HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Show off your IC

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Show off your IC

When I saw the new Hahn IC with the name printed on it, it got me to thinking about showing off our IC's
I added an inexpensive mod over the weekend that I thought I would share.

It looks really great at night but my night shots didn't come out. It just lights up the IC, you don't see the actual lights at all.

It is simply a self adhesive strip with LEDs. I have seen them at other stores, but got this one at Wally world for about $15. They had red and blue (I was afraid that blue would attract too much negative attention from the police) I also got the switch there for about $5.

Mounting the switch was straight forward although I would have preferred mounting it lower so it would be centered between the rear wiper switch and lighter plug. Can't do that because there is a post to stabilize the waterfall in that spot on the inside of the cover.

You have to remove the panel under the bumper (see my recent post about 'removing the lower IC grill"), then you simply clean the bottom of the steel bumper mount and stick it on with the included double sided tape.

Then put back the bottom bumper cover.

IMO the hardest part was fishing the wire through the firewall! What a PITA.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Word to the wise check your local laws.

A red light on the front of the car will get you a ticket faster than any other color.

We sell these strips where I work and we advetise that local laws need to be checked as we get call all the time from people wanting to return them after a ticket.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:53 PM

Oh man, I was afraid of that... Is blue any better?

Do you sell white?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 PM

In my state, and I assume most others, any forward facing red light is illegal on civilian vehicles (Emergency vehicles clearly don't apply).

Blue should be fine but many times you cannot be in motion with underbody lights activated. White, yellow, amber, etc should be okay, but do check with your local laws. Many times all it takes is an e-mail to your local PD traffic representative.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Try them. I have ordered things before from them.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM

In Md its RED and BLUE lights that are illegal. I believe its due to the fact that the same color lights are used on emergency vehicles.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Blackedout97
In Md its RED and BLUE lights that are illegal. I believe its due to the fact that the same color lights are used on emergency vehicles.
Same here
Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM

nice inexpensive mod. thats what im all about
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Oh man, I was afraid of that... Is blue any better?

Do you sell white?
Most state stick to DOT code and only approve White or Amber lights on the front.

The Neon lights were the same deal.

We have the red for the back and may be able to get the white and amber. But these and the neon don't sell like they used to.

I would have to check as I don't work sales and to be honest and no offense I just was never a fan of lights under a car. Just the era I am from. Because of that I just don't pay attention to them unless there is a problem with the products.

Now if you want to keep the red, most areas are like illegal no front plates and are only inforced in some citys and areas. You can turn them off in the Barney Fife areas and turn them on in the safe areas.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Ontario Highway Traffic Act has the same rules....."only white or amber lights to the front." (same rules for those who put lights where the wiper jets are on the hood). On private property or parking lots you are okay.....but not on the street. That's why the new stangs can get away with it inside the cabin of the vehicle-light doesn't emit outside.

I like the look though!!

Quick Reply: Show off your IC