HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Dressing up your SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM

Dressing up your SS

What are you guys thinking of adding on to your SS in terms of appearance? Im thinking about doing some work under the hood to dress up the wiring and stuff a little. I don't think the exterior really needs anything. I heard some people say you should get splash guards because a lot of stuff gets kicked up on the side of the car.. but not sure how that would look on an SS. These door sill plates look decent I guess.. http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/door-s...35_558_572_113
Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM

Red Mod

I painted the calipers red this weekend, sets off the black paint nicely.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Offy
I painted the calipers red this weekend, sets off the black paint nicely.
Cool! I just ordered my Red SS on Saturday.. can't wait til it gets here!!! I painted the calipers on my cobalt red also.. but only a few months later the paint started chipping off and it just looked crappy after that. I don't think it handled the winter and road salt too well. What kind of paint did you use? If I remember correctly I used Duracoat. I'd love to get mine powdercoated.. wonder how much that costs.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:55 PM

Nice minor touches are replace the antenna with a polished or black stubbie antenna. Remove the rear wiper and install a polished spacer and a chrome acorn nut, or remove th eentire motor and do something even cleaner, either way, lose the rear wiper.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 PM

Im not big on making too many mods. Antenna, maybe the rear wiper thing, but not much. Its cool the way it is. Riding the fence on mud flaps (splash guards). a new owner on here forgot who, said his side ground effects are getting too splashed up... might be a concern.

might look into lowering springs later on... unless that puts the front air dam so close to the ground that it bumps on everything.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DMcGrew
Cool! I just ordered my Red SS on Saturday.. can't wait til it gets here!!! I painted the calipers on my cobalt red also.. but only a few months later the paint started chipping off and it just looked crappy after that. I don't think it handled the winter and road salt too well. What kind of paint did you use? If I remember correctly I used Duracoat. I'd love to get mine powdercoated.. wonder how much that costs.
Look in to Por-15 www.por15.com you can`t beat that stuff and you get a great finish even with a brush.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 AM

Red Brakes

I used Duplicolor with brush application. It's a lot easier than taping off everything and risking overspray. It goes on easily and flows out so there are no signs of brush marks. It should be easy to touch them up if needed even with the wheels on.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 AM

I highly recommend the spash guards. Within the first month with mine, front tire picked up a rock and it bounced down the top of the running board. The spash guards give you a littel extra protection. Since I put them on, I have had nothing hit the sides.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:31 PM

Maybe not strictly "dress up", but I really like the way my Garmin installation worked out.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:52 AM

Power Source

Originally Posted by c2vette
Maybe not strictly "dress up", but I really like the way my Garmin installation worked out.
Did you direct wire it or put a power port in the samr compartment?

Quick Reply: Dressing up your SS