HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:01 AM

optima battery

Folks:
The battery on my 09 SS is just about dead. I would like to replace it with an Optima battery but Optima doesn't have a direct replacement. The question is has anyone fitted an Optima in their HHR? I suspect most Group 90's might fit but would like to know for sure....
Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Are they vented? If not, I wouldn't bother with an Optima. (I wouldn't bother with them anyway based on my past experience with them but I won't go into that here). At any rate, there other batteries out there that cost less, perform as well if not better than an Optima and have better warranties.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Are they vented? If not, I wouldn't bother with an Optima.
huh?

Optima batteries are designed as a sealed unit, so with that being said they don't need to be vented.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Don't buy an Optima; they're crap since they were bought out.

Jim
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rod Run
huh?

Optima batteries are designed as a sealed unit, so with that being said they don't need to be vented.
You only quoted part of my post. The point is I wouldn't bother with them...vented, sealed, whatever. That would just be one more reason.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM

I have an optima battery in my 08 hhr. It has been in service in my car sense it was new.

I wanted a deep cycle battery for my lights and siren for the fire department. Because my car could be on a scene with the lights on for hours. At the time there were not a lot of choices out there. Although the optima is not listed for the hhr I felt it was my best bet to work in a non vented application.

I have not had any problems with the battery 5 plus years. Make sure you google the battery there are a lot of options out there so you can make a informed decision.

I will go out and look at the group size that I have in a bit and let you know.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM

A group 90 should fit physically. I take no sides in brand debates.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
You only quoted part of my post. The point is I wouldn't bother with them...vented, sealed, whatever. That would just be one more reason.
I only quoted part of your post, because there was nothing worth noting in the rest.

I just don't understand your reasoning. It doesn't make sense that you would especially not want a battery because it is sealed? You would rather have a non-sealed battery that can leak acid all over your vehicle and needs to be maintained? Your reasoning sounds like the exact opposite reasons why someone should buy a sealed battery.

You sound like someone that had one bad experience with something and now thinks everyone should avoid them just because of that. I've sworn by Optimas for around 10 years now, without any regret. I've owned over a half-dozen of them and the only thing I have to say, is that a red top is better than a yellow top if you don't drive your car often.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM

GEEZ, read db/sb's 2 posts again. He did not present any reasoning or bitterness, just a "my own experience" thing.

And don't I remember you are a "made in the USA" guy? My memory may be bad.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM

I checked my battery number. It's a D34M. Here is a pic of it mounted. Sorry it's not a real good one but it was cold outside. It mount the same as the factory battery
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: optima battery