HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Stock SS airbox removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Stock SS airbox removal

Can someone give me information on removing the stock SS airbox. What size torx screws are used to secure it? How are the clips in the front removed?

I want to remove it to assist with IC piping installation.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:57 AM

Don't let those torque screws fool you. I admit, it did me at first. I got aggravated and then "OHHHH Damn"!!! Ok, the box just pulls straight up. Yes, those screws just slide threw the rubber graumets/washers. Don't mess with the screws AT ALL. First, pull air duct tubing from the box (intake,MAF tubing). Then carefully pull upwards. I use a small pry bar and kind of help it up while using my opposite hand. You should be good to go. "Oh yeah, just use needle nose pliers to pull those little metal clips from the screws; they should just slide out towards the radiator."
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

^^^ x2
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 AM

Great information! So none of the torx screws actually secure airbox to the intake or any other brackets?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Someone should take some pics and make a quick how-to of this!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks will come in handy changing out to 1 step colder plugs tomorrow
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Temple of Zoom
Great information! So none of the torx screws actually secure airbox to the intake or any other brackets?
That would be a big NOPE. Suprising isn't it. I even made (cut with dremel tool) a very short bit to fit in there only taking a nights sleep to say "you've got to be kidding me." After about three hours of #%&@ this #$& thing ^*&(!!!!! I walked right up to this thing and popped that B##ch right up. HOLY CRAP!!

The box sits in the midline of the car; even though its on top of the engine, it receives hardly any lateral,weight,or shaking leverage. So, the design allows for the box to have NOT much security. "Think of your muffler. It has multiple hooks and brackets. It has much lateral leverage; its needs to be helped out." When a cruise ship is a rockn', you go to the middle of the ship right.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM

i used a lil soapy water on the gromits and it comes off easy and once you have it off it will be easier next time
Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by JJ's BLACK SS
i used a lil soapy water on the grommets and it comes off easy and once you have it off it will be easier next time
This is a good tip, but still having probs... I have been soaking the back grommet (drivers side) for over 2 hrs. with soapy water and it still will not budge! I don't want to pry to much as I'm afraid to break the air box...

Of course I don't have a T25 torx wrench to get in there and remove the mounting post. I think that is my only option here. Gotta get this thing back together!

I certainly would advise any other SS owners to take there box off before you get to many miles and heat on there, or those grommets bond like glue!

Also, that connention of the air intake on the pass side is a bear to get off! I heated it slightly with a hair dryer to warm the plastic... so I could gently pry the top retainer clip off with a skinny screwdriver. Found that the bottom clip had already been broken off, probably at dealer when they worked on my thottle wiring harness some time back...
Old 08-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
This is a good tip, but still having probs... I have been soaking the back grommet (drivers side) for over 2 hrs. with soapy water and it still will not budge! I don't want to pry to much as I'm afraid to break the air box...

Of course I don't have a T25 torx wrench to get in there and remove the mounting post. I think that is my only option here. Gotta get this thing back together!

I certainly would advise any other SS owners to take there box off before you get to many miles and heat on there, or those grommets bond like glue!

Also, that connention of the air intake on the pass side is a bear to get off! I heated it slightly with a hair dryer to warm the plastic... so I could gently pry the top retainer clip off with a skinny screwdriver. Found that the bottom clip had already been broken off, probably at dealer when they worked on my thottle wiring harness some time back...
Here's what I've (carefully!) done: After popping the two front grommets loose, I've found that using a 12" breaker bar to "pop up" that rear grommet is what's worked best for me. I simply put a towel or thick piece of fabric on the valvecover, and using that as slight leverage put the other end of the breaker bar under that rear grommet tab and gently push up. I'ts popped off easily everytime I've done it and no damage to the valve cover either. Hope that helps.

Later
Allex

Quick Reply: Stock SS airbox removal