HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

got a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:06 AM

got a few questions...

yo sup hhr owners...i been looking at the hhr ss and the cobalt ss for awhile now and still cant decide lol tho im gonna go personally look at the hhr ss again this weekend, i was so stunned by the power the first time i diidnt think about the stuff i wanted to check into on it lol...so figured ill post my questions to see what u guys say 1:gas milage seems a bit lower than on the cobalt, and im goin off gas milage threads off here and cobaltss.net, what kinda gas milage u guys get at the worse, u know those days where u drive it like u stole evertime ur in it lol...and 2: tho its a 4 door there really is no rear end/trunk space. yea its easier to sit 4 people in rather than the 2 door cobalt but theres no luggage space it seems...i may be wrong? i got a nice car system and it dont look like it will fit behind the back seats...3: i know the auto has less hp and torque, im fine with that, thats one of the things keeping it in my mind vs the cobalt not having an auto, they rate the stick 0-60 around 6.3secs and the auto around 7.4secs, is this pretty accurate? and can u do the performance upgrades even if its auto? ne thing els i should know bout going wit auto over stick?...thanx
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM

You can get the new stage kit to boost your HP to 290.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:48 AM

1:gas milage seems a bit lower than on the cobalt, and im goin off gas milage threads off here and cobaltss.net, what kinda gas milage u guys get at the worse, u know those days where u drive it like u stole evertime ur in it lol...and
Think about power to weight ratio also. MPG=Approx 28 hwy, about 25 around town (not city) and about 18 stealing it

2: tho its a 4 door there really is no rear end/trunk space. yea its easier to sit 4 people in rather than the 2 door cobalt but theres no luggage space it seems...i may be wrong? i got a nice car system and it dont look like it will fit behind the back seats..
But I just brought home a 52" Sony XBR in it saving myself a $120 delivery fee, but no rear passengers would fit. And the removeable package tray shelf adds horizontal storage or discreet sub mounting.

3: i know the auto has less hp and torque, im fine with that, thats one of the things keeping it in my mind vs the cobalt not having an auto, they rate the stick 0-60 around 6.3secs and the auto around 7.4secs, is this pretty accurate? and can u do the performance upgrades even if its auto? ne thing els i should know bout going wit auto over stick?...thanx
Pretty accurate on the times and for auto's-you're only restricted to auto-only aftermarket tunes. The GM tune covers both trannies ,and you can use most bolt-on aftermarket goodies.

Main differences +/-:
Stick- Able to get a limited slip differential, no lift shift and choose your shift points.
Auto- Remote start use, 250HP reduced to 235 in 1st and 2nd gear (stock)
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Welcome to the site Shawn.

Originally Posted by JuggaloShawn
yo sup hhr owners...i been looking at the hhr ss and the cobalt ss for awhile now and still cant decide lol tho im gonna go personally look at the hhr ss again this weekend, i was so stunned by the power the first time i diidnt think about the stuff i wanted to check into on it lol...so figured ill post my questions to see what u guys say

1:gas milage seems a bit lower than on the cobalt, and im goin off gas milage threads off here and cobaltss.net, what kinda gas milage u guys get at the worse, u know those days where u drive it like u stole evertime ur in it lol...
The above statement describes my driving habits well. On a freeway averaging WELL above the speed limit I still see 25+mpg average, and in city driving the worst I've seen is 18mpg average.

2: tho its a 4 door there really is no rear end/trunk space. yea its easier to sit 4 people in rather than the 2 door cobalt but theres no luggage space it seems...i may be wrong?

i got a nice car system and it dont look like it will fit behind the back seats...
Check out the space under the shelf in the back, and the different pictures of system installs in the appropriate forum, then make your decision. I've carried everything from four wheeler tires to small trees in the back of my SS.

3: i know the auto has less hp and torque, im fine with that, thats one of the things keeping it in my mind vs the cobalt not having an auto, they rate the stick 0-60 around 6.3secs and the auto around 7.4secs, is this pretty accurate? and can u do the performance upgrades even if its auto? ne thing els i should know bout going wit auto over stick?...thanx
You should know to get the stick Just a personal preference.

Yes, you can do MOST upgrades on the auto, but aftermarket tuning with HPT may be a little harder to source if you ever want to go that route.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Here's an automatic:

Also, I wanted 4 doors.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Also, I wanted 4 doors.
Jeff, do you have a camera mount? That was a good vid.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Here's an automatic:

Also, I wanted 4 doors.
cool vid - too bad we couldn't see the boost gauge too
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSS
Jeff, do you have a camera mount? That was a good vid.
No, what I did was mount the camera to my tripod in the back seat with one leg sticking up to the front passenger side and I had it bungy-corded to the front seats.

I added the bungy cords after some neet videos of the sunroof, dome lights, etc.

Here's one I did holding the camera with my right hand through the sunroof.

BTW this month or maybe last month's Videomaker magazene has a good article on videoing from a vehicle.
videomaker.com
Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Like your video and the idea of a tri-pod.I usually have my wife holding the camera,but every time I got on it she'd drop the camera.

Here's a link for a sticky pod camera mount,I bought one but haven't used it yet.

http://www.stickypod.com/
Old 01-08-2009, 12:48 PM

Hey Jeff, love the 0 - 60 video.... You only squeal tires in 1st gear?

Quick Reply: got a few questions...