HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Newbie here! (repost from General HHR forum)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Talking SS Newbie here! (repost from General HHR forum)

Hello to the forum!!
My name is Mark Harper and I hail from Central Texas, Georgetown to be exact. I just picked up my SS Friday. I have had this frickin' grin on my face ever since. My wife, Susan, has a matching one. Until a couple weeks ago I had never even come close to considering owning an HHR. I was hauling my daughter's belonging back up to Colorado Springs (she got tired of this Tx heat) with my '04 Suburban and was having lunch with my nephew and his wife before heading back down here. They have a HHR and were commenting on their gas mileage. I had planned on trading in the Suburban after the trip as $550/mo in gas for it was beginning to get to me. We didn't need the it for the size anymore as both daughters are 20 and on their own (more or less, they never really leave) which just leaves my 14 yo son to haul around. Well, when I got back in town I start searching the internet for HHR's. I didn't even know the SS existed but once I saw that they did and what they were, I was hooked. I wanted a manual but there were only two '08s that could be found in So. Texas. One ended up being sold a couple weeks ago and the other was Orange which the ol' lady nixed. Being a Horns fan I kinda liked it but I decided not to push the issue. So the next best was the automatic. I like the color and interior and at this point am very happy with my purchase. Now, I'd love to be able to go 155mph but I don't really think that I need to. I take pride in the fact that I haven't had a speeding ticket since '92 and I am already worried about keeping that streak alive even with the slushbox. You go to jail when you get stopped doing 155, don't you??
Enough about me, let's talk about the car.
From what I've read, the tranny is the weak link here. Correct? Short of driving like a granny, what can be done to insure that it has a long and useful life? Would synthetic fluid help?
I am wanting to keep this car for a long time. Part of insuring that happens is proper maintenance. Can someone recommend a good website or software app to manage/record maintenance?
What brake pads are recommended. Semi-metallic or ceramic. This will be driven about 70% city driving.
Mfg recommends premium gas. Is that required? Premium locally is 93 octane. Next step down is 89 octane.
Can I use Scotch-Gard on the fake suede?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice. One more thing; are there local events organized? I see a number of members in SA/So.Tx. How many of you out there are between Waco and San Antonio? Glad to be a part of the forum!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:39 PM

Welcome!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Congrats! I'm starting to get giddy that I may be getting my SS within a week or two. :)
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Welcome . . . I have the same feelings for my SS which I only got last week.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM
jx3

Name:  welcome-1-1.gif
Views: 25
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM

i'm talking to another member about putting on a texas meet. probably in the spring of 2009. that gives us time to set up events and secure places. just got to see who is interested. this would take place in galveston,but the meet could go as far as houston,which is to the north of us. oh...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by M.Harper
I have had this frickin' grin on my face ever since.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Welcome to the site.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM

By the way, the Transmission already has synthetic fluid in it.........
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks tomw. I knew the crankcase has syn, but didn't know about the tranny. What brand?

Quick Reply: SS Newbie here! (repost from General HHR forum)