HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Maybe getting an HHR SS IS a possibility after all...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM

Maybe getting an HHR SS IS a possibility after all...

An interesting twist in my "I'm getting a Torrent GXP instead of an HHR SS" / "I'm only getting AWD vehicles from here on out" saga...

To make a long story short, my dad is going to be coming into some cash with the sale of some real estate in the near future, and has expressed some interest in purchasing my daily driver and my classic car. We've already talked numbers, and it breaks down to me giving him my wife's (I mean my ) 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS and my 1958 Edsel Pacer in exchange for cash and his 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora with 150,000 miles (which I would trade in for some tolken cash back on a new car). None of this is possible until the real estate is completely sold.

The pros through the cons:

PROS:
- Since I purchased the Edsel several years ago, I've not been able to afford $ / time to do what needs to be done to it. With a new HHR SS, I'll be able to enjoy it EVERYDAY, and not have to stick any $ or time into it.
- My classic car stays in the family; I'll have the option to buy it back down the line if wanted / needed
- I dump the "NOT FUN to drive" stripped down / non warrantied 2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS
- New car, new warranty
- My dad gets a much more reliable / newer car for his long daily highway commute as well as a "toy"; we both don't have to pay taxes in our state on our transaction because the sales are between family members (we both save some cash).

WASH:
- The HHR SS doesn't have AWD, but neither does my 2004 Malibu LS
- I make a minimal monthly payment for my 1958 Edsel. If I'm able to sell both cars for what I discussed with my dad (and in turn put the $ down), my monthly payment on a new HHR SS will only go up about $50-$75 per month of what I'm paying now.

CONS:
- I don't like the idea of having two new cars; I've been trying to get on a "new car / old car" cycle.

You've all been reading my posts about the HHR SS over the last 6 months... you know how much I love it. Knowing that the Mrs. is taken care of with AWD on the new Torrent GXP, and knowing the fact that this could work out favorably for me and my dad without having a major impact $ wise, I'm considering the options...

Last edited by misterjensen; 02-20-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by misterjensen
CONS:
- I don't like the idea of having two new cars; I've been trying to get on a "new car / old car" cycle.
lemme guess, you don't want two new cars at the same time b/c when it's time to replace them you'll have TWO cars to replace instead of one?

makes sense i guess. :shrug:
in the long run i suppose it comes down to the AWD thing and the wisconsin winters. since i live in SD, i have no idea what you have to deal with on a daily basis. if the lack of AWD is so important, that might be the biggest drawback.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM

I've put my classic car up for sale. I've added an ad in the classifieds of this website so you can check it out.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...194#post240194
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
lemme guess, you don't want two new cars at the same time b/c when it's time to replace them you'll have TWO cars to replace instead of one?
Bingo. I was planning on replacing each of our cars on a staggered 6 year cycle (one car every 3 years). If I get an 08 or 09 HHR SS, I would have to replace it or the 08 Torrent GXP in 3 years so I don't have to replace both cars in 6 years.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by misterjensen
I've put my classic car up for sale. I've added an ad in the classifieds of this website so you can check it out.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...194#post240194
Did you look into placing an ad in Hemmings?
http://www.hemmings.com/
Old 02-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
Did you look into placing an ad in Hemmings?
http://www.hemmings.com/
Yup. I'll be posting it there too. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Buy yourself a nice USED 06 HHR, lots of them out there, they don't seem to hold their value(like all american cars it seems),then you still have a cool HHR, but a small payment. You can always buy an SS in a few years!