HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

"service ESC" message

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM

"service ESC" message

Well, it happened again tonight... This is the second time within a week. It happened last sunday and I took it in . Dealer said they could not detect a problem anymore, and that they just loaded the latest firmware or something. Now that it has resurfaced, I am going to not drive it till I can get it in so the code stays current. Maybe that will help the diagnosis.

Both times it said "service ESC" and then "service Traction Control" and also engine power reduced. Shut of the car, and when restarted I still have the check engine symbol still on, but not messages. Full engine power again...

Anyone else had this trouble? I am going to check the code in the morning with my scanner to see what that says...
Old 03-22-2009, 07:43 AM

If it shoots a code there should be a log file for them to look at. My buddy at work purchase the software and the adapter, man it's gotta be the best purcahse he's ever made man. He runs it on a laptop and stuff, the biggest expense is the adapter.

As for your error code, don't have an HHR right now, but hope too some day man

There are some parts shops like AutoZone and stuff that have the software and can check the codes for you and maybe let you know whats going on.

This sounds like he's had the same error.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...7&postcount=13

Hope this helps, Glenn |B)
Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks GWDavis28... I think that Malibu's error sounded like theirs was more a problem with the wiring/in the tilt column.

Well, I ran my code reader on it this am, and it is a P2138. That reads "TPS / Pedal Position Sensor / Switch D / E voltage correlation" That certainly soiunds specific enough that the tech should be able to track it down I would say. I am not exactly seeing what the Throttle position Sensor has to do with the ESC or TC, but maybe it is part of the system monitoring where all the controls are while you are driving so it knows if/when to trigger the ESC?

At any rate, I'll get it in soon and see if they can fix it for good this time! I am thinking I may wait till the stabilizer end links come in that they ordered, so I can get it all done at once.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Founding Member

This is a common repair for that and many other codes, but may not be your promlem.:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ip4549&page=19

TC and ESC are affected by how the ecm sees the engine data. If the engine has reduced power these lights may come on.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks ChevyMgr! That is something I will certainly mention and have them look at. I could see where it could be an intermittant shorting to ground that could cause this...

It was weird when it came on this last time as I was just basically cruising along at about 45 mph on a smooth road. The first time it was 25 mph and I hit a big bump or crack in the road when it tripped the SES light.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Just following up for any others that may have a similar problem in the future. I turns out there was a poor connection in the wiring harness down by the accelerator pedal itself. They had to replace the connector and add length to the harness to prevent it from happening again. Glad to have it back and seems to be fine now. Put over 200 miles on it since the repair.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM

I just threw a "service esc" indicator yesterday. It occurred on startup. I acknowledged it with with the DIC button and it has not come back.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
This is a common repair for that and many other codes, but may not be your promlem.:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ip4549&page=19

TC and ESC are affected by how the ecm sees the engine data. If the engine has reduced power these lights may come on.
Can't seem to find it on this page. Could you link the specific post? I can't rule out a brain cell shortage on my part.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 AM

Post 181???
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 09 Panel
Post 181???
Thanks!! It came up on a different page with my particular option settings. I thought it might contain a specific reference to a "service ESC" message, so that's what I was scanning for.

Quick Reply: "service ESC" message