HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Competition mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Competition mode

I find myself dropping into low 1 and hitting the comp/traction button at stop lights on a regular basis. I have taken on Civic SI's, CobaltSS, Mustangs, and Impalla SS's. I have tried the 3000+ stall technique, and just a dead stop pedal mash. I have to say fro eperience that a dead stop pedal mash has worked far better than winding it up and spinning the tires. When I have used the "stall" tatic It has been a pretty even launch with equel tire spin between the ss and the other autos. When I just go fro a dead pedal. there is a little spin and a good grab, then gone. Once the SS hiits Second gear it is usually too late for the competition, as the HHR shoots past them for an almost instintanious car length, after that even a Cobalt has problems catching up, the mustang is still spinning tires, the civic sounds like is is going to explode, and the Impalla is just too heavy.

SS Mods: Sky/Solstice-wastegate adjustment, KN Filter, 25 PSI to front tires
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Street racing is dangerous and Illegal........
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 AM

[quote=tomw;301113]Street racing is dangerous and Illegal........[/quote

Here (Ontario) as the result of too many tragedies, (several deaths) they take your car. A realtively new law, seemed severe at the time, but does appear to have made a difference. Hits the "car guy" where it hurts and obviuosly makes you think twice.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by tomw
Street racing is dangerous and Illegal........

Yes.. but being the 1st up to the speed limit is fun and legal when done safely.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM

What does dropping the front tires to 25 PSI do for you?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Sorry, should have made it clear.... the racing is done at a small airport here in talle. twice a month- weather permitting, car has to pass inspection, insurance waivers, helmets, 1/4 tank of gas, etc. only street legal cars are allowed. and then are bracketed based upon performance.

The reason for lower PSI, is more rubber touching the ground
Old 08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!!!
I live in MD and we had 8 folks killed several months ago will watching an Illegal Street Drag racing Contest!
Hot button issue for me........
Old 08-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
The reason for lower PSI, is more rubber touching the ground
You sure 'bout that? I'd maybe want to do the chalk and black paper thing. You know, just ta see "what" is touching.......also be thinkin' that it adds rollin' resistance to the bottom line.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by stranger
You sure 'bout that? I'd maybe want to do the chalk and black paper thing. You know, just ta see "what" is touching.......also be thinkin' that it adds rollin' resistance to the bottom line.
That was my thought as well.

I guess the lower pressure in the front tires would also theoretically lower the front end slightly, creating more downforce. This would help if you needed grip during turning, but I don't know about drag racing.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
That was my thought as well.

I guess the lower pressure in the front tires would also theoretically lower the front end slightly, creating more downforce. This would help if you needed grip during turning, but I don't know about drag racing.
Wrong Wrong Wrong!!!

1: The rake of a vehicle, a wing, and a chin spoiler, DO NOT and I'll repeat myself DO NOT add downforce they may however limit lift!

2: Lowering air pressure is in fact a great way of increasing the tire patch on the pavement therefore increasing traction FOR DRAG RACING ONLY do this on a road corse and you'll peal a tire off the rim. To much tire flex is the enemy of road racers. More air pressure limits tire flex.

Quick Reply: Competition mode