HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS gas and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM

SS gas and reliability

Sorry I am not much of a reader - though I did look. And I know it was probably discussed before. Is it absolutely necessary to use something other than regular gas in an SS. Since I am having difficulty finding a fully loaded low mileage panel to replace mine I am thinking about getting an SS. Yes I drive lots of miles a year and would really prefer to use regular gas. (ok I did a rough calculation and it would cost me (22000 miles a year/ by 20 miles per gallon = 1100 gallons X extra 25 cents a gallon = extra $330). I also use this car year around. Is there any drawbacks with the turbo.? Are they reliable? As yes I would put my foot into it (I know ruins the 20 mile to gallon calculation LOL LOL) and it seems I read about a lot of problems with whatever the catch phrases are... boost and such. Thanks for as much information as you can present. I am running out of time. Inspection ends at the end of April and I really do not want to put $675 worth of tires on this car (see previous question) just to keep this car an extra month or so and then trading it in. Thanks again. John
Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

I changed the hotside pipe and intercooler went from 21 to 27 average even though premium cost more it gives more miles I drive 30k a year thats why I bought an SS life is too short and boring.Tires can change the whole dynamic of the ride I hardly ever get two years from a set while driving 3000miles a month the continuing 25$ payment is cheep to be driving on the best.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

DO NOT buy an SS if youre gonna be cheap and not run premium. But then again go ahead if you like knock and pulled timing. Turbo cars hate regular gas.

Knock knock........

/thread
Old 04-22-2011, 08:36 AM

Double poster you know young jedi you can edit your posts
Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 AM

92 octane at the lowest...
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
Double poster you know young jedi you can edit your posts
I did edit it doooood
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 AM

Have an 08 SS with Stage 1. My brother borrowed it and put 89 octane in it.
Loss of power was very obvious. According to your calculations it will cost less than $1 a day to run premium, that's a no brainer. Most of the issues you have read about involve poorly installed LNF Upgrade (Stage 1) kits. I say go for it! But remember your foot will be in it a lot more often and you can bump that tire price up a few hundred dollars
Old 04-22-2011, 02:07 PM

I put my foot into it, and I've averaged 27 over the last 3 tanks
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
I put my foot into it, and I've averaged 27 over the last 3 tanks
damn i average 23 with babying it
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM

This is a argument that is like politics and religion.

But reguardless of many feelings here this is what GM states.

If the car is listed as Premium Required you have to use it as it can and will damage the engine. All SS with the GMPD turbo upgrade kits that have been added will have this.

If the car list Premium Recomended you can run what you want with no fear of damage. Yes it will pull about 25 HP from the engine but it will hurt nothing on the engine. All stock SS come this way.

GM likes to give the option as there are many people who will not buy the better engines if they have to use the better gas. Yes as some like to point out it is petty but the fact is decreases the number of buyers that could and would buy the car.

I use premium as I have the Turbo upgrade and have no issues with the better gas. But I feel GM did the right thing as it gives the owner the option to choose what is right for them.

Trust me I had a SSEI Bonneville that was supercharged. It required premium. The car was in excellent shape but I had a lot of buyers love the car but would not buy it per the need for Premium.

Note my GTP Series III superchaged engine does give the option on fuel and it is right at 20 HP less on regular gas. It still runs better than a non Supercharged GTP but not as good as it can. The wife normally puts in regular and in 100,000 miles it has never given us an issue due to the fuel. If I drove it more it would have the better fuel but she is the one that has to drive it and she is happy.

So reguardless of personal view that is what GM deems and the choice is yours. Ther is no right or wrong just what is right for you.

Note right now every grade of fuel is high and premium is not that much higher anymore so per tank you really don't pay much more. Also if you get used to the extra power it is hard to give up.

Quick Reply: SS gas and reliability