HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

So How Do You Like Your New HHR SS So Far ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM

So How Do You Like Your New HHR SS So Far ? ?

I been sitting over here in the corner, quietly fuming to myself, hoping that no one will ask.

But since you ask :

I have put quite a few miles driving, and letting my wife drive with me as shotgun, and I have ramped it and crawled all around underneath.

All in all, it is a very nice package - well engineered, good quality of materials, and excellent workmanship.

Unfortunately, with the automatic, there is one glaring exception. They say that every genius is 1/10 idiot, so I suppose that the folks at the GM Performance Division could be excused for just one blunder.

But this blunder is a biggie, world class : The HHR SS automatic has the same inconclusive transmission control as the standard HHR. Not only do you not have control of precisely which gear you are in, but there is no way of knowing which gear you are in. This is strange, this vehicle supposedly being a "true SS" model, since other lesser, Non-SS Chevrolet models, using this same automatic transmission have a sport shift mode. Many other GM models have paddle shifters or a sport mode.

So the 2008 HHR SS automatic is truly neither Super nor Sport. The sport model of this transmission was sitting there on the shelf, with little new engineering required to specify it for the HHR SS, and they chose to not use it. By their own statement, 75% of buyers for the 2008 HHR SS are expected to be automatics, so one can only wonder why so much effort was spent developing the stick shift system, while the automatic was ignored.

This takes a huge chunk out of the "Fun to Drive" equation for me, and leaves me in a rather large quandry... I can only say that I am disappointed in those hot shoes at GM Performance - they have let me down, big time.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM

I'm dissapointed to hear you are not happy with the transmission. Maybe it will grow on you. There's a lot to be said for being able to stomp the pedal and let it rip. Is there anything that you do really like about the SS that is different than the LS models? .. other than the obvious speedy and good lookin.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Not trying to be rude here, but why not get the 5 speed can you not drive stick? If I were to get the SS there would be no doubt about the tranny, definate 5 speed. Just seems that a stick would add to the fun factor.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:39 PM

There are those with physical incapacities that can't handle a stick shift. It isn't a question of "should I get the stick or the auto ?" If it weren't for the availability of automatics, they would not be able to drive at all. with the advent of "Auto-Sticks" (whatever they are variously called), they are able to find a similar fun in driving enjoyed by stick shift drivers.

If a manufacturer is going to offer an automatic in a special performance vehicle, such as a Super Sport Chevrolet, in today's state of the art and marketplace, it would seem reasonable that they ought to at least make the automatic some version of an Auto-Stick.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

ralphb, my man.....

That is what GM calls "engineered" warranty. Keeps YOU from pulling the "guts" out of the trans.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Just my two cents, but the way manufacturing works today is to keep the price down, so I would imagine they used something "off the shelf" to cut the MSRP instead of engineering a new transmission from scratch, which they may also be doing as we speak. I would imagine there's only so much space in that engine compartment for both an engine and a transaxle.
Now if the sales figures for the HHRSS or HHR's in general really take off, you might see a heavy duty automatic come to market eventually.

TomR
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I think my main point may have been overlooked : There are 2 versions of this same Hydra-Matic 4T45 automatic transmission now in existence, one is used in the standard HHR (and other GM vehicles), and the other is an Auto-Stick version which allows for manual control of all gears. This version could be used in the HHR SS with little or no engineering or other costs involved.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM

Sorry you're having issues with your new car but here's an idea...

Since there are so few of these out right now, I bet you could get your money back or close to it by selling on ebay right now. Or... just post a classifieds thread on here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/retired-classifieds-%7C-buy-%7C-sell-%7C-trade-%7C-wanted-ads-16/

...that this is car, this is the color, these are the options, etc. and here's the price. Just come and get it. Seems like there are a few ppl on here Jonesin' for one of these and they just might take you up on it.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ralphb
I think my main point may have been overlooked : There are 2 versions of this same Hydra-Matic 4T45 automatic transmission now in existence, one is used in the standard HHR (and other GM vehicles), and the other is an Auto-Stick version which allows for manual control of all gears. This version could be used in the HHR SS with little or no engineering or other costs involved.
I don't think the 4T45E with manual shift control is available in any new GM car anymore. The 6T40/45/70 is the new transmission with manual shift control and that transmission probably would have added a significant amount to the cost of the HHR SS.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by ralphb
I had the Auto stick version in my couple year old Malibu Max. It was a
ok trans but the manual mode sucked. Still I would have liked a GOOD
auto trans option but according to an engineering friend in GM, the 5 speed
is a nice trans. The Aisian 5 spd manual in my 07 Solstice GXP is a so-so
trans. It is sticky at times- not smooth all the time and it does not seem
to make any sense as when it decides to shift poorly.