HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Blk 08 SS test drove for fun

Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Blk 08 SS test drove for fun

So the dealer around the corner has a black 08 SS and for s and g's I thought I'd take it out for a spin.

It was a 5spd and we have a 5spd 0 civic we bought new back when thats still grabbing like gold!

The SS seemed to have quite a bit of go over my ho hum 07 2.2 LS but things seemed off about it.. lets begin:

Whats the traction button next to the fog light button suppose to do?
I didn't see any lights turn on off/on or anything? Tried both ways to drop the hammer and it just took off, no smoke show on command

I am coming from my weekend driver 03 SLP Regal GSX
http://www.fabini.com/slp/slpbuickgsx.html
Stage 3 with a bit more over the standard package in way of HP.

I tried to rack it through the gears but it seemed like every time I was going to grab 4th it was like nothing was there, no gear at all.. slow down wait a sec and 4th was there but then I'm going to slow..

I dunno about you seasoned pros but from the feel of it I can shift our lowly Civic about 1,000,000 times faster then that SS. Maybe its the sloppy civic vs the precision SS engineering?

Enlighten me :)
Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 AM
RFT

It sounds like the shifter needs to be tweaked a bit. That, IMHO, is the biggest problem with the car. Mine, however was grabbing for second gear instead of fourth. Fortunately, between replacing it with an aftermarket piece and the process of adjusting during install, all is good now.

Rob
Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I have both an 08 Civic and an 08 SS. Love both cars but yes, the Civic rows through the gears with buttery smoothness, the HHR is more of a forced issue.
The Traction control can be turned off and hitting the button twice will give you launch control (no lift shift)
Not sure if turning it to "Competition Mode" changes the fuel mixture or anything performance related. Perhaps in the auto, it sets the shift points higher?

JIm
Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 AM

The traction button can either shut off the traction control or be used for comp more.

This sets the launch contol in Comp mode and no lift shift. Int he AUto all it does is set the launch control which is a less agressive traction control. it will give a little wheel spin but still cut in enough to keep the tires from going up in smoke,

If you want smoke shut the traction control all the way off.

The shifters are heavy and with miles they get a little less effective. Often they need adjusted to get back in spec. GM never has had what I would call a great shifter in most of their cars. Only the old Hurst shifters of the 60's were anygood.

I have a COMP G GTP that at Series III 3800 260 HP feels like a dog vs the HHR SS with the Turbo upgrade. Even the stock 5 speed feels much better.

Less weght and more power is hard to match.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Just an interesting point, but it seems that once an LNF engine or Saab MU3 Getrag trans is put into an HHR, all goes to S**T. Pontiac Solstice and Saab owners seem to be okay with them, but there is a fair amount of complaints here.

From my own perspective, my man trans is very notchy, but I like it that way. Never had an issue finding any gears and the feeling is deliberate. Maybe the inconsistency in performance is specifically with the assembly proceedures (or lack of) at the GM Ramos Arizpe plant?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

I have a COMP G GTP that at Series III 3800 260 HP feels like a dog vs the HHR SS with the Turbo upgrade. Even the stock 5 speed feels much better.

Less weght and more power is hard to match.
Must be a slug of a Pontiac

Granted Ive dropped a few bones into the Buick it'll break your neck.. Something about Supercharged vs Turbo. and when you get eh Tq.

A good friend just went from a SC 3.8 with a list oh mods to a Saab Aero 2.8 Auto and granted you feel it once your moving its nothing compared to that instant neck snap.

But enough about these other cars.

That TRACTION control button, was a light going to turn off or on? I didnt see anything change anywhere on the cluster? I pressed it held it tapped it a few times... I did see that it looks like the cluster had a S in a gear like sport mode? Kinda like the Cadillacs with tap shift have (SRX)
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by delta88
Must be a slug of a Pontiac

Granted Ive dropped a few bones into the Buick it'll break your neck.. Something about Supercharged vs Turbo. and when you get eh Tq.

A good friend just went from a SC 3.8 with a list oh mods to a Saab Aero 2.8 Auto and granted you feel it once your moving its nothing compared to that instant neck snap.

But enough about these other cars.

That TRACTION control button, was a light going to turn off or on? I didnt see anything change anywhere on the cluster? I pressed it held it tapped it a few times... I did see that it looks like the cluster had a S in a gear like sport mode? Kinda like the Cadillacs with tap shift have (SRX)
Not a slug just a stock 3600 pond 260 HP 3800 SC vs 3200 pound SS with 290 HP and 315 FT LB with 23 pounds boost.

The stock GP is good but not compare to the SS turbo upgrade.

You want neck snap get a 428 Pontiac with a good cam and a little head work. That makes any 3800 Sc just another economy car.

The traction control button will light the TC light on the cluster and also comp mode will come up in the info center. When you stop it will say launch control.

You can with the 5 speed plant the gas on the floor and dump the clutch. Then hold the gas down and no lift shift.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
You want neck snap get a 428 Pontiac with a good cam and a little head work. That makes any 3800 Sc just another economy car.
Or a 4.5 inch stroke 400!!!!

Dave
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2010SilverIceSS
Or a 4.5 inch stroke 400!!!!

Dave
About any Pontiac is a torque monster with little work.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM

hum, 17 post in almost 3 years? Do you really want to know the SS or are you just lol'n

JIC, they make solid mounts for the tranny that people say help alot. And if your really into it a hard shift in 4th is @ 100mph. That is what kills us in the 1/4 imo.

Hope your real and not a troll. Peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blk 08 SS test drove for fun