HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Altech Folding front plate holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Altech Folding front plate holder

Since I am getting a new bumper cover I decided to get the new Altech folding plate bracket. It folds under the bumper and pulles out when you need a plate.

I will not be able to install it for a few weeks but I will give a review once I get it.

These are used by the Corvette. Solstice and Mustang guys.

The guy at Altech said they are working on a electric one that will deploy with a electric motor.

I will see if it will mount to our air dams and it might be a good editon to SS owners where front plates are required and you don't want one.

He claims it is universal so let me see if it works before you spend your money on it.

Thread on the Solstice forum that shows how it works. I found it googleing.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM

What do you mean by "when it's needed"? Isn't it "needed" if you don't want to get pulled over?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 AM

I think he means while driving on the street..........., I'm guessing while parked, at a cruise or show, or in the bleach box at the track, it's un-necessary.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by BigMOCats
I think he means while driving on the street..........., I'm guessing while parked, at a cruise or show, or in the bleach box at the track, it's un-necessary.
OPr when you go through that one little town that enforces the law where most others don't

I have a cable operated retractabe plate on my Fiero just for this and if I do get pulled over I just lower it. It is not hinged and slided straight down. They would have a hard time seeing it is movable.

Also the electric one they have will be like the one for streetrods but with more clearance. It will be to the point you can wire it to the key and it will deploy when you start the car and retract then you part. He also said that it would come with a wireless fob. I am not sure ehn it will be out but if this one works I can change it to this later.

I also find as long as the plate is on the car and you make it visable they let you off. My Chevelle I had the same USA 1 plate that got crused in the photo's. Under it I had an ohio plate folded under it. When I got pulled over i just bent it down and they were please and let me go.

For the most part where I live they do not enforce the plate law unless they want to get you for no seat belt. But there are a few smaller towns that look for any way to bring in money they can. These are the ones if you plan on driving through you can pull the plate out.

If your smart about it you can get away with it.