HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Big Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Big Change

I am thinking about trading my 04 Jeep Wrangler for a red SS. Actually went and test drove it today and the SS is sitting in my garage, the dealership let me have it till Monday to try out. My question for you guys is, I have always had either pickup trucks or jeeps and I am trying to decide if I will be happy with something less rugged. Anyone had the same concern and what did you do? If you did go through with it any regrets?
Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Welcome to the site. I was looking at getting a small to mid range truck(colorado) but decided on getting a HHR for its gas mileage and still be able to carry and haul stuff I need to. So ya, it may not be able to go 4x4ing but it has the utilty factor. I hauled 24 full cases of bananas before and it lil slow but overall all it was good.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:49 PM

You brought up a good concern. I missed being able to throw dirt, sand, or whatever into my Avalanche. Just go home unload and wash the bed if needed. I love my SS, but I watch what I put in and I'm always freaked out about scratching the bumper. There's no way I'm putting a bag of manure from Lowes' in my SS.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
Welcome to the site. I was looking at getting a small to mid range truck(colorado) but decided on getting a HHR for its gas mileage and still be able to carry and haul stuff I need to. So ya, it may not be able to go 4x4ing but it has the utilty factor. I hauled 24 full cases of bananas before and it lil slow but overall all it was good.
I'm exactly the same. I owned GMC Sierra for the last 12 years. Love that truck, but man the mileage sux. I considered the Colorado as well, but didn't like the reviews. I really only needed the truck for when I go camping a couple times a year and the the HHR has the space I need for that. What other use for a truck is there in the city really?

After 2 weeks, I can say I made the right choice. I love driving this HHR. It's a bit different than the truck, of course, but much more fun! The SS, I'm sure, even more so. And I don't have to cry about a $90 fillup anymore (yet).

Yes, I'll always love my truck. But, it's gone with no regrets.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:35 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
I am thinking about trading my 04 Jeep Wrangler for a red SS. Actually went and test drove it today and the SS is sitting in my garage, the dealership let me have it till Monday to try out. My question for you guys is, I have always had either pickup trucks or jeeps and I am trying to decide if I will be happy with something less rugged. Anyone had the same concern and what did you do? If you did go through with it any regrets?
Bullfrog,

I've also had 4x4's for many, many years before I got my HHR. I had my last truck for about 11 years. I've had my HHR for a couple of years now and I'm very satisfied. I would never go back. Most people with 4x4's really don't go off-road that much, if any. So, you can evaluate your driving habits and see if you really need a 4x4 to go off-road, etc.

I use my HHR daily and transport my dogs in the back. They love it! I find that the HHR is very solid and everything works smooth as silk. It's truly a pleasure to drive plus the gas mileage is good too. For me, it's one of the most fun and easy to drive vehicles I have had, plus it looks good too! I also own a Tahoe and a C5 Corvette 6 speed.

CruzinOne
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM

My first time (ever) without a truck also. The SS is way more fun to drive, and almost double the MPG. I have borrowed my brother's truck once (and put $140 worth of gas in it), and rented a full size SUV once, since trading in my Silverado in January. Right decision for me.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM

The HHR is a car. As a replacement for a truck it is a good compromise and a very good vehicle but it is not a truck. I traded in a full size pick up and I like my HHR and the mileage, but I missed having a pick up and because I can, I also now have a small pickup.

Hindsight being 20-20 and if I had to do it over again the right thing to do would have been to get a loaded mid-size pickup (but probably wouldn’t, I like two vehicles).
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Smile

SORRY LONG POST.. RANT!
I had a silverado for the last 6 years, when I stopped...and took a good hard look, for my pesonal use's.. I should have never bought a truck at all. Maybe twice a year I could justify my truck, but as a daily commuter, and family car, it was a un-economical choice on my part. But at the time $3 Gas was never going to happen. , 6 years ago they were offering (at the time) great deals on trucks/ full size SUV's. So I bought into that mentality...hey... why not have a 40K truck. But times have changed.. and THE WORLD has changed . Well after trading in my EXPENSIVE truck for something great on gas that is fun to drive. I feel, well LIBERATED! like I wish GM had these choices back then.. G5, G6, HHR, The 2.2 ecotec. and superchared I4. Everyone thinks and say, What was the Big 3 thinking? with all the Big suv's?.. I want to laugh, because they all(big3) had great fuel-efficent offering's, but people (like Me) were'nt interested. FORD Focus.. DCX Neon..(PT cruiser).. GM/Saturn (anything with a 4banger). But we were't (including Me) interested. This is just the tip of the iceberg, MPG is whats selling now and the big three DO have vehicles to compete, Especially "Pontiac". Believe it or not the USA car company's will be the best at MPG and Quality very soon,
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 PM

LOL, I'm seeing a trend here and i'm part of it too.
Tho i have the best of both worlds(if you want to call filling up a 34 gallon tank just under once a week something good) Drove a Silverado b4 i got my SS, tho in my case i kept the truck.Told my wife if i get something better on gas, i'm keeping my truck just cuz (she agreed )
Since i had the SS, the only use the truck's been getting is on my property (got 10 acres)picking up tree limbs/shuttling stuff to-from the pole barn etc.

Loaded 15 16.5 lbs bags of dry dog food in the back of the SS, and it did ok (and less than 1/2 the gas and for the first time, the trip did not cost me more than what i saved on dog food (wholesale cost)

Never gonna treat the SS like a truck, well mebbe a lil like a very small station wagon (i hate that term)

I feel for you guys that had a truck prior to a SS, cuz i'd be major league bummed and screwed if i got rid of my truck.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyones right as far as driving habits. I maybe lock in 4wd once a year or so if it snows bad. I live in Ohio so we get several snowfalls a year but in the 2-5 inch range. Once every couple years you get a larger one. I also used the jeep to rip out a couple small pine trees last month (probably can't do that with the HHR ). But 99% of the time I don't need 4wd. I figure if i do take the plunge I will pick up a used small 4wd pickup down the road. Heck pretty soon I'll be able to pick up a big diesel for next to nothing . As far as hauling I had the same issue owning a jeep so I bought a small trailer which has worked for what I haul. I plan to put a hitch on the HHR so I can go to Lowes .

Quick Reply: Big Change