HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

My 1st Modification: Stage 1 Kit or...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM

My 1st Modification: Stage 1 Kit or...?

I purchased a manual '09 SS about a month ago and now I have some money to get started on the modifications. I've read and read through the site, entertained programmers and some other options, but ultimately it appears as though the Stage 1 kit is a no-brainer and should indeed be my first modification, especially given the fact I've only driven 1500 miles. I've got my local dealer quoting me at $650 for kit & install. I'm thinking that's a damn good deal. Thoughts anyone?? My knowledge is fairly limited in the turbo arena so I'd truly be grateful of whatever information you are kind enough to share. Would this be the first modification you would complete? What else should I consider (air filters, etc) if I do get the Stage 1 kit installed? Lastly, can you tune on top of the State 1 kit? Thanks for your time, I hope to learn a thing or two from each of you.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM

yes, you can tune on top of the Stage 1, ADM Performance was the first to do it, with rather good success as i recall, but others have now done it as well. the Stage 1 kit is a phenominal upgrade, and $650 installed is a great price. i paid about $550 for the kit itself, and was charged about $400 for the install, since i was the guinnea pig (dealership hardly knew WHAT was in the box i brought them, much less how to install it, so the job took like 4 hours...i really took it in the @$$ on the install, apparently my dealership is okay with charging the customer to train their techs, on the customer's car ). anyways, other upgrades to consider, the cheap ones, are the TWM short throw shifter (a magnificent piece indeed!), and your choice of brand rear sway bar. the most popular choice is Turbo Tech Racing (TTR), as theirs is a bit thicker than other options, thus a bit stiffer. i can personally vouch for all of these parts, as i have all of them installed on my personal SS, and love each one. i can't tell you about air filters, i am still running the stock filter. some like the K&N filter available for the stock intake, i personally don't like K&N, i know too many people that have had sensors crap out because they over-oil their filters during packaging. any more questions, go for it, there is a plethora of information out there, just gotta ask!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Yup you already got my 2 cents in the PM. Enjoy the car buddy
Old 09-30-2009, 01:05 PM

1. If you want to be sure that you are covered by warranty... Go with the GM kit.

2. If you want the best "bang for the buck" (but take your chances on warranty!), go for an aftermarket tune.

#1 is good for the warranty paranoid.

#2 is good for those wanting power.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Stage kit for sure. Wheels are the next biggest bang for the buck appearance wise in my opinion. Those should be 1 and 2 on your list unless you're happy with the SS rims.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 PM

If warranty is of concern get the gm tune now and after market tune later after you have your bolt on goodies to after market tune with.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Red face

I'm in the same boat JMxFxSS. I got mine 9/21/09. Loaded without Pioneer Premium and Reconfigurable Perf. Display. I had to settle for what I could find before the Cash for Clunkers ended. Boy that rusted out 87 Caprice served me well. I'm glade about the turbo boost gauge on pillar but I really wished for the Pioneer Premium. Anyway, I was thinking the Stage 1 Kit first but then I was wondering, when they reflash after the install, are they accomodating the hardware presently on the car or is it just a standard tables download? If they are tuning to your specific car, maybe it would be beneficial to do some simple mods first, warranty friendly of coarse(intake, exhaust, intercooler), to take advantage of the Chevy tech's download that makes their newly installed hardware work properly. Just a thought. Maybe there a GM tech out there that could give us some insight.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 PM

OK from talking with seveal forum members and an extensive call with Bill Hann(last week). The order of operations for the 2.0 LNF Turbo should or could go like this.........btw, not an expert, someone else may have a different opinion

1. Tune (GM)
2. IC pipes & BOV & Block off Plate
3. Exhaust from the DP back (catted please) and a dumper for racing
4. IC
5. CAI (unless Hann Ponies up, make your own) ask GCSD,XXL,or Mightymouse for sources.
6. BSR/ADM/Trifecta/HPTuners/Superchips (pick one) RE-TUNE

You can get parts locally made for you, a few guys have gone this route, since we had our cars before parts were even designed! You have come into the SS a year or so in, with only a year left in production. Chances are pretty good that most of us have been waiting for a mfg. CAI and with that product we will most likely see the end of production for new performance parts for our cars (I think they have made less than 8,500 SS's for 08-09), although with some work; cobalt, saturn sky, and redline parts might work be careful though as some of their performance parts are not better than our stock ones. The good news for this is Chevy wil keep the LNF 2.0 Turbo around for a while and who knows maybe look over seas for ideas, the Europeans have been running this engine for years. Cheers to you, on the purchase and have fun Rodding it out!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Yonash, BartSS, JoeR, a76marine, HHRSSouth, and last, but most definitely not least by any means, foolmoon design....THANKS so much for sharing your thoughts and supporting my initial decision. I'm just that much more stoked about the kit and what the future holds. You guys have saved me what I imagine would have been hours scouring the internet, researching too much. foolmoon, the list you provided will no doubt prove to be helpful. Having driven off the lot with a mere 6 miles on the odometer, I must admit keeping the warranty in tact is at least a concern for the time being. I'm gonna do my best to see what I can make out of this relationship with the dealer who's installing the Stage 1 kit. He says he has done this before on a Solstice (I believe, regardless same kit & engine) before and it went smoothly, says he likes these kind of projects so I'm optimistic about things. I do understand, of course, the build is gonna be different on the HHR, what I don't know is how beneficial his prior experience with the kit will be for me. That said, would anyone think I would come across as an a**hole if I brought the install instructions/photos/comments I've found on here for the kit? I'd be smooth with it, I dunno...not my court and I'm just not sure how to play it. This tech at the dealership will also be completing the recall install...I was wondering if those parts are located in an area he'll need to be around to install the kit later? Anyway, enough with my rambling, sorry bout that, these darn fingers get to rolling...Really, thanks again for being so responsive fellas; I'll undoubtedly be frequenting the site and be keeping an eye out for your input. And I'm always up for suggestions so feel free to keep it coming, folks. Good looking out, fellahs; I'll be reporting back with the results and impression of the kit.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:43 PM

You shouldn't have to take the info in to them, all the kits now should be updated along with the tech line on the proper way to do the install on the HHR SS. If it makes you feel any better mine was the first kit installed by my dealer and have not had any problems.

Quick Reply: My 1st Modification: Stage 1 Kit or...?