HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

SS Turbo pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:31 PM

SS Turbo pistons

Any photos out there of factory pistons? Blew my motor and the guy I sold the car to says the pistons in the car are not correct. This is the top I'm told on my piston. Second is suppose to be what it is.
I'm told what it should be

What came out of my engine
Old 04-26-2019, 03:07 PM

I'm not directly involved in this, but I know where those photos came from, a Facebook thread that I commented on. I'm not involved in the sale of this car or the blown engine. But to clear the air, and the source of the photos...Your first photo is from my engine. Many in this forum know I rebuilt my engine last month and took dozens of photos. That photo was from my photo album and was posted in the FB thread last hour, to illustrate what an OEM piston looks like. The other "oily" photo is from the other guy's blown engine. My photo was posted in FB to merely illustrate what an OEM piston dome is supposed to look like. The 3rd ring land on OEM pistons is 2.0mm, while many aftermarket are 2.5mm. I learned this the hard way when I tried to install new aftermarket rings on my original OEM pistons.

Best of luck.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 PM

I'm the owner of the oily piston head lol. My car was a early production GM show car if that would help finding an answer.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure what answer you folks are looking for. Until that oily piston is pulled out, cleaned up and a better picture taken (the whole piston in pic), I'm not seeing a reason to declare them as different.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Not sure what answer you folks are looking for. Until that oily piston is pulled out, cleaned up and a better picture taken (the whole piston in pic), I'm not seeing a reason to declare them as different.
they are diffrent. My (oily) piston is a squared head, and the other one is round. I'll take another picture when I get home tonight. The question we are looking for is witch one is stick piston, because we have 2 stock blocks with diffrent pistons.. Just trying to get that figured out.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:05 PM
Technical Moderator

Who knows what it looked like before it got beat up?
What difference does it make? The new owner has to replace them. m_ridzon says that is his photo of a stock piston, what is the argument?

Do you know that when your subscription to Photobucket expires all of your pictures will disappear? Easy enough to host them here.
I am so confused! Who started this thread and why is someone else answering for them?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM

There is NO DISPUTE between Corey and I. Just curiosity about the different piston heads. He bought my car and I was upfront with him about the suspected damage. We are just trying to investigate the differences in the tops of the piston. He is replacing the engine and took it apart to just see what could be seen.

Both photos were sent to me by Corey. We are just curious. The engine had 197,000 miles on it. The only previous work I was aware of was a turbo replaced by mistake (dumb dealer), a fuel pump and normal things like plugs and brakes.

Car Background: The car was the GM western region show vehicle until it was sold to another member on this board in 2009 I believe. Due to health reasons, he sold it to me. I was the Vocational truck trade show marketing manager and my counterpart in Detroit for cars and light duty trucks told me it was his show vehicle.

The engine was never apart as far as I am aware of until now. We are curious about the piston style is all. No disputes and no friction... Help to ID the pistons is all.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:42 PM

Thanks for clearing that up @Hotrodbob . I sensed there might be a confrontation brewing, but it sounds like that's not the case.

Anyways...my piston if from an '09 SS. I'm not sure if different pistons were used in different production years. But for whatever it's worth, mine was original.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM

correct! No problems between us lol, just generally intrested in the reason for my engine and your engine to have 2 diffrent types of oem pistons lol.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:00 PM

The SS we are questioning is a 2008. The build date was 2/29/08. I can't locate the original sales date.

Originally Posted by m_ridzon
Thanks for clearing that up @Hotrodbob . I sensed there might be a confrontation brewing, but it sounds like that's not the case.

Anyways...my piston if from an '09 SS. I'm not sure if different pistons were used in different production years. But for whatever it's worth, mine was original.

Quick Reply: SS Turbo pistons