HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Sagging front bumper, clips wont hold

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 02:24 PM

Sagging front bumper, clips wont hold

This is the problem. Having with my front bumper, i cant seem to get each side to clip into the fenders. I feel stupid for even asking about this but ive never seen a bumper that clips in like this... All my other cars had bumpers that screwed into plastic expanding clips that screwed into the fender. Is there clips in the fender that i need to replace in order to get the little clip things on the bumper to clip into on the fender? Sorry i know it sounds confusing This was a towtruck that did this to my bumper in the first place. If i lift my bumper under the front lip, it goes in but its like the bumper is too heavy and it sags. Thanks for helping guys. Im embarrassed for asking i just dont feel like figuring it out for myself.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:27 PM

Am i answering my own question by saying i need new retaining clips GM part number 15827749 ?
Old 04-21-2023, 02:39 PM

I hope so cuz i just ordered both left and right lol. Thanks guys for answers i found on another post lol... Hope u all have a great weekend!!
Old 04-21-2023, 04:49 PM
Administrator

You got it !
Old 04-23-2023, 05:08 PM

Hey Blue how are ya man? Thanks for the reply! Is this a common problem for these? Ive only had the bumper off once and when i put it back on the tabs wouldnt click in... Now do i need to bend down the inside of the fender in order for the tabs to come in contact with the clips or do they just commonly break once the bumper is taken off? Sorry, the weather isnt nice enough yet for me to start tearing apart the bumpers. Id just hate to pay for these clips, which btw are $17/side and find out all i had to do is bend down the inner fender so the clips have contact, cuz right now when i push the clips into the fender they just pop back out again.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Depends on your installation, it doesn’t look like they are bent in, you might be able to lift the bumper cover up a touch and wiggle the cover into the clips. The headlights have a retainer to carry the weight of the bump over on either side, are those clipped into position?
Old 04-23-2023, 06:38 PM

Omg.. im gonna have to check now aboutthe retainers on the headlights cuz if i remember correctly i just screwed the bumper xover in along the top of and tried to clip them into the sides... Noring carrying the weight on the headlights .. guess im takin the bumper off tomorrow.... Thanks again Oldblue!!! Ill keep u posted brother!! You da man!!
Old 04-23-2023, 06:57 PM
Administrator

In your photos it appears the bumper cover isn’t seated correctly, just remove the screws on one side then seat that side. Put that side’s screws back into place then repeat on the other side.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:17 PM

Thats what im gonna attemp tomorrow brother... Somethings not right, and i wanna do this before the clips come in, id hate for the dealership to get pissy with me for special ordering parts without payment first and then realizing i dont need them. It may screw me for ordering parts in the future :/
Old 04-23-2023, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

I’ll bet you will need those new clips. Those on your car appear to broken. Maybe someone tried to force the bumper back into place, not knowing the tricky little way they attach.
I remember when I had my bumper cover off. Taking it off, if you don’t know how those clips release, can be frustrating. I recall wedging a small screwdriver in there to “pop” them loose. It worked but I was lucky not to break a clip.

Quick Reply: Sagging front bumper, clips wont hold