HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Coilover project underway.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Coilover project underway.

When replacing the worn swaybar links, I noticed that one of the struts was leaking oil. Well, there are no mainstream aftermarket replacments for FE5 suspension, and the early demise (38K) and relatively high cost of OEM parts sent me looking to the performance aftermarket. I know the Pedders coilover setup is first rate, but in my current state, I had to stay as close to the Monroe/KYB price point as possible. I decided on the BC coilover kit, based on good results people have had with them on GTO's, and a couple of users here.

Upon inspection, they appear to be of very good quality. The instructions were translated from Taiwanese to English by Russians, but they convey the required information. If you really need instructions to replace struts, you probably need to be driving a Prius anyhow.

I won't be installing them til after Aug 12, but here's a picture of the parts. Looking forward to duplicating the good results others have had with these.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

What did these set you back mike if you don't mind me inquiring, just interested myself in finding a lowering solution and are these essentially a direct fit?

-Oscar
Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM

They were about a grand shipped. Can't comment on the fitment yet. Supposedly they are, but I won't put it in print until I get them in. Rainman has a set and likes them, but he hasn't logged on for a little while.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Administrator

they look right but fitting them will tell the tale keep us updated.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM

Got any better pics of these things? Especially the fronts.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Saw rainman Sunday, He is happy with the BC's.....He tossed out the adjuster in the rear, and raised the front 1/4".....says they ride better now. I haven't rode in it since He put them in.

The KWV2's I have are finally riding very close to the YYZv1's I have on the panel, small adjustments make a big difference, it takes a while to find nirvana......

Here he is in the winner circle again................
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Hey, tell Rainman to log in. I sent him a PM, but he hasn't been online since. I'd love to know what height and damping adjustments are working out for him. HHR is my daily, so I'm not looking to scrape driveway aprons, but a little drop would be acceptable.

I have KW Variant 3's on my GTO and it transformed a rather plodding, heavy ride into something quite responsive and nimble. My budgetary constraints don't permit that this time around.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

Dont the BC have preload adjustment too ? That makes one more thing to play with...... I don't think He has changed that yet. Do they have #'s or clicks ?

Did you check out the iphone controlled KW's. Would be nice to dial on the fly.

I sent The Rainman a message for you by Morse code, I think He knows it...

No wonder He threw out the adjusters with the lock rings it's a good 1/2". Just throw the plug back in there. unless you do driveways.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:17 PM

Mike, my brother on the LS1 forum told me about this before I even saw your post looks like you've got some Goat guys inspired

I was also curious about the price. A grand doesn't sound too bad for BC coilovers.

Where did you buy from? BC? Ebay?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Dont the BC have preload adjustment too ? That makes one more thing to play with...... I don't think He has changed that yet. Do they have #'s or clicks ?

Did you check out the iphone controlled KW's. Would be nice to dial on the fly.

I sent The Rainman a message for you by Morse code, I think He knows it...

No wonder He threw out the adjusters with the lock rings it's a good 1/2". Just throw the plug back in there. unless you do driveways.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coilover project underway.