HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Question about delayed repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:01 AM

Question about delayed repair.

Well I took my SS into the dealership for the performance upgrade install and for them to check out a coolant leak on 12-18-2008. The upgrade was done, but I was told that I have a "blown turbo coolant bypass". They ordered the parts that day and told me monday it would be done. They hooked me up with a rental so I have wheels in the mean time.

Got a call on Monday and was told the part would have to come from the assembly line since it is not available. The next day I was told that the part would not be able to be shipped until after January 5th because of a "Shut Down" at the plant.

Here is my question,

At what point is it acceptable to ask them to pull a part off another new car on the lot to fix mine?

I think that at this point it would be cheaper for them since they have been paying for a rental since the 18th and at the soonest I will be returning the rental is when the car is fixed which will be somethime after the 7th.

Or,

Should I just accept things and wait until its done without saying anything. BTW I am going to have to make at least one trip to the dealer(40 miles round trip) before its done because the plates on the rental expire on 12-31.

opinions please.

SPPD
Old 12-26-2008, 11:02 AM

your living your life with someone elses ride. saving the miles on yor own.
would you have known the problem if you didnt take it in.
buying new sometimes does suck
Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM

One more thing. I am prohibited from crossing state lines with the rental and my wife cannot drive it according to the rental company which pretty much rules out any skiing on the weekends until mine is fixed.

I really don't want to burn bridges with my dealership because I do believe that they are being helpful and that there hands are tied, but it is just causing quite a bit of inconvienence for me.

It is a good point though about saving the miles on mine and wear and tear for my work commute in the storms we are having.

SPPD
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM

you can ask them to pull a part off a new car but they won't. I think they can't though don't quote me on it. New cars arent parts bins and if they tamper with a new car for parts I suspect they would have to let a customer that bought it that a part was "replaced". Besides the fact that they would not be able to sell that car while it's missing the part.

it sucks and it's frustrating but there isn't much you can do.
When I had my Saab and was given a loaner.......was a 12 year old car with 197K on it . I'd have loved a rental then.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sneezy
you can ask them to pull a part off a new car but they won't. I think they can't though don't quote me on it. New cars arent parts bins and if they tamper with a new car for parts I suspect they would have to let a customer that bought it that a part was "replaced". Besides the fact that they would not be able to sell that car while it's missing the part.
Ya that is what I thought too, but I remember reading that someone else on here or maybe several people had parts replaced off of other cars on the lot.

Ya the original post was mostly out of frustration without really thinking it through. I will just have to suck it up and deal with the frustration. This is the first new car I have had back in the shop in such a short time, and it is also the least expensive new car I have ever purchased so I guess I am just spoiled when it comes to not having issues. Don't get me wrong, price does not always equal quality. I am just used to not having issues and maybe it has been luck in the past or maybe it being a first model year, I dont know. just rambling at this point.

SPPD
Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 PM

Is this a loaner car from the dealership? Or one from an actual rental agency? Either way I would question your dealerships customer service. You should not be expected to waste your time/gas bringing the car back for new tags. They should bring them to you.
Also, what is the deal with not being able to cross state lines? We live in Southern Michigan and Chris works in Indiana. We've never had a loaner from Chevy but had one when we owned our Infiniti. No problems crossing state lines then.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Is this a loaner car from the dealership? Or one from an actual rental agency? Either way I would question your dealerships customer service. You should not be expected to waste your time/gas bringing the car back for new tags. They should bring them to you.
Also, what is the deal with not being able to cross state lines? We live in Southern Michigan and Chris works in Indiana. We've never had a loaner from Chevy but had one when we owned our Infiniti. No problems crossing state lines then.
It is from a rental agency located inside the dealership, but the dealership or GM not sure which one is picking up the tab. The rental agency said If I wanted to cross state lines I would have to buy the optional insurance for 15.95 per day. This information came from the rental car employee, not the dealership employee.
Assuming I were to buy the insurance to cross state lines I would be on the hook for roughly $334 bucks if I get the car back on the 7th. My insurance covers my car anywhere I go and covers damages to a rental, so it makes no sense to me, but the rental agency said it is there policy and protects them from any damages since the insurance laws vary from state to state.

SPPD
Old 12-26-2008, 02:31 PM

I sure feel your pain.Although I do like my SS,it has been back to the dealer more than any new car that I've had for not even being a year old and only 7,200 miles and I bought eleven new cars and last time I bought a Chevy was 68 and only kept it a year and a half.
The last two time they gave me a rental and I only live three miles from the dealer but my car was down two weeks.So far this time it's been down a week and they don't know when they'll get the parts.Melted a piston so they're going to rebuild the engine.Looks like it would have been better to get a short block but probably something to do with the VIN matching.

As far as getting a part off one that has left the factory that's a NO NO federal law.But they can take it off the car in the plant before certification.

All I can say is hurry up with the Camaro,I think I'll be getting rid of the HHR.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Call YOUR insurance company and ask them if you are covered by your policy. I am SURE that you are, cross the state line all you want buddy! They rental companies make a killing off things like that! Things you don't need!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:17 PM

2 Points:

One, your personal auto insurance covers you in all states of the USA while in a rental unless you have some sort of restrictions on you, "Dont leave town..."

Two, if you used a credit card for a deposit on the rental car you are covered as well.

Quick Reply: Question about delayed repair.