HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Lowering Spring options (Where to buy)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

So what is the drop amount to expect from the V5's ? I remember there was a difference between the V1 and V2's.

Also, do the V5's have the "dead coils" like the earlier versions ?

I tried to look up the specs on their website but couldn't find any info.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:54 PM

It's supposed to be the same drop as the V2's from what I understand and they level out the back instead of having the higher rear end sticking up.

The newer versions added the pigtail on the rears to make them easier to install over the older generations. He also mentioned that these are stronger than even the stock springs and it will offer a "better than factory ride" for every day driving.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM

They should be here Tuesday. Kind of tempted to take the day off to put them on
Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sinabu
They should be here Tuesday. Kind of tempted to take the day off to put them on

If you could, how about some pictures of the springs when installed. I would like to see how they "sit" in there. Especially the rears.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Sure thing. I had been reading on the other threads about dead coils etc.. The ones i have now do that.

Im so looking forward to the ride. If its as good as they say it is. I will be happy. I love the low look of the B&G's but I am not fond of the bounce.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:05 PM

People keep calling them dead coils....Its how lower springs are properly designed to hold themselves in place on a non-mcpherson system. John said himself he added those and had better results than when the individual coils were not touching.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by sinabu
I think im going to give the YYZ's a try, They are up to V5 now on the springs

I've had BG, Eibach and then YYZ.

The BG were rough and crash around, the Eibachs not much better with some bounce, the yyz's were perfect, really perfect until they settled.

Then the rears crashed and moved around, had them reinstalled, replaced all shocks and struts and bushings, but still the same and finally just went back to stock.

I called powell and asked about the settling and crashing and they told me they were made for the cobalt, but if I'd send them my stock springs for reference they'd make a set, but I just left it alone.

I love the lowered look, but tired quickly of the ride especially on semi rough streets.

Maybe the v5's are better, maybe I had an earlier version, don't know but these cars look so much different with just an inch of drop.

I like this car a lot but don't know why I've kept it. I bought it one owner with 20,000 miles and have replaced the trans, the high pressure fuel pump, had the same sensor problems with the gmtu upgrade which we chased for a year, new wiring harness, new shocks, new bushings and just recently a new turbo and I don't drive it that hard, I do drive fast, but not hard.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM

I've had the YYZ's on a few weeks now and they ride much better than the B&G's did but they do clunk around. It took them a bit before they starting making popping noises during turns etc. The B&G's were bouncy but at least they didn't make any noise.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Administrator

That noise is the coils binding together going over the bumps they open up just a bit then crunch down on any grit that gets in between those coils
Old 02-23-2015, 09:59 AM

The popping/bumping is coming from the fronts. The rears are silent. And its only when turning. No bumps needed to make it happen.

Quick Reply: Lowering Spring options (Where to buy)