HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Anyone put a lot of miles on their SS? With Trifecta tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:24 AM

Anyone put a lot of miles on their SS? With Trifecta tune?

I wanted to get some input from HHR SS owners, and I’ll try to keep my post as brief as possible. I’m a typical (middle aged) car guy. Owned all kinds of stuff over the past 20+ years, love all kinds of cars.

My current daily driver is actually a 2009 HHR LS 5spd. I bought it to fill a very specific need. I recently took a job where my commute is 55 miles each way. In the morning, it’s wide open highway at 75-80mph, afternoon is gridlock traffic. Plus I use the car to take the kids to/from sports practice and weekend errand running. So I needed a cheap car that could eat up tons of miles in comfort, get decent fuel mileage, carry kids and cargo, make trips to Costco and the like. I wanted a manual wagon/hatchback. In my search, I came across my HHR. I’ve had it for 6 months and have already put 17,000 miles on it. From a practicality standpoint, it’s ideal. It checks everyone of the criteria I just listed. The only drawback is its’ slow and not great handling. Keeping the HHR for daily beating and getting a weekend only toy isn’t really an option for me. My schedule is so busy I’d never get to use it. I need one car that can suit all my needs/wants. So I’ve been looking at used Focus ST, Mazdaspeed3, Fiesta ST, Sonic R/S (with Trifectatune). They’re hatch/wagons…a must have for me…that are fun and practical. But the Focus and Mazda are $17-$18k for a nice one. I feel a bit uneasy about beating a car that expensive this mercilessly. A used Sonic RS is $5-$7k cheaper, which I feel much better about, but the big downside there is it’s one size smaller.

So I’m considering the HHR SS. Given how happy I am with my LS, if the SS has the fun factor I want, than it could be a perfect choice. I don’t think it’s quite the sports car that the Ford or Mazda are, but to me it seems like a great compromise. Lower buy in cost, better versatility and not quite as high strung (more relaxed on the highway and in bumper to bumper). My concern is with putting that many miles on it and the long term reliability. Not to GM bash, but I’ve always been an import guy for reliability. The HHR is a Cobalt at its’ roots, and even my LS has some rattles, etc… Given my lack of free time, I don’t have time to work on a needy car. Sure, all cars need maintenance, which is fine, but I need something that can stand the miles I put on it. Any of you guys drive the wheels off your SS? How would it stand up to 37k miles per year of commuting? What about the Trifecta tune? If I got an HHR SS, I’d be tempted to get a tune…no other mods. Have you seen it effect reliability/drivability/fuel mileage?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:02 PM

The difference between a 2009 HHR LS 5 speed and an SS is night a day, apples to oranges... If you were to drive an SS that has been mildly tuned I don't you would be saying "I don’t think it’s quite the sports car that the Ford or Mazda are" While I agree that the platform is that of a Cobalt the HHR has a lot more room.

There are a number of us SS owners that can help point you in the right direction. You should be a to find a nice SS with the amount of money you are budgeting.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:18 PM

You're right, I have no doubt the HHR SS is night and day to the LS. I've driven the Ford Focus hatch extensively as a rental, and it's night and day to the ST. I'm sure the HHR is the same. What I meant when I said the HHR isn't the sports car the Ford and Mazda are is that I don't think that comparing stock to stock, the HHR SS is as much as a corner carver as the other two. The HHR is taller and the Focus/3 platforms are outstanding handlers. I don't think the SS is a sloppy handler, I wouldn't consider it if it were...I do amateur road racing so good handling is important to me. I also see it as a positive that the HHR has a more compliant ride quality. I loved the Ford and Mazda but they're a bit of a jittery ride, which is part of their suspension tune. Plus the Recaro seats in the Ford...while fun for 20 minute rides...give me concerns about a 2 hour commute. My HHR seats are plenty comfy.

I'm 100% on board with you on the mild tune. If I get an HHR SS, I don't want to hurt drivability or reliability at all. Just some very gentle massaging. Nor would I want to effect ride quality, so I'll leave the suspension stock. What are realistic expectations for power gains with a very gentle tune? How does it effect mpg? Since I'll be driving the daylights out of it, I'm looking for a well kept example with under 60k miles.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Only suspension work I'd suggest is a rear swaybar, the TTR bar is a great addition

Welcome to the site!!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM

Well I got my 09 HHR SS back in Aug 2009 in Sep 09 I added a Trifecta tune I just rolled over 124k this week and drive about 90 miles per day with 0 issues with his tune. As for mpg my display says 26 mpg.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:35 PM

Mine just hit 43K and have left the engine stock. My head still whips back when I punch it! Love everything about the car, except the large pillars.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Klayfish
I What are realistic expectations for power gains with a very gentle tune? How does it effect mpg? Since I'll be driving the daylights out of it, I'm looking for a well kept example with under 60k miles.
Power gains will depend on the tune and/or who tunes it. If it doesn't have the stage kit installed get the sensors and adapters and work with the original file.

LNF 3 BAR MAP SENSORS

CED LNF Stage Kit CEDLNF1

I have adjusted my VVT settings from stock values and I get 33 - 34 MPG on the freeway. They need to be adjusted to a lower RPM number, I get my best figures at @ 75-80 MPH, speed is a little on the high side. Adjusting the VVT settings isn't for the faint of heart... if done wrong the valves get to say hello to the pistons.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 PM
Nazgul 9

I have a 2009 SS with the Trifecta tune I have had it since 2011 got it with 14k miles on it and now I am at 150k :) no problems and i still get 30+ MPG actually avg is 33 mpg highway and just so you know with the right work done these can leave a ford or mazda in the dust,,take a look around the site you will see several guys on here that run in the 12s 1/4mile time..

Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Wanted to ask a follow up question...I'm sure I could search to find the answer, but I don't have a ton of time, so I hope you don't flame me too much. Is it a MUST to do exhaust and intake before doing the Trifecta tune? If I had a 100% bone stock SS and did the tune, how much benefit would I get from it? About to pull the trigger on an SS, and I could do the intake now, but an exhaust isn't cheap and I'd rather wait. I know, it's all about breathing in AND out, but will the factory exhaust work well enough for the Trifecta tune to have value?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

From what I've read and general consensus is that the stock system is fine from the factory. GM did a great job on it.

I'm running stock, just with the K&N filter and the SuperChips tune and have been really happy with it. I wouldn't change out anything else.

Get the Motor Mount for sure along with that tune. Best bang for your buck I think

Quick Reply: Anyone put a lot of miles on their SS? With Trifecta tune?