HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

LHU Swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 PM

LHU Swap question

Can anyone tell me if the dealer Turbo upgrade will work with my swap, I have a 2012 Regal GS LHU engine in my 2008 SS , I still have the factory LNF ecm .
My buddy works at the local Buick/GMC dealership and said the Colbalt/HHR SS/ Soltice turbo upgrade is still available, the price has gone up to $815, but his cost is $670 , any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

It should work since the upgrade comes from the reflash (retune) and you are still using your original ECM. But why do you want to go with this ? It is a very old , outdated and costly upgrade. On top of the high cost of that kit, you would also need the plug-n-play harness if that kit doesn't have it. Another $110 or so. Then you have to have the reflash done at the dealer. That's another $200 or so. The dealer has to get the reflash files sent to them from GM and that may be an issue. Those files originally came from the GM Performance Division. That department was dissolved several years ago, so even getting the reflash files could be a problem.

I would suggest looking into an aftermarket tune. It would be a lot cheaper and easier to work with.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Check the ZZP site compare what is involved in the stage 2 upgrade
Old 07-20-2021, 10:15 AM

His buddy gave him a price, probably out-the-door.

That said, the GM tune wouldn't account for the upgraded fuel injectors, so ZZP may be a better option. You'd need the Bosch 3-bar TMAP sensors, with the plug and play adapters. You'd need to send them your ECM(and TCM, if applicable), either beforehand, so they can put the tune on it, or after, as a core.

That's it.

Is it a manual transmission? If so, how many miles are on the clutch? You may need a new one before applying a bunch more torque to it.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Look into the ZZP site, they will reflash your ECU , they have the bosh 3 bar sensors, upgraded fuel injectors, and more! My point was to just compare parts in the kits!
Old 07-20-2021, 11:25 AM

He already has the upgraded injectors.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
It should work since the upgrade comes from the reflash (retune) and you are still using your original ECM. But why do you want to go with this ? It is a very old , outdated and costly upgrade. On top of the high cost of that kit, you would also need the plug-n-play harness if that kit doesn't have it. Another $110 or so. Then you have to have the reflash done at the dealer. That's another $200 or so. The dealer has to get the reflash files sent to them from GM and that may be an issue. Those files originally came from the GM Performance Division. That department was dissolved several years ago, so even getting the reflash files could be a problem.

I would suggest looking into an aftermarket tune. It would be a lot cheaper and easier to work with.
thanks for the response guys, I realize that it's quite an old/ obsolete upgrade and it will be tuned with HP tuners in the future, but I've read a thread or two on here were people are tuning on top of the turbo upgrade and prefer to do it that way as the upgrade has some very good "safegards" in the tune like turbo overspeed protection among other things, ultimately the turbo upgrade won't cost me anything as I'm a contractor and will trade out the swap/install as part of the work I'm doing at the dealership.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
His buddy gave him a price, probably out-the-door.

That said, the GM tune wouldn't account for the upgraded fuel injectors, so ZZP may be a better option. You'd need the Bosch 3-bar TMAP sensors, with the plug and play adapters. You'd need to send them your ECM(and TCM, if applicable), either beforehand, so they can put the tune on it, or after, as a core.

That's it.

Is it a manual transmission? If so, how many miles are on the clutch? You may need a new one before applying a bunch more torque to it.
Yes it's a manual, the clutch, throw out bearing , and pilot bearing all have 5067 miles on them , they were replaced at the time of the swap along with many other pieces and parts , the engine now has 16,000 miles on it.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:37 AM

I will however look into the ZZP upgrade as an alternative, thanks for the info !
Old 07-20-2021, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
He already has the upgraded injectors.

RJ, where did he confirm he has upgraded injectors? Are you thinking they came with the LHU ?

Quick Reply: LHU Swap question