HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

innercooler pipe problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM

innercooler pipe problem

i have had my car in the shop to have the brake recall done. i was wondering if anyone else has had it done. the vaccume pump that was added is about to rub a hole in the inner cooler pipe.

Last edited by JJ's BLACK SS; 04-09-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:26 AM

its the Inter-cooler and whats your question though? I don't have the issue I have a standard. From what I hear the brake upgrade doesn't work anyways. so just let it idle for a minute or two before leaving and you will be fine. So I'm assuming that you should put some foam insulation or something in between the vacuum pump and inter-cooler piping or take it back to the dealer would be my options?
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Founding Member

There is a plastic rub patch (for lack of better wording) that comes with the kit that was supposed to be installed as a barrier between the pipe and the pump. If it's not there the tech failed to install it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM

auto = remote start = no brake problem
Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
auto = remote start = no brake problem
Take Auto SS to compendent dealer for free correct repair = vehicle operates in the manner it was intended = no brake problem and better quality of life.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
There is a plastic rub patch (for lack of better wording) that comes with the kit that was supposed to be installed as a barrier between the pipe and the pump. If it's not there the tech failed to install it.
tech failed to do so and i just lost boost pressure so i think it rubbed a hole in the pipe
Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 AM

yep-
Know your car.
Let it warm up a few seconds to build the required vacuum, place it in gear and drive.

Or take it in for the brake fix and live with the consequences.

The more I hear about this fix, the happier I am that I haven't done it.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:16 PM

I havde the fix and now I do not have to worry about the wife taking off and rolling into something.

The fix works and if you have a reliable dealer get it fixed majority have had no issues.

No wonder GM and dealers pull their hair out. People copmplain and go into rages because they were working on a fix and it would not come fast enough. Now it is here we have people telling other not to get it done?

As for a hole in the tube take it back and let them look at it.
It could also be cracked as some have on other SS's and be unrelated to the brake fix. Also a lose clamp or bad connection or even a lose map sensor could be the cause.

As for the fix I am one who had a wire plug issue. It took a few extra days to fix it. They gave me a car and never charged me a dime. If I had to do it again I would get it done ASAP.

Please if you can have yours fixed do yourself a favore and get it done. You may not only save your bumper but some one elses. Just takes one unknowing parking valet to finish it off as he goes to bring your car to the front of the hotel in the AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I havde the fix and now I do not have to worry about the wife taking off and rolling into something.

The fix works and if you have a reliable dealer get it fixed majority have had no issues.

No wonder GM and dealers pull their hair out. People copmplain and go into rages because they were working on a fix and it would not come fast enough. Now it is here we have people telling other not to get it done?

As for a hole in the tube take it back and let them look at it.
It could also be cracked as some have on other SS's and be unrelated to the brake fix. Also a lose clamp or bad connection or even a lose map sensor could be the cause.

As for the fix I am one who had a wire plug issue. It took a few extra days to fix it. They gave me a car and never charged me a dime. If I had to do it again I would get it done ASAP.

Please if you can have yours fixed do yourself a favore and get it done. You may not only save your bumper but some one elses. Just takes one unknowing parking valet to finish it off as he goes to bring your car to the front of the hotel in the AM.

I gave no advice to others not to perform the brake fix.

My comments center upon the fact that it appears to be less than a perfect solution. Others forum members have commented and complained about long installation delays, return visits for check engine lights, maintenance techs that are not familiar with the installation and wiring harness modifications that result in other problems. Now there's this intercooler pipe problem that results from improper installation.
No thank you.
I rely on my HHR to get me to work daily and have 26K miles on it since April 08 without a single problem. I recognize the brake issue (and so does my wife) and neither of us go into a panic if we have to push on the brake pedal a little harder. All drama aside, that's all it takes.

My fix- Let the car warm up for a few seconds (in Park). Find a pleasant radio station. Check your hair in the mirror. Then slip the car into gear and go.

hyperv6, if you are happy with your decision to have the vacuum pump installed, that's great. Just please stop trying to sell me on this procedure.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Along the lines the cure is worse then the problem.......

Quick Reply: innercooler pipe problem