HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How Much Power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM

How Much Power?

As it says in the title, how much power can the D/T handle before things start flying apart? I'd like to be in that 340-350 range with the ss( on paper of course). Thanks Jer
Old 09-16-2009, 08:55 PM

I believe it depends a lot on how you drive it. My best guess at HP for my setup is about 300 - 315 WHP, I never drop the clutch from a standstill, and only use full throttle in 2nd, 3rd, 4th. That said there are folks running similar power (maybe a bit more) that have clutch slippage problems, and have blown transmissions (usually at the track). Read Bill Hahn's write-ups on how to avoid drivetrain problems, and ask him the same question. Since the issue really is torque (mostly), if you went to a bigger turbo and raised the rpm for peak HP, but not the max torque, then 350 WHP is doable with stock drivetrain IMHO.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM

there are many cobalts in the 330-350 range and a couple in the 400 range...even on stock clutches. clutch depends on your driving style. but all of them are on stock internals. there's a solstice in the 450 range with a gt35. bottom line it's definately doable
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 PM

the trannies are quite strong...they will take 600hp pretty easily.....how you treat them will determine how long it will last....wheel hop will kill them at stock power levels....our shop drag car (95 Saab 900) uses the f25 trans (basically the same as our) and on slicks 600hp we launch at 5K and full boost.Heres a video from IFO at KC a couple weeks ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6GTT...layer_embedded
Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 AM

THe manual trannys are good like stated to 350-450 HP if driven hard. Cases crack diffs break and clutchs will not hold up without upgrades. If driven easy they will last a long time but then why did you mod the engine.

Note slicks and a sticky track often are the kiss of death for a stock drivelines with a more powerful engine. I deal with this every day at work. People upgrade the engine but not the tranny or clutch.

Make the right mods and it will go higher.

The GM transaxles are just are not as strand as the RWD tranny in the Sostice etc.

The Automatic transaxle stock will go 320-325 and then it is a matter of time if driven hard to when it will break. The guys who race GP's witht he 3800 usally start losing their trannys after they go north of that HP without mods to help.

I have seen them blow the diff right out of the case on the start line. The Fiero guys see the same with their Auto transaxles. Many of each will or have gone to the Cadillac transaxle as it is safe to little over 450 HP.

The new 6 speed Auto is all new. I have not seen the limits but have been told it will go at least 400 HP. But it will not fit the HHR. Too Big unless you mod the floor pan and firewall.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:47 PM

the slicks statement is not quite true.....on a FWD slicks are your best friend they will take most of the shock instead of the trans....drag radials on the other hand will get you into trouble in a hurry if you are not careful...trust me I know.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM

Thanks guys! This gives me a good idea of where I need to go. Sorry if I missed this, the LSD. Upgrades here are ? I had a TrueTrac from Detroit Locker in my Titan after I blew the dana 44. BTW...rarely do I go of the line hard as I lites the tires at 3k rpms, I love the down shift @ 60 to 3rd. 100% stock it spikes at 17psi, I can't wait to have the gm upgrade kit done. 10 days and counting lol lol. Any thoughts on the tunes on top of the gm kit?
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by crazysteve
the slicks statement is not quite true.....on a FWD slicks are your best friend they will take most of the shock instead of the trans....drag radials on the other hand will get you into trouble in a hurry if you are not careful...trust me I know.
You had better pass this along to the guys I sell FWD and RWD axles too whne they break theirs.

Most of the guys who have V8 Fiero's and the guys with modded GTP's also lose Diffs in their trannys once a stickier tire of any nature is put on with a more powerful engine than they were designed for.

Note not all slicks have tall sidewalls. I understand what your saying and it is only true to a point.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM

The traction is more relevant than the power. The FWD / street tire setup is pretty much the safety fuse on these things. Once you throw some slicks or drag radials on, they you can start breaking things at a surprisingly modest power level.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by mistermike
The traction is more relevant than the power. The FWD / street tire setup is pretty much the safety fuse on these things. Once you throw some slicks or drag radials on, they you can start breaking things at a surprisingly modest power level.
Street tires are and the Clutch. It helps absorb a lot of the shock till you replace it with something stronger then the shock goes else where in the drive line.

Quick Reply: How Much Power?