HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SRT 4 vs HHR SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM

nice write up, they should Auto cross them and see how they do i bet the SS will win that one over and over.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM

i didn't hear anything about the amount of torque steer in the SRT 4 vs. HHR SS.
As for me i love my SS
Old 05-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I never understood why they did ay with it.
Neons started in 1993/1994 when 2000 hit it was time for a new model so the MOPAR Division could keep up.... otherwise they probably would have ended up like Oldsmobile... EXTINCT!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:40 PM

I have an 05 SRT4 and an 08 SS I have to give it to Dodge they know how to make a rock solid performance engine and tranny. The SRT4 also has a Quaife LSD in the 05 models. I love mine I have had it since march of 2005
36k on it now. I got my SS to be my little grocery getter. But the SRT4 mods up easy and real nice. I did have to machine a few parts on the driveline to keep it from breaking but its been very reliable since.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Listen I test drove an SRT 4 and yes there is no doubt about it, its faster in a straight line but the amount of torque steer makes the car handle (especially coming out of a turn) like a wet noodle. A person who wants to drive one of these cars competitively (autocross or Road course) really has to be smart on the throttle cause the car is very capable but exhibits enormous understeer thats actually quite scary and made me turn away when looking for a replacement for the GTO. Now even though down on power the SS is a very very neutral car in terms of handling when autocrossing the SS even without the LSD the SS has barely any understeer. And under very hard cornering the SS actually exhibits a little bit of oversteer which was confusing for someone like me that came from a RWD vehicle and had to back of the throttle but to drive the SS fast I had to relearn just power through it and the car will right itself. The car is the most neutral handling FWD car I have ever drove and a lot of people that I let drive the car with 300+WHP race civics cant believe that the SS suspension is stock.

My final word is for someone that wants a 1/4 mile machine get the SRT4 with some M/T drag radials it will reward you with some awesome times. But if you want something for autocross or the occasional outing on the road course the SS is hands down the better choice.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by andyman8007
i didn't hear anything about the amount of torque steer in the SRT 4 vs. HHR SS.
As for me i love my SS
If the new one has a quaifee lsd the torque steer will be minimal. Mine 05 isnt bad at all and is modded pretty good.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sanddragger28
If the new one has a quaifee lsd the torque steer will be minimal. Mine 05 isnt bad at all and is modded pretty good.
Actually the torque steer is horrendous compared to the SS especially if you are launching with some revs built up.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by itschaboykenny
Neons started in 1993/1994 when 2000 hit it was time for a new model so the MOPAR Division could keep up.... otherwise they probably would have ended up like Oldsmobile... EXTINCT!
Errr... Plymouth?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTO to HHR
Listen I test drove an SRT 4 and yes there is no doubt about it, its faster in a straight line but the amount of torque steer makes the car handle (especially coming out of a turn) like a wet noodle. A person who wants to drive one of these cars competitively (autocross or Road course) really has to be smart on the throttle cause the car is very capable but exhibits enormous understeer thats actually quite scary and made me turn away when looking for a replacement for the GTO. Now even though down on power the SS is a very very neutral car in terms of handling when autocrossing the SS even without the LSD the SS has barely any understeer. And under very hard cornering the SS actually exhibits a little bit of oversteer which was confusing for someone like me that came from a RWD vehicle and had to back of the throttle but to drive the SS fast I had to relearn just power through it and the car will right itself. The car is the most neutral handling FWD car I have ever drove and a lot of people that I let drive the car with 300+WHP race civics cant believe that the SS suspension is stock.

My final word is for someone that wants a 1/4 mile machine get the SRT4 with some M/T drag radials it will reward you with some awesome times. But if you want something for autocross or the occasional outing on the road course the SS is hands down the better choice.
I emphatically agree with your driving perceptions. GM put an enormous amount of effort into engineeering the chassis dynamics on the HHR and Cobalt SS, including the development on the Nurburgring (where they both now hold course records). Even when we pump them up with more HP here at Hahn RaceCraft, they continue to stay composed.

I've worked with powerful FWD's for some time now, and this one leads its segment by far. In comparison, it seems Chrysler just didn't have the resourses to devote to Caliber in this department.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:07 AM

Bill, have you guys found the upper limit on power for the 2.0 liter Ecotec Turbo engine yet? I think I read where guys on a Solstice forum were able to achieve 330 hp (?) fairly easily with programming (??...) I could be mistaken.