HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Headed to Willow Springs tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Headed to Willow Springs tomorrow!

New SS owner here. Going to Willow Springs for the first time tomorrow. My SS is totally stock, except for some kick ass valve stem caps and really fast license plate frames. Can't wait to try launch control and comp mode. My buddies will have some big $$$ cars out there. I want just make a respectable showing and have fun. I'll try to take some pics. Zoom!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Have a safe trip Bill..
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

- so lets see some pics of those stem caps and the license plate frames!!! Where did you get them? What did they cost? - will the valve stem caps fit on my stock 16" aluminum rims with stock Firestones? OMG I have so many questions - maybe less coffee would be best.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:17 AM

What a blast. Nice weather. Didn't do anything special to the car but a little octane boost. The DBS was the one to beat out there today. I was a good 14+ seconds off of him, I couldn't break 1:58, but I didn't give a damn. I've got some GoPro footage I'll post shortly. I only ran about 15 laps. Never got too far out of line, kept the revs reasonable and didn't miss a shift. When I finished the engine light lit up. Don't know what's up, but it drove home fine. I'll investigate shortly, but if anyone's got tips, I'm all ears. Here she is cooling down...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM

I tried all the usual things to get the engine light off, gas cap, etc. No dice. I guess it's a trip to the dealer. Another weird thing is the OnStar kept coming on and talking to me in the middle of the esses. I couldn't hear what it was saying, but I'm not a paying customer, so it must have been some sort of warning. Here's the Austin Martin DBS at speed.I went around in the passenger seat and it was pretty cool...and it should be. For the privilege of driving such a car, the driver paid about $17,500.00 for each second he beat my time by. I'm pretty certain if I put 17.5K into my stock SS, I could shave at least a few seconds off my time. ;-)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Grab a code reader and read the code(s) - or use Autozone who will do a reading for free. To just reset it, and clear the CEL, disconnect the NEGATIVE battery connection for a minute or so.

If you have the Onstar subscription, isn't there a way you can talk to them (oh, not a paying customer - nevermind ), and find out what the code is? They also email such info too I think.

Sounds like you had a blast at the track. It sure is different than "fast" street driving isn't it? LOL

Last edited by whopper; 12-31-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: duh - not a subscriber - I do have to read it better
Old 12-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Nice SS klunkerbill. Hey, do you have to belong to a club to run at Willow Springs?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 AM

Good news...engine light went out. Maybe it was just oil temp or something? After it cooled off last night it lit up fine this morning and was running great. The OnStar thing must be some sort of programmed warning, since I don't subscribe. It just went on when pullings some Gs in the uphill turns. No club thing at Willow for us, it was just a track rental by the guy with the DBS. Maybe 10 cars and 20 folks milling around. I never signed a paper, except entering the gate. I missed the driver's meeting, but they had one. I just ran a few laps sitting shotgun in my car with a track-employed driver, Debbie. She was really cool and just showed me the line, we switched for a few laps, and away I went solo. Boxter S, Cayman, S2000, WRX, A.M. DBS and quick imports and mine. I'll have to check out the website and see what's up, because I really want to do it again. So fun to use the whole road. I'm trying to cut one lap from the GoPro stuff. Still importing. I just wish I had a proper mic under the hood for engine noise. ;-)