HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

MSRP up $750 on SS starting today

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Ya, but can they go below employee pricing?

That is what I keep tell everyone Employee pricing was not your best deal.

The prices went up from what I paid with employee pricing.

Most here thought they got a good deal on a 08 with an ss in the $24 K range.

I paid $22,750 and took off another $1,000 with my GM card rewards. I also got free slash guards and MP3 cord tossed in after I made the deal.

The bottom line is I got a $26,350 HHR SS Auto only missing the side airbag option for $21,750. With taxes and title I paid less than some paid with just the employee price without taxes and title not included.

Folks there are going to be some good deals in the next few months so watch and read the offers and make your deal. GM needs to move cars and dealers will deal if you go in prepared.

Also show the last 3 days when they need to clear their floor plan and meet their numbers.

A good example was a 08 SS I saw at Byers in Columbus was at $22,750 on the internet and I set my price with my dealer based on that. Byers raised the price on the web when Employee pricing came in. It went from $23,750 to the mid $23K range.

It is a buyers market!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 AM

Wow, I didn't think that was possible. I thought dealers could loose privileges for doing that, but you would be the one to know.
That's good to hear.
I think the price bump may have to do with giving employee pricing to everyone. Maybe a way to offset some of the losses.
Let's hope the US car companies survive all of this!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
That is what I keep tell everyone Employee pricing was not your best deal.

The prices went up from what I paid with employee pricing.

Most here thought they got a good deal on a 08 with an ss in the $24 K range.

I paid $22,750 and took off another $1,000 with my GM card rewards. I also got free slash guards and MP3 cord tossed in after I made the deal.

The bottom line is I got a $26,350 HHR SS Auto only missing the side airbag option for $21,750. With taxes and title I paid less than some paid with just the employee price without taxes and title not included.

Folks there are going to be some good deals in the next few months so watch and read the offers and make your deal. GM needs to move cars and dealers will deal if you go in prepared.

Also show the last 3 days when they need to clear their floor plan and meet their numbers.

A good example was a 08 SS I saw at Byers in Columbus was at $22,750 on the internet and I set my price with my dealer based on that. Byers raised the price on the web when Employee pricing came in. It went from $23,750 to the mid $23K range.

It is a buyers market!
Chevy Manager, let me ask another way, I have a family member looking at an import and I have been trying to sway them to a HHR, so I want to be sure I am telling them correctly.
Leaving out rebates, credit card rewards and give aways, can you offer a price that is lower than employee pricing?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Chevy Manager, let me ask another way, I have a family member looking at an import and I have been trying to sway them to a HHR, so I want to be sure I am telling them correctly.
Leaving out rebates, credit card rewards and give aways, can you offer a price that is lower than employee pricing?
Yes, only if the dealer is willing to go into the extra backend dollars. It won't be a great amount, but it never hurts to ask. And there is nothing out there from GM stating a dealer can't relinquish some of his profit funds to make the deal happen. My dealer did it for me in 2006, but he likes me.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Employee pricing from what I have been explained is not a set price and is much like incentives dealers offer.

GM will offfer employees more off on vehicles they want to move and less off on others. It is like Saturn pricing and it is a set price.

Good example is the H# Hummers where they want to move them and they have been marked down during employee pricing to advertised price in the paper of $22K. But on the better selling models like the Cobalt, HHR and Malibu the discounts were not as high.

I was also explained the dealers have to hold to the employee price or they could get in trouble. They can only offer the GM price and what incentive that is offered nothing more.

THe employee deal was goo if you wanted a large truck, trailbalzer or other vehicle GM had large supplies on. But the other cars the deals were not as good.

A week after buying my SS I got a 08 Malibu from the same dealer for my Mom. It was a V6 2LT that stickered at just over $26K and we got it for If I recall $20,400K and I did not have to even press them. It has everything V6 CD, 18" wheels Duel Exhaust tips, jewel coat red etc everything but the Sunroof.

Now at the same time I had a Spitzer Dealer tell me I could not get the deal I got and said they were lying to me. They offered me the same SS for $24,700. Well They did not lye and I got mine for the price Spitzer Chevy said they could not match.

I saw the same car for more during the Employee deals.

Shop around on the web as that is how I found my deal.

The funny thing is it was the dealer that also let me go on my first test drive of the SS a few months prior. I was lucky it was also the dealer most near my home. I expected I would have to go farther to save more. Some times you get lucky.

Know what you want and know what you want to pay. Be fair as the dealer need to make money but they can do better if they need to move cars. They have bills to pay. They can dip into "Hold back" money if needed to move cars.

Dealers can do Dealer Invoice price and make money.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM

I'm ordering one this week.. I don't mind a Dealer making some money,, But I don't want his entire profit for the month to come from 1 deal--mine!!

Is the following, in your opinion, reasonable?: I think that if the Dealer shows me the actual factory invoice when the car arrives, and has pre-agreed to sell me the car for $ 100 over the "cost" column total, that would be fine. The Dealer would also deduct any factory or regional consumer incentives in effect at the time of delivery.. Sound good??
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by sargechris
I'm ordering one this week.. I don't mind a Dealer making some money,, But I don't want his entire profit for the month to come from 1 deal--mine!!

Is the following, in your opinion, reasonable?: I think that if the Dealer shows me the actual factory invoice when the car arrives, and has pre-agreed to sell me the car for $ 100 over the "cost" column total, that would be fine. The Dealer would also deduct any factory or regional consumer incentives in effect at the time of delivery.. Sound good??
Yes.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Yes.
How does one know that it is the actual invoice......
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sargechris

Sound good to me. Take $100 over invoice and what ever incentive GM has
offered.

I know it is too late now to help but look into getting a GM Mastercard. Buy your gas on it and it is free money. If you pay it off at the end each month and you use the reward money it is at the least a free $1,000 they will take off your final price. I used $1,000 on the SS and $1,000 on the Malibu. Be sure to give it to them after you make your deal. IT cost the dealer nothing but it could keep them from giving you a better deal.

Get the card now and by the time you need a newcar again it will be available money for you.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
How does one know that it is the actual invoice......
I gotta include a certain level of trust--and I can check the #'s online also..

Quick Reply: MSRP up $750 on SS starting today