HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Hhr Ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Dominic....

You no like. I give you 20K for it. Options don't matter.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Dominic....

You no like. I give you 20K for it. Options don't matter.
If all the unhappy SS owners would make us non-SS owners deals. I'd say there would be alot more happy SS owners when it was all said and done, hahahaa
Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 PM

My question would be if the Soltice/Sky turbo people notice the noise, if not, then sound suppression would be the difference. I don't believe adding the hood insulator would cause a problem with heat, Buick GNs had hood insulators, I believe its a cost issue with the HHR, come on guys, there is alot of good stuff for the price, and its not hard to believe that some accountant is responsible for a few bucks saved here and there to keep the price in line. Kinda like no footwell lites, no door lock cylinders in the pass door or rear door. These are all things left off new cars to help cut costs. Some things I miss in the way they make cars now, some I don't.
The important thing is, many things you don't like can be addressed. Like a hood insulator, or a new seat cover and foam to make you pass seat match your Performance driver seat. Thats part of the fun of a new car, doing it up "YOUR" way.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 PM

hhrss

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
My question would be if the Soltice/Sky turbo people notice the noise, if not, then sound suppression would be the difference. I don't believe adding the hood insulator would cause a problem with heat, Buick GNs had hood insulators, I believe its a cost issue with the HHR, come on guys, there is alot of good stuff for the price, and its not hard to believe that some accountant is responsible for a few bucks saved here and there to keep the price in line. Kinda like no footwell lites, no door lock cylinders in the pass door or rear door. These are all things left off new cars to help cut costs. Some things I miss in the way they make cars now, some I don't.
The important thing is, many things you don't like can be addressed. Like a hood insulator, or a new seat cover and foam to make you pass seat match your Performance driver seat. Thats part of the fun of a new car, doing it up "YOUR" way.
Thank you Ray, Yes there are problems with all, but when are manufacturers going to address the problems at their level before reaching the consumer. The problem does exist with several Gm 2.ol turbos and the Soltice is just one. I will continue to work with the dealer and service to eliminate this sound. Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Loan is 25k sorry nice try
Old 04-12-2008, 12:20 PM

I find that,,at least until I can overcome the lack of an exhaust note , I just turn up the jams and all that pesky noise goes away..
If you wanted a quiet car then ya shoulda bought a quiet car....nothing personal..its just that theres always a trade off somewhere when you get into the " performance " side of the industry
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM

As many others have said here...

High pressure direct injection systems are ALWAYS going to make some kind of noise like this... it's just the nature of the beast.

Solutions to this problem, in the near term, will mostly involve additional sound insulation to isolate the customer from the noises...
Sound insulation adds considerable cost and MASS to the vehicle... further degrading fuel economy.

Everything is a trade off.

Maybe you could do some additional sound insulating on your own, if it is really bothering you that much? Perhaps putting in a stock HHR hood insulator and some dynamat on the firewall, under the carpet/IP area?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by nerraD
Perhaps putting in a stock HHR hood insulator and some dynamat on the firewall, under the carpet/IP area?
Perhaps people could come to appreciate the noise there cars make, its not a rattle, or a shake or shimmy. Its the sound of machanics, its a beautiful thing, should make you smile and put that right foot down a little more ofter, should make your heart beat, you know to let you know your still alive and driving a Chevrolet SS! Just my thoughts, what do I know, I just build custom cars for a living....
Old 04-13-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Budget
Perhaps people could come to appreciate the noise there cars make, its not a rattle, or a shake or shimmy. Its the sound of machanics, its a beautiful thing, should make you smile and put that right foot down a little more ofter, should make your heart beat, you know to let you know your still alive and driving a Chevrolet SS! Just my thoughts, what do I know, I just build custom cars for a living....
Agree with you here, you just have to understand what Jay is saying to appreciate what he means...........................
Old 04-13-2008, 12:06 PM

THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT, just a question. Is there a reason that the hood insulator was left off? Was is strictly a cost issue or is there some other reason?