HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

My Editorial: Our HHR SS...Keeping Up In Today's World

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM

My Editorial: Our HHR SS...Keeping Up In Today's World

This is not a flame against our beloved HHR SS, just an observation and statement of reality. I did not pre write this. It's kinda just going to come out.

We chase the dream of having a faster car. We want to feel that thrill. Hear the sounds that things like turbos make. I chased my HHR SS from 2008 until December 2012 when I finally got my hands on it. I battled through years driving my over sized, underpowered 3800 Series II Grand Prix GT that even after decent modding only reached maybe 230-240HP, my snappy but retiree looking Saturn Aura XR and my well intended but dead-beat performance HHR 1LT.

So, I finally get my hands on an HHR SS only to realize I needed a tune to REALLY break it out. So, I get the GMTU. Now, yeah! that's what I'm talking about. I know it's still got more left with a Trifecta and other mods that are available depending on budget, but alas, I'm still under extended warranty.

That being said, I've made an observation that applies to all of us no matter what our level of mods....

EVERYONE including GM is slapping a turbo on a 2.0L and dropping it in every car they can. Now we have 270HP Malibu's(non-SS) coming out of the factory and the new SS branded cars are all V8 RWD. It seems I've once again fallen into a situation where I think I've reached a happy medium where my car is a true sleeper, only to realize I'm driving next to a bunch of other run-o-the-mill cars that tout comparable power numbers. It's not about pretending we ever had a supercar, just something that couldn't be touched by your average sedan.

I know it's not all about the power. This thing does turn heads(like wtf is that?). I can't help but feel that at the pace at which technology allows auto makers to pump power up in every car option out there, the more I'm going to have to try to win the powerball so I can go buy a brand new Corvette Z06 to get something that's really going to last as a standout, comfortable, daily driving street machine. The other option is to do a secret V8 RWD conversion which as we all follow that AMAZING progress in the "General" category of this forum, I realize again, I will need to win the Powerball before I call Chip Foose and drive a newly acquired General Lee while my HHR gets converted.

So, I could be blowing off steam, I could be commenting on the state of our aging HHR SS's that have been frozen in the timespan of a brief few years to be treasured for the unique performance wagon they are. Whichever the case, I get the feeling that this story has been written over and over again by everyone that has owned anything from a Model T, Roadrunner, Mustang, or GTO. Think about it. Many of those big, heavy V8 "Muscle Cars" we drool over can't compare in their stock form to our cars or other turbo'd or supercharged 4cyl or V6 cars. It's a never ending battle to stay ahead and be "special". Even if I mod more, at some point I guess I'll let the technology and horsepower pass me by without a care, put down the windows, slide back the moon roof and smile as I hit the gas and watch that friendly little needle jump to 23-25psi going down A1A.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
This is not a flame against our beloved HHR SS, just an observation and statement of reality. I did not pre write this. It's kinda just going to come out.

We chase the dream of having a faster car. We want to feel that thrill. Hear the sounds that things like turbos make. I chased my HHR SS from 2008 until December 2012 when I finally got my hands on it. I battled through years driving my over sized, underpowered 3800 Series II Grand Prix GT that even after decent modding only reached maybe 230-240HP, my snappy but retiree looking Saturn Aura XR and my well intended but dead-beat performance HHR 1LT.

So, I finally get my hands on an HHR SS only to realize I needed a tune to REALLY break it out. So, I get the GMTU. Now, yeah! that's what I'm talking about. I know it's still got more left with a Trifecta and other mods that are available depending on budget, but alas, I'm still under extended warranty.

That being said, I've made an observation that applies to all of us no matter what our level of mods....

EVERYONE including GM is slapping a turbo on a 2.0L and dropping it in every car they can. Now we have 270HP Malibu's(non-SS) coming out of the factory and the new SS branded cars are all V8 RWD. It seems I've once again fallen into a situation where I think I've reached a happy medium where my car is a true sleeper, only to realize I'm driving next to a bunch of other run-o-the-mill cars that tout comparable power numbers. It's not about pretending we ever had a supercar, just something that couldn't be touched by your average sedan.

I know it's not all about the power. This thing does turn heads(like wtf is that?). I can't help but feel that at the pace at which technology allows auto makers to pump power up in every car option out there, the more I'm going to have to try to win the powerball so I can go buy a brand new Corvette Z06 to get something that's really going to last as a standout, comfortable, daily driving street machine. The other option is to do a secret V8 RWD conversion which as we all follow that AMAZING progress in the "General" category of this forum, I realize again, I will need to win the Powerball before I call Chip Foose and drive a newly acquired General Lee while my HHR gets converted.

So, I could be blowing off steam, I could be commenting on the state of our aging HHR SS's that have been frozen in the timespan of a brief few years to be treasured for the unique performance wagon they are. Whichever the case, I get the feeling that this story has been written over and over again by everyone that has owned anything from a Model T, Roadrunner, Mustang, or GTO. Think about it. Many of those big, heavy V8 "Muscle Cars" we drool over can't compare in their stock form to our cars or other turbo'd or supercharged 4cyl or V6 cars. It's a never ending battle to stay ahead and be "special". Even if I mod more, at some point I guess I'll let the technology and horsepower pass me by without a care, put down the windows, slide back the moon roof and smile as I hit the gas and watch that friendly little needle jump to 23-25psi going down A1A.

Ya Did Good ... I see it that way myself and I don't even have an SS.

Even though many refer to the 2.4L as the Slug ... But With a Trifecta tune It's still a fun car to take for a drive.

The best way to keep your Sanity? ... Know your cars and Be careful who you Challenge.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:09 PM

1 thing our SS's have that most 300 horsepower cars dont? Horsepower to weight ratio...that Malibu is like 3700 lbs. The KIA with the turbo is a pig too...the turbos are for fuel economy in a lot of these newer cars. Every manufacturer it seems has gone to it with the government breathing down their throats
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I'm a Fan.........
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
I'm a Fan.........
Of? Lol
Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

HHR's and the amazing 2.0T......the ats tuned 400hp third gen block..
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM

These cars really should come tuned better from the factory. My automatic was such a turd to drive in stock form. With the HP tune now, I feel like I'm driving an entirely different car... Like where the eff did this 23psi come from and when will it stop pulling. Coming from the V8 RWD LS world it's hard to get used to. And I won't ever prefer fwd > rwd but, this car definitely has my respect and I'm glad to have found one.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:31 AM

Like it or not, sadly our platform [no longer produced] is becoming dated fairly quickly. The lifespan of whats trick and hot in cars, is about 3-4 years max, then new stuff, higher tech, trumps the old stuff. that's the way the cookie crumbles.
I bought my SS, in 09, because it was different and had potential. Now after four years and many mods, I now have the look I was after, along with the power[that I can consistently put down], and the handling I was after. Sadly, my SS is quickly becoming a dinosaur, with all the new higher tech cars comning out, or that are in the pipeline. Buick is bringing the turbo 4 GNX, and Caddy is bringing a over 400H.P. V6 out soon. Both will be rocket ships, to name a couple.
All my cars, have been unique, and modded, but I well know, only for a short time, before they two will be outdated. by higher tech stuff.
I'll enjoy my SS for awhile longer, and keep a eye out, for the next Hot thing to come down the pike. "Moon"
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
1 thing our SS's have that most 300 horsepower cars dont? Horsepower to weight ratio...that Malibu is like 3700 lbs. The KIA with the turbo is a pig too...the turbos are for fuel economy in a lot of these newer cars. Every manufacturer it seems has gone to it with the government breathing down their throats
Whats the weight on an HHR SS??
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM

My HHR SS is stock with the exception of being self-tuned with HP Tuners. I find that with a good reaction time off a red-light there isn't much out there that can catch me.
I live in a city which is full of BMW's and pick-up trucks as well..
I enjoy slapping around the pick-ups with my "Trucklet".
After all in Texas they think they're king of the road.
It's great when you stop at the next light and they pull up beside you avoiding eye contact.
There will always be faster vehicles that yours.
As a previous post said, "know your cars/trucks and choose wisely", after all if they do beat you they really can't brag about winning a race against a "Trucklet"!

Quick Reply: My Editorial: Our HHR SS...Keeping Up In Today's World