HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Sunroof wind deflector noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Sunroof wind deflector noise

Anyone have any fix for the insane amount of noise the pop up mesh wind deflector makes? Not interested in adding a moon roof visor as I hate the way they look. Just wondering if there was anything else. The noise is ridiculous. I had an 01' Olds Alero and the pop up wind deflector on that car was more like a plastic air dam(which makes more sense than a mesh one ). Just a bad design on GM's part.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM

There is nothing else

If your factory wind deflector is working correctly, other than the external deflectors there is nothing else available to my knowledge. In case you haven't tried it that way, the noise is even worse without the factory deflector!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

That is one's own opinion doctuh.

I believe there to be some sort of small clip that you can glue in under the glass on the sunroof to hold it in place. I have been contemplating this myself as I much prefer it without the mesh as oppose to with..
Old 04-12-2011, 02:59 PM

I wont even use my sunroof due to the noise created by the mesh.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:32 PM

I just crack all my windows by at least an inch, and the noise drops a good deal.

I don't tend to drive with it open much when going over 50, because it is hard on the MPG.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

I've had a sunroof in a VW and a CTS and wind noise by both were undesirable at high speeds. HHR is pretty much the same as I recall the past vehicles. I have always closed the sunroof at freeway speeds which lessens drag anyway. It's really only good for around town driving at lower speeds.

I understand that those hard deflectors work, but never wanted to install one on any of my vehicles, because you might as well close your sunroof halfway than to have one of those.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM

I was driving around today and tried holding the wind deflector down with my hand.....wow bad idea the sound is deafening! I was driving about 35mph and it is much better with the deflector. I really don't mind the noise from mine.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 AM

Pull the deflector down about half way and get the best of both worlds..its quieter but still redirects the air away...fashion some sort of restraint to limit travel and you'll be fine...
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Just turn the radio up or keep it closes.

The sunroof open is just another big window open in the car. The fact is it will make noise and with slope of the HHR roof you need the deflector.

They make the sun roof deflectors that kind of cover the leading edge and wraps around the opening of the car but they look bad.

Open air driving is great but it has it's daw backs with noise and wind. You have to take the bad with the good. Fore me the little noise is not issue. My other car is a lot worse for noise when I take the roof off but it is worth it.

Either way you need the deflector or you can damage the head liner as the air will hit it and get under it. So don't get any ideas of keeping it down unless you have something else in place to debflect the air up and out of the car.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

What, that glass roof actually OPENS???

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind deflector noise