HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Question about warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 AM

Question about warranty

Are all the turbo components covered under GM's 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty?

Are repairs/replacement of turbo parts generally expensive?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Yes and yes.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:20 PM

What mods can violate that warranty? How about if you run regular gas versus premium?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Turbo replacements can get very pricey. I know a tune would void your warranty, but that's why it mirrors the stock tune and you can retune it to stock. Standard bolt ons shouldn't void the warranty and I think there is a law stating they have to prove the mod caused the damage or problems in order for them to void the warranty because of that. Could be wrong.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
XXL

Read this to better understand the warranty issue. It's NOT cut and dried, but just being able to articulate an understanding of the law when faced with an impudent dealer can often get things moving for you.

SEMA warranty info
Old 07-11-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
Read this to better understand the warranty issue. It's NOT cut and dried, but just being able to articulate an understanding of the law when faced with an impudent dealer can often get things moving for you.

SEMA warranty info
I could see this SEMA document being handy to have around here.....
G.B.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Founding Member

This is really a simple question. If you mod a vehicle and the mod causes a failure of a GM part it's not covered by GM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
This is really a simple question. If you mod a vehicle and the mod causes a failure of a GM part it's not covered by GM.
Agreed, but the answer isn't always as simple. Is my HRC tune proximate cause to a tooth falling off a transmission gear? Maybe. Maybe not. It could be that the tooth was flawed to start, and simply adding more "oomph" from the engine didn't cause an otherwise good part to fail. That's where this gets muddy... and before SEMA, Moss-Magnusun, etc., the dealer would simply say NO and that was it. Now there is an advocacy for consumers with LEGITIMATE claims.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by XXL
Agreed, but the answer isn't always as simple. Is my HRC tune proximate cause to a tooth falling off a transmission gear? Maybe. Maybe not. It could be that the tooth was flawed to start, and simply adding more "oomph" from the engine didn't cause an otherwise good part to fail. That's where this gets muddy... and before SEMA, Moss-Magnusun, etc., the dealer would simply say NO and that was it. Now there is an advocacy for consumers with LEGITIMATE claims.
Interesting example, and as you say, maybe, maybe not.....but "stretching" it to a possible perspective is even better.

When the dealer, in your example, says, their teardown displays premature failure of the tooth due to the tune (prima facia), it now becomes YOUR responsibility to prove otherwise. The initial SEMA info posted is accurate and reliable. But for you to employ the MM Act, in many instances, requires the hiring of an attorney, invested monies, time, hiring your "experts", and possibly the loss of the vehicle during the dispute.

My point.....many, MANY people support the cause of the MM ACT without clear understanding of the use.

Read the "Final Steps" section, particularly the second paragraph, again. This is very good information, folks. Utilizing the MM Warrranty Act is not just a matter of invoking the words and believing it is an automatic correction in your favor....it's a process.

Believe me, I know. I was part of a panel representing GM, in 4 instances. We awarded 2 to the consumers and 2 to GM. And the methods or circumstances mentioned in the reference paragraph, were that extreme (seizing the vehicle, under court order, as evidence.....3 months).

Now, I'm not saying the MM Warranty Act is not a good thing. I'm saying most people don't understand the mechanisms envolved of invoking that act. Please be aware of this, and understand YOU have SOME, TO ALL, of the responsibility when modding your vehicle.

Last edited by Snoopy; 07-12-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by Snoopy
YOU have SOME, TO ALL, of the responsibility when modding your vehicle.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Question about warranty