HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Changing winter tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Changing winter tire combo

When will everyone with the winter tire/wheel combo be changing back to the much better looking stockers? Here in Ohio the weather is very unpredictable so i'm thinking not until the beginning of April. Can't wait for the SS to look better and also it will be nice to get some dry pavement traction when the boost hits 20 lbs!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Interesting that you brought this up... I was thinking about this for the first time yesterday. Maybe because it was almost 60 degrees here!

I'm gonna wait till at least the middle of April though as my stock SS tires have almost 27K mi. on them and were getting a little treacherous on wet roads. Still to risky around here with on/off weather also. We got 14" of lake affect snow in Milwaukee on Monday! I'd like the original tires to last one more complete summer season if I can keep the miles down this year. Should be able to do that now that I have a company vehicle for my commute.

I am really looking forward those nice looking wheels and tires though. It totally changes the appearance of the ride and the car really handles much better. I got a lot more looks and compliments on the car with those on, that's for sure!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:30 AM

Yeah, believe me... I wanted to get my truck out yesterday because it was 60...but I know it's going to snow again, and they will use salt again... I've gotten it out before at the beginning of April, and had it snow and I couldn't drive it for a few weeks after I got it out.

At least I can open the sunroof.... One option I can't live without!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Here in Ohio you can't change no earlier than April 15th or you will be in snow. If you can wait till the 25th you should be safe.

I taget the 15th and then judge the weather patterns for the coming week.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:17 PM

You've got an advantage on us though hyperv6, you have an awesome looking winter tire/wheel setup! You can't lose either way in the looks dept. only on the handling i'd imagine you'd suffer.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by 08redhhrss
You've got an advantage on us though hyperv6, you have an awesome looking winter tire/wheel setup! You can't lose either way in the looks dept. only on the handling i'd imagine you'd suffer.
Thanks!

Other than extreem limit grip and a little slower turn in they do pretty well. Not that much of as drop off as you would imagine. Often the larger tires are more for looks or to cover larger brakes than inproved handling. Often a smaller tires will do the same job If anything I like the ride better of the taller sidewalls.

I think after putting the 16's on it really shows how well GMPD tuned the SS. The was so little drop off in handling I don't miss it.

But even with these wheels I still like the look of the18's so much better and think about it ever time I see a picture posted on this site with the OE wheels on.

On the other hand I do not miss the brake dust!!!!!! In the nice weather my wheels get more dirty than the SS.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:31 PM

I thought about doing it this weekend here in Chicago-land but it's raining and muddy so I'll put it on hold. Want to get the SS rims back on.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by a76marine
I thought about doing it this weekend here in Chicago-land but it's raining and muddy so I'll put it on hold. Want to get the SS rims back on.

Hold the horses hoss youi have more snow comig as it is only March.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM

I will be removing my Blizzaks within the next week. Even if there is some more snow here and there, I'll handle it with the summer tires. Blizzaks don't like warm weather and dry roads as they wear REAL fast under those conditions.

Steve
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM

Might also want to wait on changes till they get the roads patched up as with the warm and cold of March bring the dreaded Pot Holes. Here in Ohio we get more road damage in the spring than any other time.

These holes can and will eat tires and wheels with short side walls.

Quick Reply: Changing winter tire combo