HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Potential HHR SS Owner

Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Potential HHR SS Owner

Hello all,

First off, let me introduce myself, my name is Mike and I am in the market for an HHR. I have previously been a PT GT guy but am looking for something newer now. Currently driving a Dodge Nitro R/T but am loping to trade up as I no longer need a big vehicle such as it.

Today I went and test drove a 2010 SS Auto with 69,000 miles. I was very disappointed with the lack of acceleration and power that the vehicle had. Accelerating from stop as well as passing power on the freeway left a lot to be desired in my opinion. I must admit I was expecting more. I am not looking for a race car, but my V6 Nitro has better power than the HHR did.

My question with this is am I expecting too much or does this sound like a case of a hard-driven vehicle that may have already been used up? Like I said before, I am not looking for a race car but something that will have a little get up when i need it. From the threads I have read on here, it seems this vehicle was a bad apple.

I love the size of the HHR and PT and would definitely like to get into one, just have to find the right one I guess.

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.

Apparently the one you drove had something wrong with it. Also, you should have turned off the TC and ESC to get the full effect.
These little cars, stock, are capable of roasting the tires off of it from a dead stop.
If you decide to drive that one again, turn the RPD screen (that thing on the top of the center dash) to the boost gauge. Stock boost should show about 14-17 lbs.. If it has the GMTU Stage 1, it should be around 19-23 lbs. If it's not producing the numbers of boost at WOT it most likely has a problem.
Boost is limited though in 1st gear.

I would suggest finding another one for a test drive, then you could compare the 2.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:41 PM

These cars are defiantly faster than a PT Cruiser GT.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Thank you for the responses. That is actually what I was hoping to hear. I really like these cars despite my first experience being less than desirable.
I don't recall the exact numbers but I do know the RPD was not showing any boost until I really gave it some throttle.
The one I drove today reminded me of my non-turbo PT it was that bad.
I will not be going back for this one. I guess the potential problems would explain why they were willing to offer me a pretty good deal, which I declined.
My search will continue!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 AM

You may want to get the 5 speed, because the car is fun to drive, so with a stick and the automatic both being stock the stick is a littler quicker too!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:36 PM

I owned a new PT and it was the absolute worst car I had ever owned. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Cool looking at first, but just a terrible car via engineering.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Administrator

I have four friends who asked me if they should buy a PT, 3 didn't listen and bought one and with in 18 months had auto transmission issues. The fourth bought a Neon, same platform same issues.
The good news is they all bought HHR's and love them
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Yes, a stock HHR SS auto, stock, is pitiful...
I still remember my test drive, in early April 2009, with the wife riding shotgun, & the
salesman in the the back seat.
I was going about 40mph, & stomped on the gas petal, & busted out laughing...
It was such a slow pig, no balls at all, my wife, & the salesman, didn't
know why I was laughing, & just thought that I had seen something
funny out the window...
I bought it, as I knew about the new GMPP tune, that was just released, in December of 2008,
would wake the beast up, from it's drunken stuper...
I never would've even considered buying it, if I didn't know about the GMPP tune, which was my
1st mod, a week after I bought it, in April 2009.
ALL auto HHR SS need a tune, any tune is better than stock...
Old 01-31-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
Yes, a stock HHR SS auto, stock, is pitiful...
I still remember my test drive, in early April 2009, with the wife riding shotgun, & the
salesman in the the back seat.
I was going about 40mph, & stomped on the gas petal, & busted out laughing...
It was such a slow pig, no balls at all, my wife, & the salesman, didn't
know why I was laughing, & just thought that I had seen something
funny out the window...
I bought it, as I knew about the new GMPP tune, that was just released, in December of 2008,
would wake the beast up, from it's drunken stuper...
I never would've even considered buying it, if I didn't know about the GMPP tune, which was my
1st mod, a week after I bought it, in April 2009.
ALL auto HHR SS need a tune, any tune is better than stock...
This is exactly the reaction I had the other day. What all is involved with the tune you speak of? I am no stranger to modding cars, just don't want to have to spend a good bit of money just to wake the vehicle up.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:14 PM

The 5 speed, aside from being more fun, has more HP stock. Easily fixable though. My inside door bottoms started rusting after the first winter. Have a look seeing as you're in the area. It's really a fun car to drive for what it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential HHR SS Owner