HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR SS just lost all boost, but came back.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 PM

HHR SS just lost all boost, but came back.

Hey everyone. Just got home from work. I was driving on Rt. 80 and floored it to pass some idiot, and them immediately after lost all boost. No lights, just lost boost. Lost it for around 10 minutes worth of driving. Once I got onto side streets it came back, and stayed there all the way home.

Anyone have any ideas? I have the Stage 1 kit and a K&N air cleaner, but both have a few thousand miles on them with no problems. I heard nothing strange, just disappeared only to come back. Can't take it in until next week... Advice?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ambivalence
Hey everyone. Just got home from work. I was driving on Rt. 80 and floored it to pass some idiot, and them immediately after lost all boost. No lights, just lost boost. Lost it for around 10 minutes worth of driving. Once I got onto side streets it came back, and stayed there all the way home.

Anyone have any ideas? I have the Stage 1 kit and a K&N air cleaner, but both have a few thousand miles on them with no problems. I heard nothing strange, just disappeared only to come back. Can't take it in until next week... Advice?
Probably nothing to worry about...you may have been at high boost for a bit too long, and the car will enter limp mode when this occurs.

If it does not repeat, you're good to go :)
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks, I hope so. But I have driven it much harder before with no issue. That is what worries me.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 PM

Lose wire? Did they solder the wires or did the use the connectors?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM

I believe the guy just used the crimp connectors. It has been about 5,000 miles since then. I really don't feel like crawling in the snow with my soldering iron...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ambivalence
I believe the guy just used the crimp connectors. It has been about 5,000 miles since then. I really don't feel like crawling in the snow with my soldering iron...
I hear you about it not having happened before under even more spirited use. That's a bit unsettling.

You could try just re-crimping the connectors for now. Why GM allowed such a cheesy method, I will never know. Solder and heat shrink tubing should be de rigeur for any PCM harness mods.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 PM

Yes I will check all of the connections tomorrow when I have some light. This car has had some weird issues, especially the horn. It works most of the time, but sometimes stops working for no apparent. I have had it work when I parked, but it won't work when I come back to it. Bizarre, dealership had no clue. It ain't moisture either. I got the flickering boost gauge, but from what I read that was standard.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
I hear you about it not having happened before under even more spirited use. That's a bit unsettling.

You could try just re-crimping the connectors for now. Why GM allowed such a cheesy method, I will never know. Solder and heat shrink tubing should be de rigeur for any PCM harness mods.
The guy that fixed mine at the dealership ask that same question. LOL
Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 PM

Another thing you might try. Open the relay box that is under the hood and make sure all the fuses and relays are seated all the way. I had some wierd things happen on my GXP when I first got it and some of them were lose and that fixed it. When I bought my HHRSS the first thing I checked was the relay box and most of them were lose. May not be your problem but worth a look.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 PM

One other thing..there was a recall/tsb on some fastener to do with some of the piping. I was having erratic issues for a few weeks until it finally threw a code. Turned out I had an air leak-maybe a loose clamp/fitting somewhere.

Quick Reply: HHR SS just lost all boost, but came back.