HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Gauges! Always a fun topic....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:39 AM

Gauges! Always a fun topic....

I am looking into improving my monitoring ability in my SS. I was wondering what Autometer Gauge series is closest to the factory boost gauge in our cars??? I know they made it special just for the SS, but the closest I can seem to get is between the sport comp IIs, the Cobalt series (unintentional I think??), and the NExus series gauges. I just can't put my finger on it but they all are CLOSE but not quite right. I know I probably shouldnt be so picky but realistically astetics are important too...

Looking for these gauges:

Oil pressure: 2.0625" full sweep
Oil temp: 2.0625" full sweep
Pyrometer: 2.0625" full sweep
and a Dpic....

If anyone can help me out/ if you have any of above mentioned items and you dont need them anymore.... let me know
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 AM

Do yourself a favore and just buy them as they are not that expensive mail order.

Sport Comps II are ypur best bet to make them match your booste gauge.

Or just get the Aeroforce Scan gauge and get the oil pressure adapter with it. It will give you what you want and about 25 more things to read on top of that.

I sell Autometer at work and bought the Aeroforce from a competitior because it is that good and we fail to sell it yet.

If you have not seen an Aeroforce yet check it out before you buy anythng. It mounts in you boost gauge pillar mount and just plugs in to your usb port.

Checked out their web site and options. One or Two of these meters will do the job and then some of what your looking at. ALso the many colors are availabe to match you colors on you HHR.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Thats a good call. I checked out the Aeroforce Interceptor. I honestly think thats the way to go. For the price, you're not going to get more scanning capability. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RocketBuSS
Thats a good call. I checked out the Aeroforce Interceptor. I honestly think thats the way to go. For the price, you're not going to get more scanning capability. Thanks for the help!
No problem the guys here got me interested in these and I thought they were a great item.

Now if I could only get my work to add their line them as they would be a good money maker if we carried them.

Might do a search here as we have several threads with them installed in the SS. I will give you an idea of what it will look like.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 AM

I've got a Dash Hawk. Reads all kinds of obscure stuff, but no oil pressure, due to GM's weird way of handling that particular piece of data.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:05 PM

Yeah and I quite honestly don't understand why GM doesnt install factory oil pressure gauges on anything but their full size trucks... And like you said, their sending unit is a mystery to most scanning equip....
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Yeah and I quite honestly don't understand why GM doesnt install factory oil pressure gauges on anything but their full size trucks... And like you said, their sending unit is a mystery to most scanning equip....

Just look at all the threads we have here on Boost levels people do not understand. Imagine the people calling the dealer with oil pressure problems that are not real problems.

This is a case where less info the better it is for GM. I get enough people at work that do not understand what pressures they should have at what temps and RPM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:41 PM

You must be a tech lol. I used to be an Olds GMC Pontiac tech at a small dealer near my house until olds was shut down and the place went out of business... I can recall some of my conversations with service writers and customers themselves where I would literally have to walk away to avoid an arguement over stupid stuff. I can totally see where you would be correct on that statment 150%. Unfortunately for us relatively technically savy people, we now get to suffer the unknown. Looks like even GM got tired of stupid people :-)

I just did an aftermarket tune thru Martin Scott at GMRC and while the tune is incredible, it still isnt certified by GM, therefore I want to keep an eye on my vitals to monitor and prevent a problem that would potentially void my warranty. THAT and also not seizing my turbo or motor would be nice too....
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

Funny thing, they equipped the G8 with those gauges and the automotive press ripped on them for including "obsolete" gauges, so GM discontinued them for '09. The press really didn't have anything else to rip on, but since they were GM they needed to come up with something.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Funny thing, they equipped the G8 with those gauges and the automotive press ripped on them for including "obsolete" gauges, so GM discontinued them for '09. The press really didn't have anything else to rip on, but since they were GM they needed to come up with something.
They grilled them because they were LED in red like they used to put on a Buick T type from the 80's

THey also were not what I would call a accurate gauge.

Quick Reply: Gauges! Always a fun topic....