Mayo)
Old 08-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Founding Member

Hyperv6,

I'm lost here. Why do you think your build date was that day?

If that was on the bumper (fascia) and the ticket states (fascia) couldn't that be the date and time that fascia was pulled for your VIN to be matched with the car on the assembly line?

Also what is a GMAC invoice have to do with this? GMAC finances cars not build them.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Here is what I have note it said the vehicle was

PRC EFF 6/18/08
Shipped 6/21/08
Invoiced 6/23/08
INT-COM 7/07/08
EXP I/T 7/07/08

From what I see I assume if it was shipped on 6/21 the earlier date would be the build date that matches the stickers on my bumper.

The 07/07 looks like when the dealer was charged or when it was put on the floor plan by GMAC.

If you help interperate please do. I would not be offended in any way.

Sorry for the size but they have their limits on pictures here.

Save it and you can enlarge it in youyr photo program.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Here is what I have note it said the vehicle was

PRC EFF 6/18/08
Shipped 6/21/08
Invoiced 6/23/08
INT-COM 7/07/08
EXP I/T 7/07/08

From what I see I assume if it was shipped on 6/21 the earlier date would be the build date that matches the stickers on my bumper.

The 07/07 looks like when the dealer was charged or when it was put on the floor plan by GMAC.

If you help interperate please do. I would not be offended in any way.

Sorry for the size but they have their limits on pictures here.

Save it and you can enlarge it in youyr photo program.
Here's what I know from touring plants. They paint the bare body and the body parts at the same time, then the outer body panels (doors, fenders, bumpers etc) go one way on the line and the body goes on another line. After interior items (wiring, insulation, padding etc) are installed in the body the outer panels and body meet up later. I don't remember if this is before the powertrain is installed or after. Then the doors and bumpers fenders and what have you are installed. Then the trim (seats, panels, carpet, outside trim, glass etc) are installed. I believe at the Arlington plant it takes 48 hours from start to finish, if no problems arise during the build of a vehicle. So bumpers could and should have earlier time stamps. If I had your vin I could tell you the date items such as the body, the pcm and other items were scanned.

I think your invoice date is the final date of build, I am not sure on the ship date data you gave, doesn't make sense.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Here's what I know from touring plants. They paint the bare body and the body parts at the same time, then the outer body panels (doors, fenders, bumpers etc) go one way on the line and the body goes on another line. After interior items (wiring, insulation, padding etc) are installed in the body the outer panels and body meet up later. I don't remember if this is before the powertrain is installed or after. Then the doors and bumpers fenders and what have you are installed. Then the trim (seats, panels, carpet, outside trim, glass etc) are installed. I believe at the Arlington plant it takes 48 hours from start to finish, if no problems arise during the build of a vehicle. So bumpers could and should have earlier time stamps. If I had your vin I could tell you the date items such as the body, the pcm and other items were scanned.

I think your invoice date is the final date of build, I am not sure on the ship date data you gave, doesn't make sense.
You had checked my Vin and came up with 6/23 that is listed as the invoice date on my sheet.

Now the ship date is listed as 6/21 so I would have to assume it was built on or prior to 6/21.

Now my bumper stickers list 6/18 that is listed on this sheet as PRC EFF 6/18/08.

Now written in crayon on the bumper is 6/17.

Note the front and rear stickers have the same date and the time is only 9 min appart which is about the time it would move from station to station onthe line.

I would assume the bumpers by chance were not only made 9 min appart since they are different parts.

I hope you see how I came up with the time line I have.

If you can find someone in sales that might be able to break down this sheet it may give us the answers.

The key is the ship date as you can't ship a vehicle till it is done but you can invoice it after it ships.

If you save the sheet and enlarge it you can see the info. Sorry but I am not permited to post it full size here.

It is called a BARS document. It is what the salesman gave me when he would find a SS so I could see what it had on it. I note it also listed the Holdback info and other things I don't think they should have given to a customer.

I have a few more of these sheets too on some red SS's I was looking at.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Hyperv6,

I'm lost here. Why do you think your build date was that day?

If that was on the bumper (fascia) and the ticket states (fascia) couldn't that be the date and time that fascia was pulled for your VIN to be matched with the car on the assembly line?

Also what is a GMAC invoice have to do with this? GMAC finances cars not build them.
Does GMAC handle dealer floor plans? As in... maybe this was the "invoice to dealer's account" date. Dunno... just speculating.

Quick Reply: Accurate Build dates are as close as close as your Front or Rear Bumper