HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Aftermarket Sunroof ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Aftermarket Sunroof ?

Hi all,

Sorry about all the questions but for me, buying a car is such a major decision, as i intend to live with it for a very long time. Found a nice 08 SS black with the black and red interior. It has everything I want except a sunrooof. My question is: Does anyone have experience with aftermarket sunroofs? My first thought is, why would I want to go cutting into a car like that. Sounds like the potential for a lot of problems. Is my fear justified or is it more common than I think it is? Is it very expensive to have done?

Thabks again....
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Founding Member

Add on sunroofs are usually nothing but problems. I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

X 2. Don't do it. You can find another SS w/sunroof out there. Just keep looking. And remember, ALL 2010 SS's came with a sunroof.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Hardly ever use mine.
Pat
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Yea don't do a aftermarket sunroof it just going to cause problems down the road.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 PM

you can have mine lol. i think i have opened it maybe 5 times in 2.5 years
Old 12-23-2011, 09:11 PM

OK I can understand all the bad press aftermarket sunroofs get, most of the problems are from bad installs, not the sunroof itself. I work in a shop that does aftermarket sunroofs for new car dealers all over Atlanta, we have one guy, been doing sunroofs for like 20 years, he's AWESOME! Id let him cut a hole in my car any day! Anyways, he takes his time, does a few extra things to make sure that most important they dont leak! He also does takes quite a few extra precautions that there will be no rattles in the roof. Just to ease your decision on getting one or not, its all about the install! If you go somewhere, find out how long the installer has been putting sunroofs in, ask questions.....

I know at my place we charge roughly $1200 installed, that does come with a lifetime warranty though, you ever have a problem with the roof, we fix it free. Obviously that doesnt cover broken glass or misuse, but normal wear and tear, any minor adjustments it needs, all covered.....

Well hopefully Ive educated you a little, I know generally speaking aftermarket sunroofs get a bad name, Ive always thought the same. Now that I work alongside someone that takes the extra time and does a REALLY good job, I think differently about sunroofs.

Personally Im saving up some money and getting a sliding rag top, and my sunroof installer at work will be cutting that hole in my roof.....;-)
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by dudeasif
OK I can understand all the bad press aftermarket sunroofs get, most of the problems are from bad installs, not the sunroof itself. I work in a shop that does aftermarket sunroofs for new car dealers all over Atlanta, we have one guy, been doing sunroofs for like 20 years, he's AWESOME! Id let him cut a hole in my car any day! Anyways, he takes his time, does a few extra things to make sure that most important they dont leak! He also does takes quite a few extra precautions that there will be no rattles in the roof. Just to ease your decision on getting one or not, its all about the install! If you go somewhere, find out how long the installer has been putting sunroofs in, ask questions.....

I know at my place we charge roughly $1200 installed, that does come with a lifetime warranty though, you ever have a problem with the roof, we fix it free. Obviously that doesnt cover broken glass or misuse, but normal wear and tear, any minor adjustments it needs, all covered.....

Well hopefully Ive educated you a little, I know generally speaking aftermarket sunroofs get a bad name, Ive always thought the same. Now that I work alongside someone that takes the extra time and does a REALLY good job, I think differently about sunroofs.

Personally Im saving up some money and getting a sliding rag top, and my sunroof installer at work will be cutting that hole in my roof.....;-)
what shop and what all do they do there? just for future reference
Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Shop is called Classic Soft Trim, were in Atlanta. We do sunroofs, both electric and pop ups, we also take cloth seats out of cars and put leather in. Also seat heaters, factory OEM navigation, bluetooth....anything else you want just ask and we might be able to do it. Most of our work comes from dealers but we also deal direct with the public, just have to add tax ;-)
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM

I agree there is nothing wrong with a good aftermarket.

The key is like he said install and 2nd a good sunroof to begin with. Sunroof can be cheap crap to units that are the as good as factory to better. The key is to not cheap out and buy a good one and then use a good shop to install it.

I have a local shop here in town that did my T tops on my Fiero. They had one guy trained by the MFG and he did a great job. I might add that the unit I had installed is the same one GM used in 1988 on the Fiero but mine was a much better install than the ones that GM had installed.

It is cheaper to find one with it factory installed but if you have no choice aftermarkets can be good but just don't cheap out.

I use mine daily from May till Oct. I love it.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sunroof ?