HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Replacing the OEM Michelin Pilots on the SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bdmccoy
I replaced my tires for all season this November. Only had 24000 miles on them, but really not trustworthy in any kind of bad weather. They do great on dry, and I found there's better traction for the take off too. I researched online and at Big O and my dealer. Got the best deal, the best info, and I think the best tire through my dealer. It's the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum.
It's a performance tire, so still does well. Better feel on the road - the Michelin's picked up every bump in the ride. 60,000 mile tire, $550 plus $45 for Big O to put them on. Check it! I am keeping the Michelins for the summer ride though. Only $5 a tire to switch them out. Know that you have to have the computer reset on the tires after it's done at the dealer, or you'll get misreads on your tire air pressure info.
Youre supposed to get the TPMS rebuild kit everytime you swap tires
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM

I need to get new tires before my next inspection in May this year. What is the widest tire that will fit the stock SS wheel?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
I was told by someone sometime ago that the goodyears have too much polyester. I was looking into getting them and was doing my research and thats what i got from an owner of a tire store/rim boutique that mainly focuses on exotics.
Too much Polyester? And why did they not like that?

Did they even know where and how it was used in the tire? Too often tire dealers are like car dealers and have little real knowledge of how and why tires either work or do not work.

Polyester cords have superior fatigue resistance and remarkably higher thermal stability,
improve the uniformity and sidewall appearance of radial tires. They are used in most street tires and have been since the mid 60's.

The only reason to use carbon cords or other higher strenght cord is in higher speed rated tires that cost $$$$. These are tires well beyond the capability of our SS and most daily driver uses.

I had a carbon fiber cord tire and wheel off a Bugatti GTS GT a few years back. It was good for up to250+ MPH but it would only last around 10,000 miles and cost $800.

The GT will meet most daily needs of a SS and will perform and last as well or better than even many higher priced tires. The real trick with todays tires is compounding. Polymer science has advanced tires more than anything in the last 10 years. The new compounds are giving us better performance and longer mileage than we have ever concieved.

The real key is to match the right performance tire to the application. Too often people pay a lot for a more tire than they really need. If it was a one tire works for all world we would only have one performance tire like it used to be.

Don't waste money and over pay for more tire than you need no matter who makes it.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

i get you hyper but the shop i called specialized in exotics so thats prolly why they told me that
Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by bartSS
i get you hyper but the shop i called specialized in exotics so thats prolly why they told me that
but we drive domestics.....

Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rallycobalt06
but we drive domestics.....

I know i know smartass haha
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM

It rains A LOT here on the west coast.

I am looking at the Dunlop Direzza ultra performance summer tires.

From what I have read, they are an excellent dry and wet tire.

My friend went with the Pirelli P-Zero's for his Mazdapeed 3 and he swears by the dry and especially the wet weather performance of those when compared to the OEM's that came with the Mazda (Bridgestone summer tires of some sort). Plus, the ride isn't as harsh as the Bridgestones....

So it will be either the Dunlops or the Pirellis....
Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
It rains A LOT here on the west coast.

I am looking at the Dunlop Direzza ultra performance summer tires.

From what I have read, they are an excellent dry and wet tire.

My friend went with the Pirelli P-Zero's for his Mazdapeed 3 and he swears by the dry and especially the wet weather performance of those when compared to the OEM's that came with the Mazda (Bridgestone summer tires of some sort). Plus, the ride isn't as harsh as the Bridgestones....

So it will be either the Dunlops or the Pirellis....
Many here might want to note that Goodyear owns Dunlop. Often you can get a similar tire to the Eagles at a lower price by going with Dunlop.

Goodyear and Dunlop are often made in the same factories.

They change the tread a little and details to make them look different but often have the same details that make for a good tire.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:35 PM

I had a set of the Direzza on the Euromax wheels when I bought them used..... There was quite a lot of tread left, over 50%, granted that's not new. I would rate them "okay" in the wet...... Nothing to write home about, Eagles are much better. The Dunlop's were great on dry roads as are the Goodyear. (No I don't own an SS, just talking about tire experience)
Old 02-08-2011, 06:31 PM

I've not liked Goodyear, Dunlop, or Perelli tires for various reasons. Go with Michelin or Bridgestone. Just my .02 worth

Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM Michelin Pilots on the SS