HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Are these common HHR issues??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:43 AM

Are these common HHR issues??

*****UPDATE*****

1) What are the fuses I need to pull to reset the ECM? Is there a writeup on procedure, I looked for a little bit and didnt find much but disconnecting battery for 30min.

2) What is the ways to best way, most efficient and bes looks to getting a Black Bowtie on the front and back? Vinyl, Paint or Purchase?

3) Do I need to be programmed if I get a BadMob DP? Is it a good one? I can get the fouler programmed out right?

4) One keyfob works great, the other workes to unlock/lock but it sets off the alarm when I ress the remote start?

5) Safe or even worth it to run SeaFoam thruough our motors? If so where should I have it suck it in through?

6) What is the best spark plugs for our car...typically with boosted motors copper is the best. It is cheap and has the best and hottest spark. The only downside they only last 15k/20k miles which I don't mind, I want top performance

7) Widest tire we can use on stock rims? Bolt Pattern (110x5?) and what comon cars do we share this with?

8) A lot of cars have various small, Cheap and DIY mods that may not add mega HP but made the ride that much better and some do help the efficiency of the car....any threads?

9) Any specific brand, best bang for the buck interior floor mats and rear cargo space liner (with a lip) cuz I carry liquids around in the back and in case they spill I want them contained. Seen a lot on ebay but dont want to get sub-par products if you guys know good ones.

10) Was just reading about a rear window wiper delete, making the back smooth which I think could look VERY sleek. Any links to a writeup or does someone
have pics and general information on the details involved doing this?

=================================
Hello

Been driving my new SS for a week now and I have some questions for the seasoned drivers/owners here on the forums.

1) My front shocks make what sounds like my front end scraping the ground type noise when I hit a bump where the suspension travels far downward, like the back side of a speed bump drop?? Is this normal ans should I be concerned that my shocks are bad?

2) My sunroof, when in the closed position, rattles when hitting any decent size bump, I can push on it with my finger and it will move an 1/8 to 1/10 of an inch up and down like it is lose or something. Opening it or having it in the vent position helps this, but it is annoying and it's cold here in Michigan so that isnt always the best option. Is there a screws I can tighten or is the track possibly bent that would give it play like this?

3) Headlights suck, the spread is alright but the distance is horrible. I love HIDs and have a kit on my RegalGS from DDM that I was going to install already but was wondering if this is common or if I just need to angle the lights up more.

4) On my SS I bought a K&N direct factory replacement, so a cylinder filter that fits in the stock box. Now I wanted to hear it with the lid off, and I have to say it sounds sweet, but as many have said this throws a code and after about 30 min of driving it did CEL. I cleared it and it kept coming back so I threw the lid back on and only drove it about 15 miles and after startup, about 1 min exactly it still goes into limp mode not allowing any boost. Do I just need to drive longer/cycle more to get it to realize the lid is back on? Cant believe the lid traps that much noise and I assume with a tune I can leave the lid off? I am going to put some weather stripping on the front of the box if so to seal against the hood because I can see dryed dirty water on the top of the lid from driving in rain yesterday.

5) Anyway to make the foglights come on when the headlights come on without having to press the button?

6) Rear hatch hinges are making a noise right as you lift up like the piston is dirty or corroded but they are not, common?

7) Have and Aeroforce Interceptor in my Regal I want to bring to the SS but I cant figure out a good location for it? Any ideas or places you guys have stashed a nice gauge?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning a lot about my new SS!

Last edited by jmm121783; 01-28-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 AM

1- common, probably the front swaybar rotating in the cold rubber bushings
2- not common, get that fixed under warranty
3- most find our lights pretty bright, I get flashed by oncoming drivers now and then
4, 5- dunno, I dont have those options
6- fairly common, replace the lift struts, but may occur again especially when cold
7- swap out the pillar boost gauge, but check that you have the right type interceptor for the hhr. Im guessing its the same interface as the regal, but doesnt hurt to check.
Edit: thought you meant new regal turbo

oh, and post pics-regal too :)
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

I had my K&N in there, with no codes, but I didnt like the oil, so went back to the paper filter, seems that some SS dont mind the filter and others do.?
I have an extra set of bushings pm me if you would like they smoothed out my steering nicely.

If your end links havent been changed, most of us have changed to moogs they are greasable, and heavier than the stock ones.

Trifecta tune is awesome, Vince can dial in the boost you want, I'm running 25 it's got a lot of pull.

coolest guage pod I've seen is on this months featured HHR, Robb's SS
He gave me a tip to the mfg its here http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Unive...ome-Lip-1.aspx

here is a thread with lots of options robbs is post 131 check them out https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=guage+pods
Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Excellent, thanks for the responses.

I can get the sunroof fixed under warranty??

The K&N I am hoping today will fix itself, but if not I will reset the ECM

SS fan YGPM.....Ordering 55w Hi/Low HIDs from DDM tomorrow!! Let the modding begin
Yea I wanna keep the stock gauge so one of those dash mounted ones could work, but I wish someone made a dual pillar gauge for our cars.

Getting a Trifecta tune FOR SURE!

Will get pics of all my cars up shortly in a sig pic :)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rear hatch making noise when opening
- give the hinges and the piston rod of the lift struts a shot of WD40 (wipe the rods clean first) - may help get rid of the noise.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 AM

will do thanks whopper!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Huskyliners work real nice in the HHR, molded like a perfect factory fit, holds lots of water or sand, whatever.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by jmm121783
*****UPDATE*****

1) What are the fuses I need to pull to reset the ECM? Is there a writeup on procedure, I looked for a little bit and didnt find much but disconnecting battery for 30min.

2) What is the ways to best way, most efficient and bes looks to getting a Black Bowtie on the front and back? Vinyl, Paint or Purchase?

3) Do I need to be programmed if I get a BadMob DP? Is it a good one? I can get the fouler programmed out right?

4) One keyfob works great, the other workes to unlock/lock but it sets off the alarm when I ress the remote start?

5) Safe or even worth it to run SeaFoam thruough our motors? If so where should I have it suck it in through?

6) What is the best spark plugs for our car...typically with boosted motors copper is the best. It is cheap and has the best and hottest spark. The only downside they only last 15k/20k miles which I don't mind, I want top performance

7) Widest tire we can use on stock rims? Bolt Pattern (110x5?) and what comon cars do we share this with?

8) A lot of cars have various small, Cheap and DIY mods that may not add mega HP but made the ride that much better and some do help the efficiency of the car....any threads?

9) Any specific brand, best bang for the buck interior floor mats and rear cargo space liner (with a lip) cuz I carry liquids around in the back and in case they spill I want them contained. Seen a lot on ebay but dont want to get sub-par products if you guys know good ones.

10) Was just reading about a rear window wiper delete, making the back smooth which I think could look VERY sleek. Any links to a writeup or does someone
have pics and general information on the details involved doing this?

=================================
Hello

Been driving my new SS for a week now and I have some questions for the seasoned drivers/owners here on the forums.

1) My front shocks make what sounds like my front end scraping the ground type noise when I hit a bump where the suspension travels far downward, like the back side of a speed bump drop?? Is this normal ans should I be concerned that my shocks are bad?

2) My sunroof, when in the closed position, rattles when hitting any decent size bump, I can push on it with my finger and it will move an 1/8 to 1/10 of an inch up and down like it is lose or something. Opening it or having it in the vent position helps this, but it is annoying and it's cold here in Michigan so that isnt always the best option. Is there a screws I can tighten or is the track possibly bent that would give it play like this?

3) Headlights suck, the spread is alright but the distance is horrible. I love HIDs and have a kit on my RegalGS from DDM that I was going to install already but was wondering if this is common or if I just need to angle the lights up more.

4) On my SS I bought a K&N direct factory replacement, so a cylinder filter that fits in the stock box. Now I wanted to hear it with the lid off, and I have to say it sounds sweet, but as many have said this throws a code and after about 30 min of driving it did CEL. I cleared it and it kept coming back so I threw the lid back on and only drove it about 15 miles and after startup, about 1 min exactly it still goes into limp mode not allowing any boost. Do I just need to drive longer/cycle more to get it to realize the lid is back on? Cant believe the lid traps that much noise and I assume with a tune I can leave the lid off? I am going to put some weather stripping on the front of the box if so to seal against the hood because I can see dryed dirty water on the top of the lid from driving in rain yesterday.

5) Anyway to make the foglights come on when the headlights come on without having to press the button?

6) Rear hatch hinges are making a noise right as you lift up like the piston is dirty or corroded but they are not, common?

7) Have and Aeroforce Interceptor in my Regal I want to bring to the SS but I cant figure out a good location for it? Any ideas or places you guys have stashed a nice gauge?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning a lot about my new SS!
First set, key fob, yes they're cheap and break easily.

Second set. 1 through 6 yes, have no experience with 7.

There is a reason these cars are selling used for 13 to 16k.

IMO

BC
Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM

get rid of the k & n air filter. very suspension noises & hatch opening noises common in winter temps. they will go away when warm out.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:08 PM

thanks, my car has been out of limp mode now that the lid has been on long enough, but I still think it is peppier than the stock filter and sounds better I would like to do a custom intake if a tune will allow it to not go into LIMP mode.

Quick Reply: Are these common HHR issues??