HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stage One Power Adder

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Stage One Power Adder

Got the HHr SS Stage Kit part #19212670 from crateenginedepot last week and got my dealer to install it. A niticeable difference in power. I have an automatic and my only drawback is with the traction control off, coming off the line it starts to build boost and spin the tires. About 5k rpm and as it goes past the 15 lb. boost mark it's as if the waste gate opens or a rev limiter kicks in and here I am rolling along at about 5200 rpm, still in first with my foot on the floor. As soon as I lift and stomp it down again we are off with no glitches all the way to about 22 lbs. boost and through third gear until well over 110 or whenever I let off. With the traction control on it never does the "hickup" although I can feel the T control doing it's thing until I get into 2nd gear. Anybody know what might be causing this? My only guess is with the traction off it's in the Launch Control mode and it might be sensing me getting over 5k rpm. Never been in a straight drive SS to actually see how the Launch Control works. Somebody please enlighten me. The guy at crateenginedepot said to go back to the dealer, hook it up and see if we see any kind of code when it does that.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

That's good you can notice an extra 55hp.I find by turning the whole system off it acts right. push traction control button and hold it 10 seconds it will say it is off. This also works well for removing the tread off the tires.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Sam, isn't this, "Burn Rubber" Mode?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM

Melt mode works too.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the tip. I went out and held the button for about 10 sec. It said Traction Off and then ECS OFF appeared so I did a couple launches. Sorry to say but no change. It frys the tires at first but lays down until I stab it again. With a little practice, I think I can master it. Hit it and try to keep the rpms under 5 while it's spinning, aka feathering the gas. It's a sleeper and I love it!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM

You don't want to lauch your SS at 4100 rpm's. It doesn't seem like your just powerbraking it off the line; but FYI if you do that it WILL roast the tires and you'll get that 'bog' before it shifts and scoots again. It's the ECU's software trying to save you from grenading your tranny! The best way I've found to launch the SS is to 1) put the trans selector in "I", then 2) launch from 2100-2500 rpm's (I've drag raced at Englishtown a few times already) and shift the selector to "D" once you hit 80 mph (you DON'T want to go faster than 80mph in I gear). You'll get a nice surge with minimal wheelspin and more importantly not get that bog between shifts. Hope that helps!

Later
Allex
Old 04-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Turn on Launch control. wont that change the engine bog? thats how it is for my auto the second i turn it on i can powerbrake with no issues at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

you people and your autos
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM

how much did you pay for your stage kit? im really thinking about getting one but everywhere has a different price and i dont know what to believe
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mmace311
Got the HHr SS Stage Kit part #19212670 from crateenginedepot last week and got my dealer to install it. A niticeable My only guess is with the traction off it's in the Launch Control mode and it might be sensing me getting over 5k rpm. Never been in a straight drive SS to actually see how the Launch Control works. Somebody please enlighten me. The guy at crateenginedepot said to go back to the dealer, hook it up and see if we see any kind of code when it does that.
My car did the same thing, I moved up the bumper, added harder motor mounts, still it was a crap shoot as to whether it would take off like a bat out of hell, then just shut off, or do that tank slapping rocking with the traction control trying to keep up but failing.

There are a lot of reasons for this, could be the sensor hitting the ac compressor, or it could be that these are the most computer sensitive cars on the planet.

My suggestion. Go to trifecta's hide a tune.

That stopped it for me and now it just goes.

IMO

Quick Reply: Stage One Power Adder